Windows 7 Can access but can't edit shared folders on other Win7 computer-help!

jimiz

I have set all groups, users, etc. will all allow permissions. I have 2 computers - one laptop one desktop using windows 7. Laptop has Home Premium and desktop has Ultimate. I can access and alter/edit files when I am on the desktop and accessing the laptop. I can access but cannot alter/edit the files when on the laptop accessing the desktop. I would like to be able to edit files when I'm on laptop and accessing the desktop.

Laptop is wireless and desktop is wired. They are both on the same Homegroup. I have beat this to death and have run out of ideas. Can anyone help with this issue?

Getting the share access to work correctly across a network involves correctly editing and defining write permissions in both the permissions area under the share tab in the folder properties dialog box, and the NTFS permissions area under the security tab as well. Use the one that seems to work properly as a template to adjust the other.

OK. I have worked on this further. What I am doing is sharing an entire drive on my desktop. It allows me to edit all of the folders in the boot directory but none of the subfolders of those folders, even though I chose this when giving permissions. Do I have to go thru each folder on a drive to allow editing? Or does this just happen when I try to share a full drive?

I went thru and made many of my subfolders of my drive a shared folder, since the properties showed they were not shared. I still cannot edit them with my laptop. It says "You need permission to perform this actions" This is so frustrating. I am using the permission settings from my laptop to change my desktop and it's not making a difference. All of the folders have the "Read Only" box filled in and even if I uncheck it, when I open it up again it's filled in. Any suggestions?

Generally speaking if the drive contains only data (docs, images, music, etc.) then if you make sure to cascade the permissions down, to all sub containers, (folders and files) it should work as you expect.
But if the drive is your system drive or was at one time a system drive then you will probably encounter some issues when you attempt to cascade the permissions down with some of the sub containers.
Problems can occur because of users having conflicting group membership on one computer or the other. A common username and password across platforms will often help resolve this issue.
Also as a last resort, and by no means consider best practices or even a good practice for that matter, but more to expose what and where the problem actually is, you may consider at least temporarily throwing the good ole "Everyone" group into share and security permissions with full control, to make sure that it is in fact a permission/security issue. Depending on your particular environment you would probably not want to leave it like that permanently, but it may help you better understand what's going on and how conflicting group memberships can result in problems. A user can be a member of the administrators group on both computers, but can also be a member of the user's group and as such one group may have more restrictive permissions and the most restrictive apply.
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thanks trouble. I'm not sure what happened but all of a sudden all of the files are letting me edit them. Thanks for your help.

You gotta love things when they just seem to automagically start working like they're suppose to. Anyway, glad you've got it resolved and thanks for the followup.
Welcome to the forums and we hope to continue to see you around.

Back
Top Bottom