Windows 7 Can win7 run programs that are on another partition?

bikertom

I have installed win7 beta on a 2nd hard drive called drive letter W:
I have Garmin MapSource programs and map data on the main drive in drive letter C: which were loaded under XP.
When I am running win7 and try to run the MapSource.exe program that is on C: I get an error:
MapSource could not find any installed MapSource map products.
In other words, the mapsource program did not find any installed maps.

I thought or was under the misguided impression that you could run win7 and access and run programs that are on another drive or partition. I mean, does all my XP programs that I have on C: have to be reinstalled on drive W:?
I thought this win7 could run any program on any location. What I think win7 should be able to do is to be able to switch to a particular selected drive or partition and run programs and access the data under that partition. Now it looks like I might have to reinstall all my MapSource programs and map data again on W: drive, which I didn't make big enough. I only allowed so much space just to install win7.

Short answer: No,

Long Answer: You must install nearly every program that you want to run within any NT based OS. There are exceptions to this rule, however few. So unless you know of any of these programs, you will have to load each and everyone. You must also be very careful about accessing those files as well because it COULD cause other undesirable effects in the WIN7 OS. And some may not be compatible. I have already found a few.

If this helps you please click my rep.

Thanks and good luck

OK I could but that would bring me back to my original problem. Which is, when running win7, I cannot seem to run a program that's on another drive in another partition. Now I assume that it also applies to other partitions on the same drive. So what is the use of having 2 drives if win7 cannot run programs on that other drive.

Maybe what I'm going to end up doing, is making that whole 2nd drive just one big partition, all 320GB of it for win7 to access then install all my programs there I now have on C: drive and reinstall them on onto that 2nd drive so that win7 can run them. Does that sound right?

Last edited:
You can install a program onto any drive regardless of the partition that you wish to use. Are you having issues accessing the other partition? What are you running into once you attempt to access the partition in question. It still seems like an access issue.

Please kepp us post to your progress

Bikertom, what you don't seem to realize is that when programs install they need to enter info into the registry to function properly.

So, you will have to install your programs in W7 - W7 won't just pick up the registry entries from a different partition/OS install.

Take the rose-colored glasses off, and get real!

You're right, it was a misguided impression. Don't know where you picked it up, but it is wrong. The sooner you lose it, the better for your peace of mind.

Bikertom, what you don't seem to realize is that when programs install they need to enter info into the registry to function properly.

So, you will have to install your programs in W7 - W7 won't just pick up the registry entries from a different partition/OS install.

Take the rose-colored glasses off, and get real!

You're right, it was a misguided impression. Don't know where you picked it up, but it is wrong. The sooner you lose it, the better for your peace of mind.
Not necessarily. I know many programs and games that enter any missing registry info automatically on launch.

So if that's the case about the MapSource program needing to access the registry on C: drive where XP is, then I'm going to have to reinstall all those XP programs I want to use in win7 on the W partition where win7 is located. This is going to mean having double the programs and data for a dual boot system, programs and data for XP on 1 drive/partition and then the same programs and data again installed on the 2nd drive/partition for use in win7. So what's the use in having 2 hard drives then? I might as well in the future install win7 on one big drive along with all the programs. I can see that this dual boot option is not working out the way I thought it would work.

So if that's the case about the MapSource program needing to access the registry on C: drive where XP is, then I'm going to have to reinstall all those XP programs I want to use in win7 on the W partition where win7 is located. This is going to mean having double the programs and data for a dual boot system, programs and data for XP on 1 drive/partition and then the same programs and data again installed on the 2nd drive/partition for use in win7. So what's the use in having 2 hard drives then? I might as well in the future install win7 on one big drive along with all the programs. I can see that this dual boot option is not working out the way I thought it would work.
Dual Booting is just that, Dual Booting. It has absolutely nothing to do with the programs that you want to use. Moose is technically correct that programs have to insert vital info into the registry in order for it to function correctly, even if you come across the occasional program that doesn't, its always a good idea for each OS to have its own programs to work from. This is just as true, even if you were dual booting two different XP OS installations.

Think of the registry as the personalty of the OS (which I believe truly is) and being as such is unique in its makeup. And each needs its own 'thing' in order to do what it needs to do. And while some of them could use the same stuff, most like they can't simply because they have different needs.

I can go on but I think you are coming to the correct conclusion that each OS, regardless of the partition/drive its installed on, requires its own set of programs to run. Consider this as one of many 'Golden Rules'.;)

Ok that was good, so now I have a follow-up question. Can you install a program under win7 but select another partition to place it? For example, If I have win7 on C: drive and install a program using win7 and select the program to sit on another partition, would that work?

Yes... I do it every now and then myself. Windows (in general) really would like you to put it in the 'Program Files' area. But you can pick ANYwhere you want. However it will not install on what the OS sees as network or some removable media. I have just tested this theory on XP tring to install Office 2007 on a network drive and it presented me with the error 'Network, CDROM, and RAM drives are not supported install paths. Choose a folder located on a fixed disk or removable drive.'

"Maybe what I'm going to end up doing, is making that whole 2nd drive just one big partition, all 320GB of it for win7 to access then install all my programs there I now have on C: drive and reinstall them on onto that 2nd drive so that win7 can run them. Does that sound right? "

Before you take that drastic step. perhaps you could consider enlarging/shrinking the partitions and keeping a dual boot?
If you are leaping from XP to 7, there is a new learning experience, as a lot of the navigation has changed. With a dual boot, at least for a while, you can enjoy both at your own pace.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to dual-boot, do yourself a favor.

Install W7 to a separate hard drive, and disconnect the XP drive before you begin installing W7.

That way, no boot manager will be used. All you have to do is change the hd boot sequence in the BIOS to go to either OS.

Another advantage of this method is - when you reconnect the XP drive, W7 will simply assign drive letters to the partition(s) of that drive. You won't have to worry about access violations.

If you are going to dual-boot, do yourself a favor.

Install W7 to a separate hard drive, and disconnect the XP drive before you begin installing W7.

That way, no boot manager will be used. All you have to do is change the hd boot sequence in the BIOS to go to either OS.

Another advantage of this method is - when you reconnect the XP drive, W7 will simply assign drive letters to the partition(s) of that drive. You won't have to worry about access violations.
I must say that I have never thought of that before and it is an effective (however cumbersome) way to accomplish this goal.

For some users though it could be a bit too much. But I like the ideal.

Back