Windows 10 Cannot change Some Shortcut Icons

Gary Hesprich

Cannot change Icon on some shortcuts in windows 10. The [Change Icon...] button is greyed out. Other shortcuts work fine.

Icon permissions "Allow" Full control for all users

Can you provide some examples so we can better help you with your problem.

OK. Attached file is Screen Shot of Shortcut Properties with the [Change Icon] button disabled. Please let me know if I can provide any additional details.

Thank You ...Gary

Attachments

• Shortcut ~ no change Icon.JPG
    Shortcut ~ no change Icon.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 299
LNK files don't always have to point to an exe or dll file for there icon. They can contain a special structure called ICON_LOCATION that can hard point to an icon. Unless you understand the format of a shell link file you wont be able to modify this behavior. I would simply create a new shortcut to the program in question. You can then edit the icon on the new shortcut(s)

OK, I had tried to create a new shortcut with the same result before contacting forum. But, per your suggestion I tried again. while doing that, I noticed that there seemed to be something odd about the shortcut Target: "MyHarmony". So I changed the target to the ".exe" file. This seems to have resolved the issue. While I am still confused, the problem is resolved, and life is good again.

Thank You for Your Help !! ...Gary

Back