Windows 10 Can't open Admin Prompt?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi Guys...

Since the last update I can't open the Command Prompt from the Start Menu. When I click on it nothing happens.
If I open the Run window, and type "Command" I get the option to click on it and it opens.

But I want to run SFC /scannow and I need to be logged in as Admin.
I can't remember what to enter to have it open the Admin Window, one of the many problems with being 82.

Also, the Command Prompt shows from the Start button after I fiddled around with it trying to fix this, not the option to show the PowerShell, how do I change it back?

Thanks

Mike

Have you tried, when you get the Command prompt option, to right click on it and choose Run as administrator?

If I open the Run window, and type "Command" I get the option to click on it and it opens.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

When I right-click on it puts in whatever is on the clipboard.

I don't get the window with the option, cmd takes me right to the prompt.

I have found a link on my start screen that takes me to the command prompt but no access to anything else.
I am the Administrator, I can't seem to get to a window that shows any other users.

I used to be able to type in "net user administrator /active:yes"

Now when I do that I get Access is denied and System error 5 has occurred.

Command Prompt.JPG

PS.

I figured out how to get it to show Windows PowerShell on the start menu instead of command prompt but it won't open either one from there.
The regular command prompt is the only thing I can get to open. Pretty sure this started with the update last week.

Last edited:
On the taskbar, on the left side, there is a search box. Write in it Command and the command prompt will appear somewhere above the search box. When Command Prompt App is displayed on the left top corner of the search app and it is already highlighted. On the right part of the search app window you will have different options (see attached picture), just pick the Run as administrator.
I have Win10 Pro version 1909. What win version do you have?

96f81d6bf480859136999d1f07a2a04c.jpg

Yes, I can get to that screen but if I click Command Prompt it takes me to the prompt if I click Run as Administrator nothing happens.
I'm running version 2004.

I think this started when it updated.

How did you get the screenshot, everything I did to take one caused the window to close?

All I want to do is run sfc /scannow to see if it finds anything wrong at this point.

I have a system image file, if I have to I can go back before the update to 2004.

Yes, I can get to that screen but if I click Command Prompt it takes me to the prompt if I click Run as Administrator nothing happens.
I'm running version 2004.

I think this started when it updated.

That's the reason I don't update but only after a new version is out. I hate bugs that give me headaches and a lot of work afterwards, to correct them.
If you installed the 2004 update not more than 10 days before, than you could be able to rollback.
Just do a Google search if you don't know how to do it.

How did you get the screenshot, everything I did to take one caused the window to close?

This is an easy one. In order to get to the Snip & Sketch without closing the search app, just press Windows logo key+Shift+S when the search app is still open. At the middle top of the screen you'll see some capture options. Choose the one you want and continue with the capture process.

All I want to do is run sfc /scannow to see if it finds anything wrong at this point.

I have a system image file, if I have to I can go back before the update to 2004.

I think I found a solution for you, to get the admin command prompt: just press Windows logo key+X. You'll get a pop-up menu with one of the menu items the one you are looking for. Assuming they didn't change this behavior also......

Windows Key Plus X opens the same menu that you get from the start button when you right-click on it.
That's kind of where I started the menu opens with "As Administrator" on it but when you click on it nothing happens.
I guess I'll just ignore if for a while and see if I find a solution, if I don't I'll restore my System Image and start over before the update.

Have you tried this: ?

Also, have you tried to make a new admin user and run the admin cmd from there?

Just some thoughts…. I always try first to fix things because I don't like at all radical solutions like reinstall windows from backup or fresh install windows or format disk and so on.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
"I used to be able to type in "net user administrator /active:yes"

This is the culprit! when the built in INACTIVATED administrators account has been activated then a number of security functions are disabled..

One of those are the UAC!

First of all! There are NO reason at all to activate the builtin inactivated Administrators account! Who ever told you to do this fooled you!

The easiest way to correct this is by reinstalling your computer BUT IN A CORRECT WAY!
Thereby you would NEVER need to allow your self to use the "net user administrator"-command at all.. (That is actually rather stupid, since you need to have Administrators rights to perform the "net user administrator /active:yes"-command.. So why would you!? You are already Admin! (Just asking! :) )

To me it looks like you (or similar) has ruined your computers built in security.. Correct me if i´m wrong!

Yes I'm already Admin, but it used to be that the hidden Admin account would let you bypass things that you still couldn't do as admin.
Like a folder that Windows had decided to not let you access for no known reason or delete things it said you couldn't.

There were a lot of things like that it was handy for, the only alternative being to log into Linux and delete the things.
I used to use it a lot, but it obviously doesn't work like it used to anymore.

Everything seems to be working normally, Defender and Malwarebytes and both working.

I think that when I get the time I'll just restore my system image file from before this was happening.
I only have Windows installed on my C:\ drive so it doesn't involve any other files and it doesn't take too long.

Unless this was caused by the update I don't know what's doing it.

Just checked and the UAC seems to be working normally.
Actually I can't seem to find anything that isn't working but the getting a prompt as Administrator and I haven't been able to get it to log in without the password, or code screen for a long time but someone said that doesn't work anymore.

Last edited:
The disabled built-in administrator account does not have any special permissions over someone who is a member of the 'administrators' group. The important thing to note is even if you are a member of the administrators group your account runs as a normal user. When you activate the UAC prompt that given process is granted a new access token which does have the administrator rights.

Hi

I came back to say that I finally found a solution.
I had tried many solutions that people suggested, it seems I'm not the only person to have this problem. None of them worked for me.

I found many people complaining until I found this answer.

Open Task Manager.
Click on File.
Select Run New Task.
Type in Powershell.
Click the box that says Create Task with Administrator Privileges.
Click OK

That opened the Powershell with Admin privileges.
I was able to run SFC /scannow and it worked found errors and fixed them.

The answer was simple, my links on the Start Menu still don't work but the Admin Powershell does.

I still don't know why the normal method doesn't work but at least I have a simple workaround.

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom