Windows Vista Can;t connect to the internet with a cable

toptop18

I had a wireless connection, but cause of being far away from the router and cause of that having a bad connection I decided to buy an UTP cable and connect to the router with that. However I can't connect to the internet with that. I've everything shut down, including the router, plugged in the router and booted everything up. Now the network and sharing center says I'm connected to an unidentified public network(it should be just my home network) and access type is no internet access. When I try to create a broadband connection it comes up with error 156.
I'm using windows 7 build 7100

Could anyone help me with this problem?

you may need to open firewall or setup the router itself typically you should be able to get to the router config screen to check settings on IP 192.168.X.1 where X varies between 1-255 depending on brand etc. Make sure DHCP is enabled and also UPnP, also I often find its better to manually edit your Ethernet manually to use the IP range such as 192.168.1.2 (if router was on 192.168.1.1) to make sure the connection is fixed. I there are more than one device connect to the router DHCP auto may be the better option but not always.

Last edited:
Have you tried clicking your network icon down on the task bar and tried a "wizard"?
If your ethernet cable is plugged in to the port on your tower, is the LAN controller
enabled in the BIOS and is the driver installed?
Your admin panel of your router will show if your machine is recognized by the network,
but your network "name" must be proper for you to have access. This is done with the OS.

Also include this

Code:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /all

Use each one separately in the cmd window

Code:
startkey+r
type in
Code:
cmd
hit enter

post back with the results of ipconfig /all

Installed Windows 7 and now no internet

Here's what I am experiencing:

I boot the PC, it acts like it will load the login screen, but it never comes up. Won't come up in safemode either. i created a restore point before the install, it got erased. If I turn on the PC and go to last known good configuration it will complete the login screen boot up and I can login. Once I login, everything is fine but I cannot connect to the internet, I also try to login to my router and it will not let me do that.

This computer, my laptop, is also running 7 (same version) and is working just fine off the router, via wireless however. ANY THOUGHTS?

All my 7 Release Client installs have "found" my network without any prompts from me
on installation, (other than typing in the workgroup name). The connection was made
automatically with my home network PCs (all 3 hard wired) with Wi-Fi connections for
laptops and the Wii console being handled by the router.

Your "none access" issue to your router admin panel, is due to your lack of internet
connection, i.e. you can't enter a URL in the browser. Try to access your router from
another of your networked machines and check your router's admin panel first.

If your router checks out, reinstall Windows.

What version of Windows do you have ( retail, oem, RC ???)

All my 7 Release Client installs have "found" my network without any prompts from me
on installation, (other than typing in the workgroup name). The connection was made
automatically with my home network PCs (all 3 hard wired) with Wi-Fi connections for
laptops and the Wii console being handled by the router.

When I installed on my laptop, if found my network with no issues.

Your "none access" issue to your router admin panel, is due to your lack of internet
connection, i.e. you can't enter a URL in the browser. Try to access your router from
another of your networked machines and check your router's admin panel first.

If your router checks out, reinstall Windows.

I can access the router from the laptop via wireless and via Ethernet cable. I can also fully browse the www. Last night I unplugged everything and plugged it all back in and couldn't get the dns to renew on the router. called in for support there, did a hard reset and it started working again. Reinstalled windows on the PC because Laptop has access again, but the pc does not. PC can access the homegroup however.

What version of Windows do you have ( retail, oem, RC ???)

I have windows 7 ultimate beta.

The PC now having the ability to "see" the other machines on your network, pretty much rules out the Windows as the
source of your problem of no browser connection. The lack of internet could now be either router's hardware or some
security setting for the lan port the PC is hooked to.

I would test the router's ethernet ports, by using the laptop
( Make sure you use the same ethernet cable to do the testing )
Plug that cable into all the ports of the router and make sure that this "proven"
machine (laptop) will successfully gain access to the web through all of the ports.

Back