Windows 8 Can't do as administrator (I am); nor run anything as admin

Georgey

Honorable Member
Hi,

I am the only user and administrator, this is shown in all settings, yet I apparently cannot do anything that requires administrator’s rights, e.g.

- I cannot change the ‘hosts’ file. If I edit directly, cannot save, for not having permission; if I edit elsewhere and try to copy back, the ‘paste’ option is grayed out (the file is not flagged as read only, of course).
- I cannot open the ‘manage’ option in ‘My Computer’.

Nor can I run any program as administrator, e.g. notepad, Microangelo, or cmd. All open readily as ‘normal’, none as administrator. The elevated command prompt would not start from Win+X either.

My only hunch is that all ‘administrator’ per se is somehow disabled; the system checks on the privilege but never recognizes. If, so, where is it done? Corruption or absence of which file or registry item may cause that? Of course, the solution may be something entirely different.

Thanks a lot.

Besides the built-in Windows Defender, do you have other anti-virus/security program installed?
More specifically, do you have malwarebytes installed?
Do you know how to go to Safe Mode in Win 8?

I have Bitdefender Windows 8 Security (64 bit) but it had been installed when this problem started.
Yes, ones I founded how to enable the F8 key for safe mode and did.

I have Bitdefender Windows 8 Security (64 bit) but it had been installed when this problem started.
Yes, ones I founded how to enable the F8 key for safe mode and did.

F8 key can get you to safe mode ?
In windows 8 ?

I thought you lost your admin rights.
Didn't you say that you could not use elevated command prompt ?
Please tell me if you can do any of the followings :
1. Elevated cmd.
2. Install new programs from the web.
3. Do system restore.
4. Create another admin account.

As mentioned I can't open elevated cmd (either from the main panel or by Xin+X keys), nor can I start any other program as admin. I could make a restore point but haven't tried to actually restore. I'm gonna check this and the other points.

As mentioned I can't open elevated cmd (either from the main panel or by Xin+X keys), nor can I start any other program as admin. I could make a restore point but haven't tried to actually restore. I'm gonna check this and the other points.

If you cannot use elevated cmd, then why did you say......
Sorry, I mistyped but I found this, and worked.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-the-f8-key-in-windows-8/

How could it work for you if you cannot access elevated cmd ?

You asked 'Do you know how to go to Safe Mode in Win 8?'
I answered 'Yes, ones I found[ed] how to enable the F8 key for safe mode and did.'

Once, before this issue occured.

Since you cannot run elevated cmd,
here is another way to get to safe mode......
press the Win key + R key > a Run box will appear > type msconfig into the box > press OK or Enter > click Boot at the top > check the box in front of safe mode >click OK > click Restart > wait > you are now in safe mode.

In safe mode, run your Bitdefender. See if it finds anything. Hopefully, it does. Please post back whether it finds any.

In safe mode, see if you can download and install Malwarebytes free edition.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/
Select the free version.
Once installed click Update > after update is done, click Scanner > run full scan.

Will the computer let you do any of the above ?

Last edited:
Adding......
You will be logged on to safe mode each time you start the computer.
To get out of safe mode, repeat the steps, except that you UNCHECK the safe mode box.
press the Win key + R key > a Run box will appear > type msconfig into the box > press OK or Enter > click Boot at the top > uncheck the box in front of safe mode >click OK > click Restart

Best rough and ready way I have found, when my back is against the wall, is to restart/startup, and as soon as the sequence begins to boot up windows, switch off the computer. Next time you start, it will offer safe mode. Not for the nervous!

Yes Sir, this is the right track. Yet, I don't know how far to go.
Malwarebytes found two dozen objects, the quilty ones must be included. On the other hand, I have some programs from the net which may be included too, though are harmless; I certainly have them longer than the start of this problem and would like to keep. Is there any way in Malwarebytes to look up the date of infection? Or find out somehow which are which?

Bitdefender might not live up to its reputation? What are the best shields, what do you have?

As to safe mode, I'm sorry if I still wasn't clear enough. I found and followed the above mentioned tutorial in May. Ever since I can start Windows 8 in safe mode just like Windows 7. Hopefully this is for some benefit to you too.

Yes Sir, this is the right track. Yet, I don't know how far to go.
Malwarebytes found two dozen objects, the quilty ones must be included. On the other hand, I have some programs from the net which may be included too, though are harmless; I certainly have them longer than the start of this problem and would like to keep. Is there any way in Malwarebytes to look up the date of infection? Or find out somehow which are which?

Bitdefender might not live up to its reputation? What are the best shields, what do you have?

As to safe mode, I'm sorry if I still wasn't clear enough. I found and followed the above mentioned tutorial in May. Ever since I can start Windows 8 in safe mode just like Windows 7. Hopefully this is for some benefit to you too.

There is another member replying to you.
I hesitated to reply because I have no idea to whom you were addressing the last reply.
Please use the REPLY button to indicate which member you are replying to.

I took a chance and reply since I was the only one suggesting Malwarebytes.
1. Malwarebytes is designed to catch malwares. It has nothing to do with your installed programs nor will it delete them.
2. It is getting confusing.......
You never said you had Malwarebytes before.
Does that mean you were able to download and install it just now ? If so, you do have admin rights otherwise you would not be able to download Malwarebytes. Please clarify.
What exactly is your status now? Do you still have the same problems as you started?

Sorry, I overlooked that one reply had come from another member, the two of us have been in this conversation for long, I was addressing you.
As to programs from the net, I mean they may be cracked that is malicious legally, not technically.
I heard about Malwarebytes from you first. I could download and run it (in safe mode) just now. I deleted a few of the items that it detected, not all, bacause of the above reason. Then I tried to run notepad and cmd as admin, still couldn't.
I cannot clarify my status, I guess it is in fact not clear - owing to some malware. According to the control panel I am (as always been) the only user and administrator. As you pointed out, this installation shows that I have some of the privilages. My initial issue, showed that I don't have some other. I don't know if running programs as admin is administrator's right only or not, but now I can't.

OK.
I asked you to create another admin account.
Please do that, if you have not.
If it is successful, logon to this new admin and see if you have full admin rights.
Post back the result, one way or the other.

I tried it whan you said, I couldn't create any new account.
Now, having deleted a few of Malwarebytes catch, I'm gonna attempt it again.

Nothing's changed. When I try to add a new user, first an email address is asked for, the next screen says 'please wait'. I waited about ten minutes yesterday as well as now, then gave it up.
I noticed at one of the malware items the name of a program that I downloaded over half a year ago. This is certainly not guilty now, but probably not legal either.

Nothing's changed. When I try to add a new user, first an email address is asked for, the next screen says 'please wait'. I waited about ten minutes yesterday as well as now, then gave it up.
I noticed at one of the malware items the name of a program that I downloaded over half a year ago. This is certainly not guilty now, but probably not legal either.

Do I assume that you still cannot access elevated cmd ?

Back
Top Bottom