Windows 7 BSOD on Windows 7 - both in normal and safe mode

tenshi04

Hi,

I hope that I am posting in the correct forum - please forgive me if I am not and/or redirect me to the correct area.

I have a DELL system running Windows 7 Home. It has been running smoothly for the past 3 years and now all of a sudden, I began getting the BSOD.

I have run Memtest on the RAM and they all seem to pass (ran with all 4 sticks in - I have 6gbs of ram... 1gb + 1gb + 2gb + 2gb). I have tried different configurations (removing some sticks) but my computer still seems to BSOD or lockup/freeze on me. I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe it could be the RAM.

I've run chkdsk on the harddrives and nothing has come up in terms of issues.

The BSOD comes up both in NORMAL and SAFE MODE. What does it mean if it is still occuring in SAFE MODE? does it mean its a hardware issue and not a driver issue?

My Error messages from the BSOD are completely random - in that, i've seen a handful of them and they dont seem to show up as a consistent error code every time. The BSOD won't appear immediately, but after some use/time. The machine will either:
1. BSOD
2. Freeze and lock up
3. "Blur" the screen and freeze.

I have a few dump files that I could provide.

Can anyone suggest some steps/procedures to help me diagnose this? Let me know if you need more information from me.

Thanks!

tenshi04,

Sorry to hear about your issue. If you could provide the BSOD errors as well as the dump files here on the thread. It would be helpful in trying to resolve the issues you are having with the computer. You can also run the Dell PC Diagnostics from the link below. This may determine if the problem is hardware of software. Please post back with the outcome of the Diags here on this thread. Provide the Dell Computer model that you have as well.

Dell PC Diagnostics

Thank You,
Dell-Jesse L
Dell Social Media and Communities

Hi Jesse,

Thank you in advance for your help with my computer. I am posting the specs to my computer (as they were given to me by my order a few years ago) - the info may or may not help. I'll post the .dmp file and the result of the DELL PC Diagnostics after this one (it's currently running right now)

QuantityItem NumberDescription
224-4993
INSPIRON 545, MT BLACK BEZEL
310-8626
VISTA PREMIUM STICKER,DIM
313-2198
NO SPEAKER REQUESTED,DIMENSION
313-3137
NO DIAL UP MODEM REQUESTED,DT
313-7593
16X DVD+/-RW Drive,GMT
313-7609
BLACK BEZEL,GMT
313-8344
INTEGRATED 7.1 CHANNEL AUDIO, 545MT/ST
317-0418
INSPIRON MT, CORE 2 QUAD Q8300 (2.5 GHZ)
317-0423
6GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz,GMT
320-7920
Dell Consumer FPM (S2309),Geneva
320-8163
ATI RADEON HD 4350 512MB, GMT
330-0916
DELL USB OPTICAL MOUSE,IDT
330-3620
DELL USB ENTRY KEYBOARD,KL,ENG,I/S/X DT
330-4341
DELL RESOURCE DVD,BACK-UP,G545 MT/ST
341-5008
NO FLOPPY DRIVE OR MEDIA CARD READER
341-8884
1TB SERIAL ATA 2,7200 RPM,DIM,X
410-1867
ADOBE READER 9.0,MLANG,I/S/X DT
412-0148
NO ISP REQUESTED
420-6436
PC-RESTORE, DIM/INSP
420-8149
ROXIO CREATOR 10.2 DELL ED,FI,IDT/XPS
420-8873
DELL DOCK CONSUMER, XPS DT/IDT
420-9105
EBAY WEB ACCESS ICON,IDT/SDT
420-9130
WIN VISTA SP1 HOME PREM 64,ENG,IDT
421-0092
DELL-DOWNLOAD-FLAG
421-0323
WINDOWS LIVE SEARCH,MUI,CSMR NB/DT
421-0997
POWER DVD 8.3,SW,DVD,CDT
430-0412
INTEGRATED NIC CARD

Here is the .rar of a few of the most recent .dmp files. the error codes are never the same twice and seem to change.

Attachments

• 20121015_minidump.rar
    464.1 KB · Views: 290
Hi Jesse,
I am trying to run the DELL Diagnostics - it seems to pass the first sections of the test, but just when it gets to the video tests (just before..or actually on it), the monitor screen goes grey/blank. Is this normal? I'm not sure if I am supposed to wait for it to finish (that this is normal) or my computer has messed up. Can you let me know?

Thanks

Hi Jesse,

I ran the DELL Diagnostic tool twice and it seemed to freeze up (twice) when it was doing the video tests. I ended up removing my video card and using the onboard video card and it finally continues past those test (of course, leading me to believe that it may be an issue with the video card - ATI RADEON HD 4350)

When there the test completed, there were a few issues - here are the results (note, the video issues may be because i hadn't installed the drivers for the onboard video card?)

Attachments

• delldiag.png
    delldiag.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 358
  • delldiag2.jpg
    delldiag2.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 373
tenshi04,

After looking at the results I dont really see any Hardware issues except for your video card. Yes, it does need a driver installed. . The optical drive test would need a cd/dvd in the drive to run the test on it as well. You may want to format and reinstall Windows Vista to get a fresh install. You can click the link below for steps on installing your Operating System and Drivers. Please post back after formatting and installing windows.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thank You,
Dell-Jesse
Dell Social Media and Communities

Hi Jesse,

Actually the OS on there is Windows 7.

As for the video card, are you referring to the ATI Radeon HD 4350 video card or the On-Board one? With the ATI Radeon, I was unable to even run the DELL Diagnostics as the computer froze twice during video tests.

Any other advice?

tenshi04,

I would leave the ATI card out and just reinstall with the onboard video. This card could be causing you all the issues. Below is information on installing Winows 7.

Thanks,
Jesse

Back
Top Bottom