Windows 7 cant delete a folder

franktheman7

I made a folder on my desktop and tried to put a file in it
but the system froze up and now i cant open the folder and i cant delete it.

please help,

franktheman7

Reboot your system.
What happens when you try? Any error messages? Like access denied or you do not have blah blah?
Right click the folder and choose properties.
Select the security tab in the resultant dialog box.
Click the advanced button
Select the Owner tab
if you are not the current owner and you name is present in the Change owner to: box select your username to give youself ownership of the folder.
If you name is not present click the edit button, the the Other users or groups button, then the Advanced Button, then the Find Now button find your name in the list of users and groups, double click it and OK your way back out of there making sure to check the box that says Replace ownere on subcontainers and objects.
Back on the security tab, double check and make sure your username has full control and OK your way back out of there.
Now you should be able to delete it.

it says (Unable to display current owner.)
when i try to set my name as owner it says
(unable to set new owneron xxx folder) (access is denied)

Strange! Did it not offer to delete at boot? Although, I have to admit you have a very strange predicament there!!

Hi

I have one of those right now too!

As I said in other posts I partitioned my main drive and then moved some of the files from my data drive to the new partition.

One of them was a folder named Michael's Files, in which I kept personal stuff like med records, purchase receipts, and old files from long ago.

I always copy stuff from drive to drive and make sure it's there before I delete it.

When I was done I went through and deleted all the stuff I had moved from the original drive.

Everything but this one folder, I was able to delete all the contents but the empty folder keeps telling me I need permission from my account name to delete it.

That's if there is something in it.

If it's empty I get a different message. It says Error 0x80070091: the directory is not empty.

I have tried using Grant Full Admin Control, doing it from Administer Account etc.
I still can't get rid of it.

I haven't tried Unlocker I will give that a try tomorrow and see if that works.
I'll report back then.

Mike

The folder may have become corrupt. Run a scandisk. Right click the c: drive > Properties > Tools Tab - Then select Eror-Checking and select both check boxes "Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". You will need to reboot so the scandisk can run. It should remove the folder if it is corrupt. I have removed corrupted files this way before. Good luck

Try Start - All Programs - Accessories.
RIGHT click on Command Prompt and choose "Run as Administrator"
Type net user administrator /active:yes

Now see if you can delete the contents/folder.

If succesful or not, it is a good idea to disable the Admin account again, for security reasons
To disable, Follow the same procedure, but type net user administrator /active:no

I got it ppl,
I have this program called Folder Lock 7
and i had a folder called xxx locked with it
then i make three more folders called
xxxx, xxxxxx, xxxxxxxx and for some reason
Folder Lock 7 saw them and locked them up on me,
when i opened Folder Lock 7 and un-locked the folder called xxx
it then released all the folders that were lock by Folder Lock 7.

Thank you all so very much for your help

F

Back