Windows Vista Cannot connect to the internet at all, please help!

jamydoja

Hi, this is my first time posting here. I'm writing this from my windows XP computer, i'll explain the reason why...

I've upgraded my main PC (which was Vista) to windows 7, and everything seemed to be working fine. However, Windows Live messenger, IE, Firefox, Opera 9 and Google Chrome will not connect to the internet/load up webpages. Also, Mozilla Thunderbird won't even load up.

I'm using ZoneAlarm firewall/antivirus but even with this completely disabled it would not connect to the internet. I'm connected to the internet through a D-Link HUB and a Netgear router. It is not the HUB or the router since my Xbox 360 (connected in the same way) can connect fine.

The strange thing is, on the network thing at the right of the task bar and in the control panel it says i'm connected to the internet and in the troubleshooter for Windows Live Messenger it fails on "Key Ports".

Any help would be great! Also, if i cannot fix this problem, is there a way to switch back to windows Vista. I don't really want to do this though since with Windows Vista i got COM Surrogate errors all the time in windows explorer and the computer would always freeze when it was trying to shut down. Also, i'm running the 32bit on a Dell computer with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 processor, an ATI HD2600XT graphics card and 2gb of ram. I upgraded from Windows VIsta Home Premium 32bit. I hope that's all the information you might need!

Thankyou!

uninstall the zonealarm firewall/antivirus. It is a virus all in its self with the biggest problem being the access to the internet issue that almost 15% of people who install it on their systems get. Completely uninstall the zonealarm suite and see if that fixes the internet connection issue. It doesnt matter if it is completely disabled uninstall it please and let us know.

I had similar problems with Norton 360 beta A-V. I had to uninstall it then restore the computer back to a time before the 360 installation to restore my settings.

uninstall the zonealarm firewall/antivirus. It is a virus all in its self with the biggest problem being the access to the internet issue that almost 15% of people who install it on their systems get. Completely uninstall the zonealarm suite and see if that fixes the internet connection issue. It doesnt matter if it is completely disabled uninstall it please and let us know.

I'm uninstalling Zonealarm at the moment, thanks for the replies.
What security suite would you recommend?
Edit: make that, what firewall would you recommend, i think i'll use AVG antivirus.

Last edited:
i use the windows firewall and it is the only one i would use on a beta software. I can recommend any other firewall because none of them were created for windows 7. Having a firewall that is not made for an os can be quite dangerous.

i use the windows firewall and it is the only one i would use on a beta software. I can recommend any other firewall because none of them were created for windows 7. Having a firewall that is not made for an os can be quite dangerous.

Oh ok, it seems to be working now and i'm downloading AVG basic, thankyou for your help!

I too had the same problem and disabling did not help. A complete uninstall was necessary. BTW, It's kind of arrogant calling a program a virus because it was not custom made to work with a new operating system.

Back