Windows 7 Can I Reactivate OEM Win 7 on New Hardware?

dmcmillen

Extraordinary Member
I would like to reinstall my OEM version of 64-bit Win 7 Home Premium on new hardware (new PC). I'm having intermittent problems with my MB and want to take this opportunity to replace the machine.

I was wondering if I would be able to do a phone activation of the OEM Windows. I know that OEM versions are intended for unlimited activations on the same hardware.

--David

Not likely OEM is tied to one PC, that is why it is cheaper than the retail version. If only changing the motherboard due to it being bad MS may let you use the same OEM OS. It would require you to call them and ask for it to be activated.

I second bassfisher. I've called Microsoft some four or five times, they've always been very helpful. They can do miracles from their outposts! Another option is, take the issue to your retailer.

Hi Pauli,
What number do you call please because i tried once and i was sent in a loop. Besides, is it free tech support or do you have to pay? Thanks!

Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers/en-gb

Copied from the page: "Standard charges for geographic calls apply from landlines. Calling costs from mobile phones may vary depending on the operator. Calls from landlines and mobiles may be included in call packages. Consult your operator for details."

They serve globally, which means you can end up with talking to a Finn with bad English, in Finnish it is named "bääd inglis".

Do have all Product numbers etc. available if / when you call, and have your computer running - ah, don't know here, how it goes, since you can't have the new computer running... but in there they are much wiser.

Best wishes, and best of luck. Personally, I find these copyright fights ridiculous... one buys something but cannot use it. A complicated issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom