Windows 8 Cannot connect to internet anymore

Brian Lamb

Hi all,

I have a Windows PC that I'm running as a media server. It was connected to the internet via Powerline Ethernet Adapter as there is no wireless capability on the computer.

However, now it will not connect to the internet no matter what. I have tried the following steps.

1. Changing the ethernet cable
2. Changing to a powerline adapter that works on a different device
3. Running a long ethernet cable from a working powerline adapter to the windows pc

None of those permit me to connect to the internet.

The only thing that has changed recently is that I purchased a new cable modem that is a cable modem and wireless router.

I've tried resetting the modem but that has not resolved the issue either. Given that other powerline devices on this network also work, I don't think that's the issue.

I'm not very familiar with Windows machines so I'm not sure how else I can troubleshoot this. Any advice would make you my hero.

On the media server, with it connected, open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and post the results.

Code:
Window IP Configuration

Host Name: MyHostName
Primary DNS Suffix:
Node Type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter MyEthernetAdapter

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address: 74-27-EA-13-56-3B
DHCP Enabled: No
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IPv6 Address: 2606:a000:474d:4a00::4(Preferred)
Lease Obtained: Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:07:25 AM
Lease Expires: Sunday, May 15, 2016 10:55:58 PM
IPv6 Address: 2606:a000:474d:4a00:30cf:645:6d5a:30d(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address: 2606:a000:474d:4a00:d33:3f1b:74bd:5bcb(Deprecated)
Temporary IPv6 Address: 2606:a000:474d:4a00:1d29:654b:a8d6:44b8(Deprecated)
Temporary IPv6 Address: 2606:a000:474d:4a00:6195:5f0d:998:bfed(Deprecated)
Temporary IPv6 Address: 2606:a000:474d:4a00:84a7:b61b:dd02:ec99(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::30cf:645:6d5a:30d%3(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address: 169.254.3.13(Preferred)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: fe80::76ea:e8ff:fede:b9aa%3
DHCPv6 IAID: 259270634
DHCPv6 Client DUID: 00-01-00-01-18-87-DD-15-74-27-EA-13-56-3B
DNS Servers: 209.18.47.61
NetBIOS over Tcpip: Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.(04CD6C50-35BA-48EA-8B26-39BF6DDB6002

Media State: Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled: No
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

I had to manually type this up. Because of the whole no internet thing.

So basically your computer isn't able to comunicate with the dhcp server, an ip address that starts 169.254 is an auto configure address.

So what does that mean I need to do? Do I need to reconfigure my wireless router to point to the IP of this computer?

First step is deciding where your default gate way is going to be then mount the dhcp there… This dhcp is your Poe (point of entry) and everything on the network needs a clear path to that so they can get their ip address… you have temp ip 6 addresses going in every direction but is the DNS Servers: 209.18.47.61 at your place (the subnet should be smaller like 255.255.255.0) or an external server controlled by the isp?

The only thing that has changed recently is that I purchased a new cable modem that is a cable modem and wireless router.
Hi Brian ! Why did you purchase a new cable modem and wireless router?? Have you contacted your ISP??
  • Ask your Internet service provider (ISP) to verify that its servers are functioning correctly, and that you have an ISP user account and access to the ISP service.

• If you've recently replaced your router or modem, and your ISP uses MAC address filtering, your ISP will need to add your new device to the list of devices that can connect to the network. If you suspect this is the case, contact your ISP for assistance.

I fixed this. I forgot that some time ago I hardcoded the IP address for IPv4 because I was trying to open up the media server to outside my network. Changing my router must have invalidated that IP. Once I changed the option to obtain the IP address automatically, everything started working again. Thanks for the help!

Hi Brian ! Why did you purchase a new cable modem and wireless router?? Have you contacted your ISP??
  • Ask your Internet service provider (ISP) to verify that its servers are functioning correctly, and that you have an ISP user account and access to the ISP service.

• If you've recently replaced your router or modem, and your ISP uses MAC address filtering, your ISP will need to add your new device to the list of devices that can connect to the network. If you suspect this is the case, contact your ISP for assistance.

Because I was tired of paying Time Warner a monthly fee only for them to increase it over and over.

I had done what you asked. I had been able to connect to the internet from every other device on the network, just not this one.

Hi Brian! I got tired of paying Sudden Link 12$ a month for their router also, and bought me a NETGEAR.
I had no problems setting it up. I called Sudden Link and registered the router and returned theirs.
Thanks for the up date. I'm happy that you got your issue solved. Come and see us on a regular basis!:up:

Hey good news for you, i found a webpage from which i get rid out of this type of error issue yesterday, now you can also check this guide once for getting rid of it completely: How to Fix & Solve network adapter driver Issue?

Back