Windows 7 Cannot get scanner Epson 640U to work with Windows 7

Commander_Cool

Hi, I hope this is the right forum for my little conundrum: I can't, after switching to 32-bit Windows 7, get my trusty, faithful Epson Perfection 640U to work. XP was fine, no problem, but it seems to me that Epson have (has?) abandoned this fine scanner as there is no 640U listed in the Microsoft Support section @ Epson.com.

Can anybody please help with this? Perhaps there is a driver in the Microsoft Support section, intended for another Perfection scanner that would work? I'm this close to downgrading to XP or else grapple with a virtual XP installation inside Windows 7. Which is slightly less pleasant than having teeth pulled. W/o the benefit of anesthetic.

And won't somebody please think of the children?

C_C :cool:

P.S: nice touch with the auto-save thingy, also the new buttons above. Who knew posting a question here could get so involved? Perhaps the work of friend Mitch?

I got my HP scanner to work using XP drivers in 32 bit Windows 7, I installed and run it in compatibility mode. I suppose whether you can do that would depend on how the your drivers are written.

But msfanboy98 is correct in that VueScan will allow many older scanners to work in Windows 7. It does seem though, that some part of a basic driver is needed from the manufacturer for Vue Scan to work, but I can't remember exactly.

If you try to install, make an image backup or a restore point first so you can back out if it doesn't go well.

I got my HP scanner to work using XP drivers in 32 bit Windows 7, I installed and run it in compatibility mode. I suppose whether you can do that would depend on how the your drivers are written.

But msfanboy98 is correct in that VueScan will allow many older scanners to work in Windows 7. It does seem though, that some part of a basic driver is needed from the manufacturer for Vue Scan to work, but I can't remember exactly.

If you try to install, make an image backup or a restore point first so you can back out if it doesn't go well.
OK, thanks for your good advice. I have tried to use the software that came with the scanner (Smartpanel 1.0) under Windows 7, but it doesn't work.

Nice,could you please tell me if it works?
Yes I will. It works! But there is just one thing about VueScan that I don't understand - as far as I can see, there is no way to set it to a resolution higher than 600dpi. But in the User Guide, under Advanced tools and techniques/Maximizing Image Quality it says: "For instance, scanning at 2700 dpi and..." so it would seem that a higher setting is possible but there's nothing on how to go about it. Perhaps you know?
Anyway, I'm thankful for the VueScan tip you gave me - now I know not all is lost as regards my trusty Perfection. Thanks fanboy!

Last edited:
Sorry, but I think the highest resolution on your scanner is 600dpi. Vuescan automatically detects your scanners settings so 600dpi must be the highest.

Right. I just received reply from Ed Hamrick re this:

"The optical dpi of this scanner is 600 dpi - anything higher is just software interpolation. I could easily modify VueScan to allow scans at 1 million dpi, but this wouldn't give any more image detail :)

This guy obviously knows his sh*t. Kudos to him and his application.

Right. I just received reply from Ed Hamrick re this:

"The optical dpi of this scanner is 600 dpi - anything higher is just software interpolation. I could easily modify VueScan to allow scans at 1 million dpi, but this wouldn't give any more image detail :)

This guy obviously knows his sh*t. Kudos to him and his application.
Great, happy to know VueScan is good with support.

Great, happy to know VueScan is good with support.
Well, if you're half as happy as I am, then I'm twice as happy as you my newfound friend ;)

P.S. I might add that, after sending my question to Ed Hamrick I received his detailed, informed reply (quoted above) within minutes. This is a new high in support responsiveness for me.

Last edited:
Back