Windows 7 BSOD found, still no clue what the cause might be

Try this:

1) Create a Restore Point using System Restore
2) Create a Repair disc by going to Start...All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc
3) Test the System Repair disc to make sure that you can get to the System Restore entry when you boot from the disk (you may also want to try actually using System Restore to make sure that it works)
4) Download this free program (Autoruns) and use it to disable any instances of PS2.sys that are starting (DO NOT DELETE - only disabled by removing the checkmark in the left hand column)
5) Check in Device Manager (to include showing hidden devices from the View menu item) and ensure that any instances of PS2.sys are "Un-installed" (DO NOT DISABLE THESE).
6) Check in the Services applet (services.msc) to be sure any instances of PS2.sys are disabled.
7) Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and rename the PS2.sys driver to PS2.BAD

In the event that the system doesn't boot:

1) Boot from the System Repair disc and use the Command Prompt option to rename PS2.BAD to PS2.sys
2) Boot from the System Repair disc and use the System Restore option to restore the system to a point before the changes were made.

Good luck!

Then restart the computer and make sure that the system works.

If it does, then do the same thing with msikbd.sys (both are located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers)

That is what I did for the PS2 up untill step 5 where I can`t uninstall the driver... because of the restart to complete the uninstall
But is it correct that I should not restart to complete the unistall but just go ahead and rename the driver before restarting?

You must locate the startup items in step 4 to ensure that it won't try to start
And, you must rename the driver in step 7 to ensure that it's not there to be reloaded

If it still comes back after this, then there's something else that's loading the driver (or the software that calls it up).

I tried everything I could think of but still it is there... I did turn it off in autorun rename it and tried to uninstall it without removing it, which autorestart the pc and there it is again... I did the same thing without uninstalling and it was there again I simply don`t know how to get rid of it

I thought I read a few posts back that there might be other causes to my BSOD is it usefull to persue those and come back later of is there another way to tackle the PS2 driver?

These 2 drivers are way too old to be compatible with Win7 - so I wonder how they got installed on your system.
There's plenty of other stuff to do, but it's (IMO) just poking around hoping to find something that might work.

I'd strongly suggest considering a backup, wipe, and reinstall of Windows in order to make sure you get rid of those problem drivers.

I put on windows 7 myself so if I am to do that again how can I make sure those old drivers are gone?
and how can it be that after years of using the pc succesfully I have all these problems all of a sudden?

I don't know how that old stuff got on your system - so I can't tell you what to do to avoid it.
What does the face of your Windows 7 disk say on it? Where did you get it from?

If you run your car for years, won't it have problems eventually?
Windows is the same way, plus when you add updates it affects everything that was installed previously (so a bad driver from long ago can work OK for a while and then stop working because it doesn't get along with the new updates).

After a very long pause another update; just before Christmas I reïnstalled windows and disconnected my not working CD/DVD station and so far so good, but PS2 keyboard driver is still here.. since I did all of the updates plus some more software changes( among others no deamon tools), so I think that it is safe to assume that the PS2 wasn`t to blame for my troubles.

My windows 7 was gained through a company with which my university has agreements about free software for their students, this is all online so there ain`t a disc, which is a good thing I suppose since I don`t have a working CD/DVD station, I can`t find the name of the company atm.

I am really glad that it all seems to have turned out for the best, and although I didn`t succeed in avoiding a windows reïnstall, coupled with all the troubles I had with selecting what I wanted to save, I am really thankful for your help and I did learn quite a lot, so thanks for all.

Just 2 days ago I mentioned all was solved after heaving no problems for over a month and today, suddenly startup problems and another BSOD...

Attached is the report, I did check the consistency of drive C: since that was something my pc recommended but nothing was found (did it twice)

Attachments

• W7F_23-01-2013.rar
    520.9 KB · Views: 242
People think that I'm crazy when I talk to a computer - but I avoid the "F" word ("Fixed") so they don't hear me. If they do hear me, then they'll break just to spite me!

Since it's been a month, we have to wonder if this is a re-occurrence of the previous problem - or an entirely new problem.
I'm going to start this out as an entirely new problem - and you can compare it with the old one to not any similarities.

No memory dumps in the attached report. Please check in C:\Windows\Minidump to see if there's anything there. Then check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.dmp - and check the date/timestamp on it. If you're using CCleaner - stop while we're troubleshooting this issue.

Only 117 updates after SP1 - most systems have 130/140 or more. Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates.

Your BIOS dates from 2008. Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any BIOS updates available for your system. Also check the readme file to see if they apply to the problems that you are having. Please be advised that flashing the BIOS is a very unforgiving process - and one mistake can physically damage your motherboard.

You have a Wireless Network USB Adapter 300N X2
I do not recommend using wireless USB network devices. Especially in Win7/Win8 systems.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7(and I suspect with Win8) - using Vista drivers with them is almost sure to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have Win7/Win8 drivers - DO NOT use Vista drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.

D: and H: drives are overfull. Please free up 15% free space on each hard drive (for Windows to do background things).

There may be issues with your copy of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSSE). Please:
- scan your system for malware that may have slipped by MSSE using some of these free scans: Free Online AntiMalware Resources
- Download a fresh copy of MSSE. Uninstall the current copy, reboot, then immediately install the freshly downloaded copy. Then immediately update it and perform a full system scan.

If that doesn't fix it (and there are no memory dumps showing in the areas I discussed earlier) - then try these free hardware diagnostics: Hardware Diagnostics

Since there have been BSOD`s while trying to do the recommended things, here is a small update;
In the windows folder I couldn`t find a memory dump but since the reinstall there has been no ccleaner on my pc (BTW. do you know a good replacement? Especially the remove all temporal files was useful).
There are no windows updates available except for silverlight which isn`t something I miss.
Which readme file are you refering to? And I am trying to find out how to update the bios since I got a .rom file from the asus site as update...
I have no clue how to see if a driver is for vista or 7, so how do I check that for the wireless usb device?
Didn`t get any further with my pc being slow and the BSOD`s..

Attached is another report, again without memory dump for unknown reasons

According to bitdefender my pc is still clean

Attachments

• W7F_23-01-2013_2.rar
    450.5 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
There are many reasons for not having a memory dump - here's a partial list of things that can go wrong with memory dump generations: BSOD Crash Dump Generation

The most common reason is hardware - so start with these free hardware diagnostics: Hardware Diagnostics
I'm especially interested in the hard drive diagnostic and the memory diagnostic.

CCleaner is fine to use - just don't let it delete memory dumps until you're sure that any memory dump problems are solved.

With any BIOS download there are usually 2 or 3 things also there:
- instructions on how to flash the BIOS
- sometimes there's a separate tool for flashing, sometimes it's included in the download (if all you have is a ROM file, then you don't have this).
- a file detailing the changes made since the last BIOS update (this is the "readme" file I referred to).

As for checking compatibility. When you go do download the driver it'll say if it's intended for Win7 or not - if it only says Vista, then you don't want it!!! But, if it were me, I'd remove it entirely until the BSOD's are solved (either use a long wire or a wireless card that plugs into your motherboard).

Good luck!

I still haven`t made any progress since my last post since I don`t really have any spare time at the moment and are quite dependable on my pc for now(have exams next week) but I found a new notification which I find quite strange, windows is coming up with a notification that I should "Install power management system driver" since the windows system itself fails to come up with a solution and googling didn`t make matters any clearer, for me, please tell me what I could do about it.

I have no clue as to what the power management thing is - and the Asus website doesn't list any power management software for your system.

Do you have any other stuff attached to your system that might need power management?

What happens when you open the power management applet in Windows ( powercfg.cpl )?

Back