Windows 10 Cannot connect with home Wifi

okmanek

Hi,
On newly installed Windows 10 I have problems with Wifi connection. OS doesn't detect my home WiFi. But it can detect WiFi shared from my phone. On the same PC I have Linux installed and it CAN detect and connect to the WiFi, so it's not network range issue.

Here's what I already tried to do:
> tried to connect on fresh system AND after installing network card drivers
> turn firewall on and off
> enter WiFi data manually (pretending that this WiFi is hidden - in fact it is not). Still getting connection error
> Restarting router few times

Does anyone of you have idea what might be the problem?

My WiFi card is:
8level PCIe Wireless N300 802.11n/b/g (WPCIE-300A)

One possibly would be that there is a difference in protocol or frequency between Windows and that AP. Such as your AP may only operate in the 2.4GHz range and 802.11g and your wireless adapter is only configured for 5Ghz and 802.11n.

I'd look at the AP configuration for that and in device manager under the advanced tab on the properties page of your wireless adapter

One possibly would be that there is a difference in protocol or frequency between Windows and that AP. Such as your AP may only operate in the 2.4GHz range and 802.11g and your wireless adapter is only configured for 5Ghz and 802.11n.

I'd look at the AP configuration for that and in device manager under the advanced tab on the properties page of your wireless adapter

I used WiFi analyser and my AP works on channel 12, on range 2457-2477.
I looked at my network card specs and it works in 2.412 - 2.462 GHz.

Frequencies match to a certain degree but not 100%. Can it cause the problem? (Please remember that on other OSes installed on my PC this network card i able to connect).

The range difference shouldn't matter. The fact that it works in another OS doesn't rule out a configuration problem on the wireless adapter in windows.

I have seen conflicts with Win 10 and WiFi with some types of motherboards and laptops. If you cannot re-load the original or updated drivers to make it work, I suggest buying an external WiFi USB adapter. Install the drives and software that comes with it. Chances are it will work for you. I did this to fix this type of problem with older computers running Win10.

I solved this problem by replacing network card with newer model. For some reason older card could detect only some WiFis.
Thanks for your help.

Hello
The advice you followed was two years old. I suggest you start a new thread with your problem.

Failing that you can always visit the website of the manufacturer of your device and download a current driver on to whatever you used to post your comment and then transfer it from that device to your computer via USB cable
Arso
Dafont MapQuest FileHippo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom