Windows 7 Can't connect with XP machines

Charles Linquist

Extraordinary Member
I have a home network with 7 or 8 XP machines. All are on the same workgroup. All share EVERYTHING. All have passwords. All are logged in with an ADMINISTRATOR account. All can see each other on the network. They all talk to each other just fine. All the GUEST accounts are turned ON.

I loaded Windows 7 on a machine, and turned on sharing for drive C: I gave everyone ALL permissions. I also went into the Network and Sharing Center. I had no idea what a "HomeGroup" was, so I went a few more menus deep and found the Workgroup setting. I set that up with the name of my workgroup.

From the Windows 7 machine, I can see all the XP machines on the network, and they can see the Windows 7 machine. But when I try to view anything (drive C:\ , for example), I get the "you might not have permission to view this network resource....". I get the same thing when I try to log on to the Windows 7 machine from the XP machines.

Since I can't log on to my XP machines, I also can't connect to, and use the printers attached to them.

I basically want a big, open, flat network. No security at all between machines. What do I need to do?

I actually have the opposite problem. Though I have only three machines total, one of which is running Windows 7, both of my XP machines cannot access the main drive on the Windows 7 machine, though my Windows 7 machine can access everything on my XP machines.

My workgroup name is the same for all machines and all machines can see each other. My XP machines can access the Homegroup directories or any directories I create within the homegroup, but when I try and put my Windows 7's C:\ drive into the homegroup, I am still unable to access the C:\ drive.

I fiddled around with things but still can't get my network to work the way I want it to. All this is not a pressing need, currently, but I'd still like to get it to work.

To allow my Windows 7 machine complete access to my XP machines, I don't recall doing anything special. Maybe your issue is a driver issue?

Alan

OK unlike some problems all the machines can see each other.
This looks like Firewall / AV settings might be inhibiting access.
For testing disable AV software and switch off firewalls. If you are paranoia disconnect from Internet as well.
Now see if you can connect.

Another solution is to re-set all the share options on ALL the machines and then permit share on a USER basis (select the disk / folder you want to share, right mouse click, properties, sharing, advanced permissions, add -- then add your user id and the privileges you want).

On the Windows XP machines as well as the above re-run the Network setup wizard from the control panel. re-boot.

You should be able to access all the folders you want.
Now re-enable firewalls and re-start AV software.

Cheers
jimbo

OK, I'll try this. But please note that I have all firewalls turned off, and am running NO A/V software. I have a Linux machine between the internet and my home network. It does a good job of keeping the bad stuff out.

OK unlike some problems all the machines can see each other.
This looks like Firewall / AV settings might be inhibiting access.
For testing disable AV software and switch off firewalls. If you are paranoia disconnect from Internet as well.
Now see if you can connect.

Another solution is to re-set all the share options on ALL the machines and then permit share on a USER basis (select the disk / folder you want to share, right mouse click, properties, sharing, advanced permissions, add -- then add your user id and the privileges you want).

On the Windows XP machines as well as the above re-run the Network setup wizard from the control panel. re-boot.

You should be able to access all the folders you want.
Now re-enable firewalls and re-start AV software.

Cheers
jimbo

I run a router only with no firewall. Also, adding a user ID is something I've tried. I can't recall if I've run the network setup dealie or not. Maybe I'll try that. Still, do things have to be this convoluted just to get a simple home network fully functional?

To your first point about the firewall and probably point two too, accessing this so-called homegroup is no problem. It's just when I try to add an entire drive to the homegroup that I run into problems. This obviously means that having a firewall is not an issue.

I had the same problem with Vista but ended up fixing it, after going through as many steps as it takes to get to the observation deck of the Empire State Builiding. It's one of the things that annoyed me about Vista, and apparently-- at least when it comes to networking-- Win 7 is no different.

Alan

Yes, very much shades of Vista, I never did get access to my vista machine from my xp machine. Although both Vista and Win7 find the xp machine, and access the files, no problem at all. I might spend some time with Win7 and see if I can't figure it out. Although the network center seems to have changed a fair bit, with many more options and controls. It would be nice to have a stripped down network manager. I run a double hardware firewall (Linux Based Router and DSL modem) so have the firewall on all computers shut off at the moment. Although I still have my AV and Spyware software running on both.

Ian

no luck here either.
one machine running XP home another that had been running XP home (until my Win7 install)
both were part of a home network with shared printers and drives and tra la la la la, everything was wonderful.
now with the WIN7 im stuck with all sorts of permission issues where programs cant seem to modify files on non os hard drives and my machines cant even see each other let alone share a printer or folders.
is there a way to use traditional networking rather than "homegroups" etc...

Okay, so once i get home i will mess with some things, i have windows 7 one machine and the xp on my other machines i am pretty good with OSs and networking, i well attempt to fix this dilema. i have yet to try to share anything with other machines, so i will give it a go......will let you know of any possible ways around this problem.....

just a thought..

I havent tryed networking my 6 pcs yet, however in all of the reading about problems with this makes me think that theres different properties between "homegroup" & "workgroup". Workgroup was easy enough for even amatuers, however, MS seems to have wanted to add yet another dumbed down psuedo wizard called homegroup.
Do you remember how it was to connect a wireless card to Windows 98. All of the channels, bindings, and other configurations had to be manually put in. This was almost the same way with workgroup. But with Homegroup, I'm not sure all of these advanced configurations are compatible with workgroup.
I also think that since ip v6 is wreaking havoc with my router, then its very well possible it could be conflicting with the default ip v4 settings that XP runs.

just my 2 cents

I have a home network with 7 or 8 XP machines. All are on the same workgroup. All share EVERYTHING. All have passwords. All are logged in with an ADMINISTRATOR account. All can see each other on the network. They all talk to each other just fine. All the GUEST accounts are turned ON.

I loaded Windows 7 on a machine, and turned on sharing for drive C: I gave everyone ALL permissions. I also went into the Network and Sharing Center. I had no idea what a "HomeGroup" was, so I went a few more menus deep and found the Workgroup setting. I set that up with the name of my workgroup.

From the Windows 7 machine, I can see all the XP machines on the network, and they can see the Windows 7 machine. But when I try to view anything (drive C:\ , for example), I get the "you might not have permission to view this network resource....". I get the same thing when I try to log on to the Windows 7 machine from the XP machines.

Since I can't log on to my XP machines, I also can't connect to, and use the printers attached to them.

I basically want a big, open, flat network. No security at all between machines. What do I need to do?

I've got the same problem...
I can connect all my XP machines to each to each other using traditional networkin (and not simplified). Unfortunaltely, I'm struggling to connect to Windows XP share folders from Windows7.

I've tried pretty much all that I know based on Windows networking as well as the tips mentioned here in this thread.

I'd appreciate further tips..

thanks!

Same issue + Not pingable

I have the same issue; XP machines cannot see the Windows 7 machine. I've tried all suggestions here. Anothet symptom of mine is the XP machines cannot even ping the Windows 7 machine succesfully. Win 7 machine can ping the others fine. Windows firewall is turned off, and there is no other software running on the machine. Any ideas why I can't even ping the box?

I've got the same problem...
I can connect all my XP machines to each to each other using traditional networkin (and not simplified). Unfortunaltely, I'm struggling to connect to Windows XP share folders from Windows7.

I've tried pretty much all that I know based on Windows networking as well as the tips mentioned here in this thread.

I'd appreciate further tips..

thanks!

I forgot to mention that when I try to connect from Win7 to a WinXP shared folder it keeps on asking me for a username and password. I've tried existing accounts with no luck, I've even created a new account on Win7 with admin rights yet, I still I keep on getting the same login window asking me for username and password.

Thanks

If you mean W7 to a WinXP shared folder, its most likely winXP problem, unless you can connect to them with another computer; that being said, make sure you have no firewalls on, and the setting : require password to login.... is disabled in WinXP

I have installed Win 7 on my Fujitsu Siemens Notebook. The XP computers from Network can see the shared folders but my Windows 7 cannot see the XP Computers. Pinging in cmd I see the XP computers, but in Windows Explorer nothing. I tried Workgroup (with the same name for all network) and home network.

Can anybody help me.

Thanks

make sure you have sharing enabled on your XP machine, make sure your firewall accepts windows sharing with other computers, OR if you have an advanced firewall, make sure your IP's are accepted by the firewall. Futhermore, if it doesn't show up in explorer, simply try \\"name of computer" if you already havent; if it refuses to work after that, check your router to see if it is blocking a port on an ip or something dumb like that...

make sure you have sharing enabled on your XP machine, make sure your firewall accepts windows sharing with other computers, OR if you have an advanced firewall, make sure your IP's are accepted by the firewall. Futhermore, if it doesn't show up in explorer, simply try \\\"name of computer\" if you already havent; if it refuses to work after that, check your router to see if it is blocking a port on an ip or something dumb like that...

Thanks for your Help. In windows 7 had missing TCP/IP Netbios helper enable. The rest Workstation, DHCP Client, DNS Client, Server and Computer Browser had been already enable.

Networking appears to be still "slightly broken" in W7 Build 7000.

If your W7 machine has a different Userid / Password combination from the XP machine you want to connect to then the initial LOGON screen prompting for a UserID / Password is missing and you'll get an error "Windows is unable to access this resource \\xpcomputername.

To get round this simply do (on the W7 machine) :

On the W7 Machine try connecting as follows

on Network right mouse click and then connect network drive. Note click on the HIGH LEVEL Network icon not against the machine you want to connect to.

Note also the FIRST time you try and connect the W7 machine to your network you should run the Network setup wizard on all the XP machines and ensure they are in the same workgroup as the W7 machine. You might also "Unshare" and "Reshare" drives on the XP machines -- this should reset / update directory prmissions as well.

then type \\xpmachinename\sharename and see if you can connect or get a logon screen asking for a userid and password.
You can also type \\lanipaddress\sharename instead of the computer name where laneipaddress is the LOCAL lan IP address of the XP computer.

Once you've connected then you can click on the computer in the Network list and it will work as before.

It should work without doing this is your W7 userid / password is the same as on the XP machine you want to connect to.

Ensure also your W7 computer is defined as being on a PRIVATE network and enable file and printer sharing.

Don't bother with Homegroups.

Cheers

jimbo

Last edited:
This worked for me !!! Thanks VERY much. I hope someone posts this on some other threads as this is a frustrating problem and needs to be made easier.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom