Windows 7 Can't Access Anything in RC after restart

OwenKealy

Okay, so here's what I've done:

Partitioned my drive and installed Windows 7 RC1, so I can dual-boot with XP.

Now, when I first let it go into Win7 by default, it booted fine - I had the pretty screen with the fish and everything. Then I decided to see how my XP boot would go. I realized I had to plug in a PS2 (or is that PS/2?) keyboard in order to make changes, since my computer didn't want to recognize my other keyboard during the boot-selection screen for some reason.

XP booted fine, so I decided to let my machine boot Win7 again, and when it loaded it told me that it needed to restart because of the keyboard that was attached. Weird.

So, I restarted and when Win7 came up again, I was greeted with a Windows Classic looking task bar and an error message that reads: "Windows cannoy access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

I get that when I try to do, well, pretty much anything. Adjust my display, resolution, anything related to the net - it's pretty much a lockout.

Part of the error code that I can read is as follows:

26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683 (followed by) ed834ed6-4b5a-4bfe (at which point it gets cut off.

I saw a similar thread on this, but the person hadn't managed a proper boot first.

So... thoughts? Comments? I tried Google and searching these forums first, but couldn't find anyone who had a situation like I do.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Okay, so I was able to gain access to things in one of the safe mode options, but when I restarted (in vain hopes that it somehow fixed the problem, even though I was unable to find a way to change any settings that seemed applicable), it still gave me the damn Windows Classic screen. :\

Back