Windows 10 BSOD possibly associated network drivers?

agmi

Honorable Member
I had an old ws parked in the garage since 2017 (cus he was giving me lots of BSOD headaches since Win10) and now with lockdown I decided to give it to my daughter to do her schooling in order to save wife's notebook. It is an old machine dating almost (old)10 years with 2 SSDs (from OCZ, long gone) with Win10 and Linux (Ubuntu distro). I still have the same issues, one or two BSOD daily and I would give it a last chance, before trashing it. It runs on a Phenom II 1090T cpu, and you if guys enlighten me and tell me that the issue is the mb, which could be a possibility, I do have another one (brand new in box Gigabyte GA-78LMT), I would swap/replace it.
I have had driver issues with the network card in the past (I had an add on from Trendnet) and I had disabled the one on the MB. Now I enabled the one from the MB and I removed the add on. My daughter's online schooling started with Linux to avoid the issues (BSOD) I had in the past with Win10, but she had issues with skype so we went back to Win10. A couple of days later we started having BSODs again.
I also noticed that I have frequent loss of connectivity with Win10. I replaced the CAT6 cable and the problem persists, until it would go away by miracle. No connectivity issues with Linux tho. Realtek diagnostic tool pointed at the cable, which was replaced. Different link speeds reported during testing, 100 & 1000Mb. There isn't bootloader installed. Boot SSD gets selected (better say OS) by pressing F8 during booting. From Linux I can boot to Win10, but not when the SSD with Win10 gets selected to boot. This isn't important cus booting isn't the issue. BSOD is the issue together with loss of connectivity. I would greatly appreciate if you could be of some help.

Attachments

• W7F_16-03-2021a.rar
    936.1 KB · Views: 168
  • REALTEK DIAG UTILITY.pdf
    744.8 KB · Views: 204
  • WIN 10 Network diagnostics.pdf
    629 KB · Views: 192
My daughter's online schooling started with Linux to avoid the issues (BSOD) I had in the past with Win10, but she had issues with skype so we went back to Win10
Rather than spending time trying to identify the cause of the BSOD in Windows 10, I would install Linux Debian Stable (Buster).
I have been using it for many years and Skype (Zoom too) works without any problem.
I can help you with installation and configuration if you want.

Hi,

the only third party driver i could find mentioned is cmudaxp.sys which is a sound driver.

I did check your motherboards support page:
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product M4A87TD EVO
M4A87TD EVO - Support

I couldn't find anything apart from a bios update so I'm assuming that Windows 10 'should' carry the necessary drivers due to it being essentially a legacy product.

Windows itself may have become corrupt in which case these scans may help:

Find command prompt, right click on it and run as aministrator. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Also try running Windows update as it may have updates relating to drivers?

Back