Windows 7 Can't change drive names

Gil80

Extraordinary Member
Hi there.
I have 2 physical HDs and one of them is devided into two drives, so basically I have 3 drives:

C: D: and E;

I want to assign names to each of them and I could only do so to drive C:, but I seem to ran into this message that I need an admisitrative ability while I'm the administrator of this computer.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Gil.

Type cmd.exe in the windows search box in the start menu

Right click on cmd.exe and select Run with Administrative Privileges

In the command prompt type
label c:
or whatever drive letter you want to change the label for, repeat.

'lable' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

This is what I get when I try the lable command.

Please advise.

Type cmd.exe in the windows search box in the start menu

Right click on cmd.exe and select Run with Administrative Privileges

In the command prompt type
label c:
or whatever drive letter you want to change the label for, repeat.

I have done so, and I see that the lable is as I wanted to be, also when I check uner right click - computer and then manage - I see the name that I want but when I double click on Computer I see Local Disk (D:) instead of the name I gave it.

Make sure your typing label not lable

I saw this once in Windows 7 RC but rebooting resolved it. I am running a number of machines with Windows 7 RTM (x86 and x64) and have not seen this again.

I saw this once in Windows 7 RC but rebooting resolved it. I am running a number of machines with Windows 7 RTM (x86 and x64) and have not seen this again.

I'm running the RTM build 7600... rebooting didn't do anything

Well, you can select the drive in explorer, press F2 (rename) and rename it to what it is in DM. I have spent like 3 hours yesterday trying to figure it out for another user to no avail so unless someone wiser than I can figure it out....

In safe mode the drives have the names that I assigned to them. But back in normal mode, they don't

What do you mean? What are those and how can I look for them?

You'll have to enable show hidden and system files in Control Panel: Appearence and personalization: Folder Options.

Autorun.inf files are usually on CD and DVD to play automatically.

Why there on my hard drives I don't know

Yes there is Autorun.ini hidden folder in Drive E: and drive D. What should I do with them?
You'll have to enable show hidden and system files in Control Panel: Appearence and personalization: Folder Options.

Autorun.inf files are usually on CD and DVD to play automatically.

Why there on my hard drives I don't know

Back