Windows 7 BSOD when installing Windows 7 in AHCI mode

JureS

Hi guys, I'll try to explain my problem in as few words as possible.

First thing, my build:
Board: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
CPU: Core i7 870 @ 2,93 Ghz
Graphic: Sapphire AMD Radeon 8670
Mushkin 2x2Gb Red Culvert Kit @ 1600Mhz CAS 6-7-7-18
Seagate 320 GB SATA II HDD
+ WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HDD
Running: Windows 7 Ultimate
Trying to install: Windows 7 Ultimat
PSU: LC Power Arkangel 850W

Ok so here's the deal. I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed on my 320 Gb HDD and everything is running ok. I just bought a WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III disk and I want to install Windows 7 there, since the disk is faster.
Here's what happens. When I connect the disk (it is connected GSATA 3 connectors), the disk will be recognized in bios and in Windows, but wont show under My Computer. I figured it must be some software bug so I formatted the disk in diskpart (clean format) and installed Windows 7 on it. At that time the GSATA 3 interface was set to IDE mode. It ran fine but after installing a big batch of Windows updates, the system hung at windows startup screen. After restoring the system to a previous state (i.e. before the updates), the system booted up normally.
I didnt know what was wrong so I formatted again, and this time I set the GSATA 3 to AHCI mode, since I realized this is a better option. When installing in AHCI mode, the computer expands the windows files but when the system is restarted, I get a BSOD (code Stop 0x000000B4 video driver failed to initialize) at Setup is updating registry settings. I really want to use the AHCI mode, but I cant get the system to work in IDE either so its really a bugger. I have no idea what could be causing this as the system works fine when using the other disk. Can the BSOD be caused by the HDD? Anyway, I' open to suggestions since I really want to start using the disk. Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I have tried installing Windows 7 from a dvd as well as from a USB key.

Thank you,

J

BSOD 0x000000B4 usually occurs because of a conflict with the parallel port and the video card.

Mushkin 2x2Gb Red Culvert Kit @ 1600Mhz CAS 6-7-7-18 - are you sure it's set right?

Thank you for your quick reply,

I've read about the conflict but I only saw it happening in Windows 2000. Also, why would there be a conflict in AHCI but not in IDE mode?

The ram works 100% right, I've been using it 24/7 on with the other HDD for quite a while, and it passed a night of test in memtest.

If its any hepl though, my paralel port address is set to 378 (default).

J

Try switching ahci ports, I'm pretty sure a parallel port gives you that conflict.

I've read about the conflict but I only saw it happening in Windows 2000.

Not only in Windows 2000.

Seagate 320 GB SATA II HDD
+ WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HDD
Why would there be a conflict in AHCI but not in IDE mode?

Are both drives set AHCI ? If they are, then are they both AHCI capable?

I'll try switching ahci ports right now and let you know how it goes. As for the second question, it's irrelevant bucause I only have oine HDD connected at a time (the SATA 2 ports are set to IDE though).

Thanks,

J

These motherboards are getting so complicated, I have problems deciding what controls what.

You seem to have 3 options for IDE or AHCI. If you are not using the eSATA (rear) connections, the PCH and GSATA settings are what you are changing?

Have you loaded any specific drivers for the controllers, or just using the Win 7 drivers?

Could there be a situation with the GSATA III that might require a driver loaded during the install? I do not see a preinstall AHCI version of a driver for SATA III on the Gigabyte site.

You may have done this already, but if there are separate drivers for the SATA III, which seems to be the case, you might try installing in AHCI mode to the SATA II controller, loading the SATA III drivers, then swapping the drive to the GSATA ports.

One warning, whenever you switch the drives, if you are changing the power connectors, power down your system first.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom