Windows Vista Can't connect to integrated router - Quite advanced issue [SOLVED]

BrennanBrah

Hello, I am in dire need or my mother will have my head.
Windows Vista Home Basic operating system.

This desktop PC is what my mum heavily uses for the internet.
Ok, PLEASE bare with me as there is some background information prior to situation. I really need this to be fixed so hang in there for me! (Alternatively, skip to next bold text for the beginning of problem statement*)

Today I done a multitude of fixes, the PC was infected with multiple malware/adware issues which I removed using MalwareBytes anti malware then restarted, I also mass uninstalled a lot of programs (some varying in size and use (some adware)) then restarted again. The last things I did was try and remove AVG as I have uninstalled it but there are still files regarding AVG9.0 and the right click option to use AVG to scan things which does nothing at all. I have a removal tool but I was sorting that out later, another problem was java platform. I tried uninstalling some programs from the list (there were 3) but the last one which is the base platform install (java 7 update 7) would not uninstall, it'd go through and say it's uninstalled but in the end would still be there. So I got a Microsoft Install Removal Tool of some sort which worked like a beauty and removed it fine (AVG was not in the list of installed programs so I couldn't use this tool for that)....

But after that I figured i'd return and do some more cleaning up later (not sure if it's worth it but I mass deleted around 10gb worth of random photos. Word documents. Excel documents etc from downloads and other places). From here I restarted the computer and left it for others use (my mother).

internet worked fine through out the entire time while doing this (i think it stopped once I restarted)

I assumed it was working fine for a period of time. I was on Call of Duty on my PS3 (which is on another integrated router, not the one the PC in question connects to) but angered someone on the game I suppose and at first, I thought they were trying to DOS me as I was losing connection like it normally does when someone does that so my PSN (playstation network account) signed out.
From here, I jumped onto my laptop and booted it up waited for it for a second to then open C&A (A network diagnostic program/tool) where I tried to see if he was still sending me killer bytes(DOSing me) so I could manually block his IP address from my network but in the process of using the sniffer to poison the connection between my PS3 and multi-function device (once again NOT the one that the PC in question is connected to)
My mother came down and complained that the internet is down and that I've done something to the PC because all the other siblings can connect to it with their ipod/ipad etc. My internet was working fine at my side of the house so I immediately took her comment into consideration and figured i've broken something on the PC she uses.

*The broad problem is that we can't connect to the internet from this pc anymore or more so the integrated router at all (multi function device), there are multiple devices that can connect to this integrated router with no problem and have internet fine, I am on it at the moment with my laptop I use. We have another router set up at the other end of the house as an extension of our network.

The modem in question is relatively new. It is a BoB-lite from iinet. Our old one was a very old D-link (6+ years old) this new one set everything up and connected to our ISP for us but I tweaked it for the wifi access and kept the PSK-string the same so the computer my mum uses heavily will still work. It worked perfectly fine until recently tonight. (if you read the background information above you'll see what i've done before the problem occured)

To begin with i'll use some images to show you directly what I'm talking about:
This is what I was presented with when I arrived at the computer.
brief network info.jpg
Figure 1
-------
Disc or Connect.jpg
Figure 2

Immediately I am confused, it talks about not being connected to 'ANY' networks, yet it mentions in the connection choice menu that I am connected to the integrated router however, with limited access...

So naturally I disconnected then connected to the network again however, it doesn't connect right away and takes longer then usual when it actually takes 3-4 seconds normally.
connecting taking long.jpg
figure 3
-----------------

this results in a failure.
connection unsuccessful.jpg
figure 4

But here's the funny part once again, it'll still mention that it's connected with limited access (refer to figure 2).
So I then try to diagnose the problem using the diagnostic help here is it's output:
diagnose.jpg
Figure 5

The first solution is of no help, the second and third are a good point so I go in and check all the settings and to make sure things are on (IP4 & 6) and that it's all set to DHCP which it normally has always been:
sharing center.jpg
Figure 7
-------
network connections.jpg
Figure 8
I notice that the network cable unplogged error for the local area connection is obviously not working, don't remember if it normally was or has to be but in my experience that is just your LAN ethernet connection if im correct? So I ignored it but even so checked to make sure the settings are all fine and they are the same as the following for our Belkin 54g Wireless USB network adapter:
network connection status.jpg
Figure 9

The IP4 and IP6 are not connected? This is the device that I presume is what connects to the BATES2 network which says that it is connecting to it but they are not receiving packets from either end so I figured this is due to the IP issue.

Belkin USB network adapter.jpg
Figure 10
Due to lack of images allowed to upload, i'll hopefully send another post with the rest of the images.

Last edited:
I am extremely sorry if im breaking forums rules regarding double posts and or more uploads allowed then necessary but im trying to be thorough to get this solved it's out of my league.

Following the last image:
TCP&IP properties.jpg
Figure 11

Everything is as it should be...

So I decide to take the other diagnostic option of going to my device drivers and seeing if there is a problem in there. I took images AFTER i tried to solve everything so what I found in there at first was fine for the Belkin wireless adapter and NVIDIA ethernet device.
However, there was another device called Microsoft IP4 to 6 adapter which I assume allows the ease of connection through transitions of networks using IP6 or IP4 addresses etc. This was crossed and said was not working properly, nothing could update or could find anything wrong with it? So I uninstalled it and re-installed 'legacy hardware' from the action menu and navigating to it and installing it again, nothing appeared back in the device manager under the network tab, so I tried it again and once again the same outcome.

device manager.jpg

figure 12

(for note I did check either of the two network adapters and yet nothing was wrong with them regarding updates or hardware changes.)
But the main issue is that the IP 4 to 6 wasn't there... Which I assumed it would be, yet in the CMD (command console) it does display that it exists.... But there is now two due to me installing it twice.

ipconfig-all.jpg
Figure 13

So I am baffled, I don't see what's happening here and I don't understand why nothings working.... I also did try another diagnostic but this time from clicking the red X from the network and sharing center (refer to figure 7).
Which I assumed would come up with the same options as the first diagnostic attempt (refer to figure 5) however, it did not it resulted in the same but instead of it asking you to check your IP settings/bindings and configurations... It talked about to make sure that your NVIDIA ethernet network adapter was fine (similar to the mention of the Belkin adapter).

This was useless to me due to already checking to make sure those two were fine.

I am stuck here, I no longer know what to do, I've browsed for hours for information but so far the only slight help has been to uninstall the IP/TCP and then re-install it but that was quite advanced and I am afraid of destroying the computer. As I would need to look for the right device driver downloads etc or what ever it is to put on the computer by transferring it using my external hard drive. Unless you can just install it fine (like you could with the 'legacy hardware' installation method in the device manager) I am not sure so that is why I felt too far gone now and thought to ask for help.

(FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS IS A NEAR NO GO FOR ME... Please don't offer it as advice....)

Very keen to hear replies. I hope I didn't make this sound so elaborate, I just wanted to convey all the information I could which is what people generally ask questions for. Figured I'd get it all out of the way for people to read all at once, gain an image of the scenario.

EDIT: Also worth noting I did try a static ip and manually typing in the default gateway (10.1.1.1) mask of 255.255.255.0 and of course the static ip being 10.1.1.20, this led me to put in DNS servers which I searched up that are from my ISP.... If the DNS servers were wrong I figured it would not matter, I just need to be able to connect to the modem first...
EDIT2: Realised that while I was doing the static ip and manual entry, when I hit ok/apply and exit out and then go back into the settings, the default gateway would be blank each and every time? Yet other values would be right.

Last edited:
Update:

Found similar issues but never the exact same issue.

Tried the following solutions with no progression:
- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 (How to reset TCPI/IP by using the NetShell utility)
Tried both do it yourself and let us fix it methods.

- http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ss-issue/cc08d289-4ede-4fca-bd7c-bf63daf6b8ad (DHCP related services and checks)
Tried Wunders solution for this person's problem where I went to run and navigated to "services.msc" and found my DHCP Client and things were set to the appropriate values of started and automatic.

... this results in a failure.
View attachment 26721 figure 4 ...
In figure 4, it reports it connected with limited access then says you may need to open a browser to finish connecting. Did you do that?

I've seen that message when connecting to free hotspots and usually means that you need to input some credentials from the browser in order to gain internet access. It does seem odd that you would see this message on your home system but I would at least try opening a browser (if you haven't already) to see if there is additional info to be entered or whatever that the modem is looking for before it will allow internet access.

First.....
Finish uninstalling AVG by using the vendor specific proprietary removal tool found here http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
Get the correct version for your installation and architecture. Install Microsoft Security Essentials as a replacement, at least temporarily from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201
Second, it's possible with all the work you've performed uninstalling, removing malware and deleting things that something along the line has corrupted the driver for the Belkin download and install the correct driver for your specific product from here http://www.belkin.com/us/support/update
And third, you've mentioned that you have two separate routers on your network. Do they have separate discreet internet connections or are they cascaded in some fashion (connected to each other)? You may want to attempt to reset your network devices to insure they are working properly. I know you've mentioned that you have other devices that seem to be using the troubled router for a connection but you need to be certain that, that is the case and they haven't somehow resorted to using the second router instead.

It does seem odd that you would see this message on your home system but I would at least try opening a browser (if you haven't already) to see if there is additional info to be entered or whatever that the modem is looking for before it will allow internet access.

I did try that immediately as weird as it sounded considering we have no form of authentication on our network only the WPA. I tried it again as you suggested and it only results in what you would expect "Can't connect to your internet".

First.....
Finish uninstalling AVG by using the vendor specific proprietary removal tool found here http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
Install Microsoft Security Essentials as a replacement, at least temporarily from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

After posting my problem I did some little good that I could for the computer by using the removal tool that was already downloaded onto the computer before the internet had stopped working. Reason why I never got around to it was because i've been stuck on the internet issue. The problem is when trying to install AVG again on the computer... The AVG as do many installers now days which sucks, download more things during the process of the program set up so I couldn't put AVG on there and thought i'd just deal with just Malware Bytes. I've never used MSE(Microsoft Security Essentials) but I'll download it on my laptop and transfer the installation application to the problematic PC and install it.
It already has Malware Bytes installed however. (I understand they can run along side each other just never use them both to scan at the same time due to system resource limits). Will scan the pc with MSE later and post results if anything unusual occurs.

And third, you've mentioned that you have two separate routers on your network. Do they have separate discreet internet connections or are they cascaded in some fashion (connected to each other)? You may want to attempt to reset your network devices to insure they are working properly. I know you've mentioned that you have other devices that seem to be using the troubled router for a connection but you need to be certain that, that is the case and they haven't somehow resorted to using the second router instead.

The router that is in question alongside the computer that connects to it is one side of the house, which it's SSID is named as you can see in the figures above: BATES2. This is our main integrated router which connects to the ISP through ADSL. The second router which for god knows why is named BATES as if it's the first integrated router but is not, its connected directly to the BoB Lite through ethernet in the roof of the house.

I am positive they are connecting to this integrated router, as even when my laptop was connected to this integrated router I made sure by pinging that gateway also tracert to for example www.google.com.

Second, it's possible with all the work you've performed uninstalling, removing malware and deleting things that something along the line has corrupted the driver for the Belkin download and install the correct driver for your specific product from here http://www.belkin.com/us/support/update

I couldn't use the link you provided me, I was presented with this page:
driver belkin.jpg

So I presumed the update part of the link would look at my system by getting resources and figuring out what needs to be updated. Due to not being able to access the internet from the problematic PC I took off the update part of the url to browse around to see what I could find regarding my Belkin 54g Wireless USB network adapter leading off from http://www.belkin.com/us/support/.
Found my product and determined that this is the following driver versions for this device http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=5080.

Downloaded version 4 and 5 as I have version 3. (Not sure if I am able to skip a version so I was going to do one at a time.)
They were in the form of setup installation exes so I let them both do their thing and they both ended with finished installing.. I restarted the computer to find it was as if nothing changed... I went into the device too check it's driver version and it still said 3 something. So I assume due to the first number it was not updated for some unknown reason. I am pretty positive that the device I found on the page above is correct. I used their product code on the back of the adapters sticker to find the product.

Another thing I failed to mention which I didn't think mattered, which was there still before the new integrated router and this problem. Is that when I refresh the list of available access points on the problematic PC it'll only pick up BATES2 which is the one it is next too across the room. Sometimes it's able to pick up a signal from BATES on the other side of the house but due to how far away it is, can't connect.

Here's an image of house layout for a bit of a more thorough understanding sorry for poor paint skills:

House layout.jpg

My laptop at this side of the house can pick up BATES and BATES2 due to BATES2 being a new/stronger access point. But here's the funny part, It also picks up BATES2 2?....
Same connection strength as BATES2?
Same internet connectivity as BATES2?
I can ping the default gateway being 10.1.1.1.... From BATES2 2?....

Is this some sort of settings on the device? Because I've scoured through it's options and I've only got one SSID set up....
BATES2 2.jpg

Maybe somehow I missed it but have you tried resetting or power cycling (pulling the plug) the router and modem your mom is using?

Maybe somehow I missed it but have you tried resetting or power cycling (pulling the plug) the router and modem your mom is using?

Yes I have sorry, but I did fail to mention that basic step. I understand I elaborate far too much and with unnecessary information. Bad habbit, I tried turning off and unplugging the modem again. To no success sadly, wish it were that easy. It's what I normally did when the internet goes down, haha.

Downloaded version 4 and 5 as I have version 3. (Not sure if I am able to skip a version so I was going to do one at a time.)
They were in the form of setup installation exes so I let them both do their thing and they both ended with finished installing.. I restarted the computer to find it was as if nothing changed... I went into the device too check it's driver version and it still said 3 something. So I assume due to the first number it was not updated for some unknown reason. I am pretty positive that the device I found on the page above is correct. I used their product code on the back of the adapters sticker to find the product.

Try uninstalling the existing Belkin network driver first before installing the one that you just downloaded.

Try uninstalling the existing Belkin network driver first before installing the one that you just downloaded.

Ok dug the hole a little deeper now. I uninstalled the device driver and this resulted in the device disappearing from the device manager window which I figured was normal. I installed the v5 device driver and it went through completed successfully said it should be ready to use.

It was back in the device manager now, however, even after a restart; the computer can't pick up any networks at all anymore... So I went into the network and sharing center and opened up network connections to find that the Belkin Wireless adapater was disabled... So I right click and clicked enable, it came up with a small window saying "enabling...." Then it said "Enabled" and closed down the small window...... But in the network connections window it still said disabled... My god...

I Think i'm going to try and move the computer later and connect it via ethernet cable to see if the other network connection function works (NVIDIA ethernet port). That'll narrow it down a bit more, as so far 'now' I know it's something wrong with the belkin wireless adapter... Even though the adapter was working before, it was still not connecting to the integrated router so I'm not sure there. If the ethernet cable does work then I know it's something wrong with the TCP/IP for wireless connetions regarding the adapter but we have no ethernet cables or place suitable for it to run to the modem.

Ok dug the hole a little deeper now. I uninstalled the device driver and this resulted in the device disappearing from the device manager window which I figured was normal. I installed the v5 device driver and it went through completed successfully said it should be ready to use.

It was back in the device manager now, however, even after a restart; the computer can't pick up any networks at all anymore... So I went into the network and sharing center and opened up network connections to find that the Belkin Wireless adapater was disabled... So I right click and clicked enable, it came up with a small window saying "enabling...." Then it said "Enabled" and closed down the small window...... But in the network connections window it still said disabled... My god...

I Think i'm going to try and move the computer later and connect it via ethernet cable to see if the other network connection function works (NVIDIA ethernet port). That'll narrow it down a bit more, as so far 'now' I know it's something wrong with the belkin wireless adapter... Even though the adapter was working before, it was still not connecting to the integrated router so I'm not sure there. If the ethernet cable does work then I know it's something wrong with the TCP/IP for wireless connetions regarding the adapter but we have no ethernet cables or place suitable for it to run to the modem.
You've read my mind. Trying wired connection is the next thing I will suggest to see if it connects to the internet at all. Good luck!

You've read my mind. Trying wired connection is the next thing I will suggest to see if it connects to the internet at all. Good luck!

Yeah, I am so baffled.. If it does connect via cable.. I guess it's time for another adapter or new computer altogether ... With built in wifi capabilities on the NIC..

If you are switching wireless adapter and if you can find this in your area, get this one: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1232&item_id=062513 . I am using it on my old Vista laptop to get dual band capabilities. It's TESTED to work flawlessly on Vista. See my thread about it here: http://windowsforum.com/threads/5ghz-wifi-adapter.185045/

The one I got is refurbished (got it for $9.99) but the brand new equivalent costs $39.33 (here (same store): http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1048_1053&item_id=040702 )

If you are switching wireless adapter and if you can find this in your area, get this one: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1232&item_id=062513 . I am using it on my old Vista laptop to get dual band capabilities. It's TESTED to work flawlessly on Vista. See my thread about it here: http://windowsforum.com/threads/5ghz-wifi-adapter.185045/

The one I got is refurbished (got it for $9.99) but the brand new equivalent costs $39.33 (here (same store): http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1048_1053&item_id=040702 )

Thanks for the suggestions! But I feel they will go in vain if I buy them, I just tested the computer via ethernet cable set to DHCP and all with the IP protocals of 6 and 4 both checked to be on. In the network connections window it says the lan connection is enabled but once again either side isn't receiving packets at all and it just says the IP4 and IP6 connectivity is 'not connected'... Logged into the integrated routers interface and still things are connecting via DHCP, only the computer that's currently always been connected to it is getting an address, also my laptop if I move it down and connect to it..

Just this pc can no longer seem to get an address... One more check could be to bring it down to the other side of the house to connect from that modem. But I feel it wont make a difference.

Connected it with ethernet to the other modem. It's definitely something to do with the computer itself, neither the ethernet adapter nor wireless adapter work and both refer back to the IP bindings in the diagnostic choice.... So I am unsure what to do there.

you may want to backup your mom's files and do a system repair.
Yeah she's considering buying an external hard drive to put everything onto it as this computers space was only 250gbs so it only had around 100gb worth of stuff she'd want to keep.

I told her I could factory reset it and if need be she can just keep this computer as it should work unless it was strongly infected but I doubt that'd be the case. But yeah for the time being she could use it once it's restored to factory settings (just for internet) until she gets a new desktop. I told her it wouldn't be anything overly expensive if you want something that'll run the same speed as that.
Because she knows my laptop costed around 1.8 grand.

By the way, you just hit 666 in messages.... Can I really trust you? ;)

:demon::demon:
Yeah she's considering buying an external hard drive to put everything onto it as this computers space was only 250gbs so it only had around 100gb worth of stuff she'd want to keep.

I told her I could factory reset it and if need be she can just keep this computer as it should work unless it was strongly infected but I doubt that'd be the case. But yeah for the time being she could use it once it's restored to factory settings (just for internet) until she gets a new desktop. I told her it wouldn't be anything overly expensive if you want something that'll run the same speed as that.
Because she knows my laptop costed around 1.8 grand.

By the way, you just hit 666 in messages.... Can I really trust you? ;)

667, now you can consider trusting me.:demon:

I noticed that you had earlier reset the IP stack, I assume with
netsh int ip reset
Did you at that time also reset the Winsock Catalog with
netsh winsock reset
restart computer
If not give it a try it's not going to hurt and may just break something loose.
Also double check the properties of the problem NIC, type
ncpa.cpl
into the run dialog box (win logo key + r) and hit enter
right click the problem NIC and choose properties
In the "This connection uses the following items: box
Make sure there are no entries pertaining to old security suites or random services that are no longer used.
Additionally in device manager
on the tool bar click "View" and then "Show hidden devices"
Take a look for, again, any random entries relating to old products no longer needed and left over from previous products.

Back