Windows 10 Can't recognize HDD as HDD

Bear

Not sure whats going on but for some dumb reason windows 10 is not recognizing my
3TB Hitachi UltraStar 7K3000 as a HDD
it insists its a SSD.
My 850 evo has to go back to samsung so they told me to clone the c: onto D: then change boot order.

Perfect sense, same as always so I do so and now not only is the system HORRENDOUSLY slow but when I check system defrag it insists drive "c:" is a ssd.
if I run "defraggler" it does see it as a HDD but not the win 10 defragger.
The bios is set to uefi.
now I realize hdd is slower then SSD but not THIS slow. It takes roughly 4 minutes to fully load windows and stabilize.

Attachments

• sysinfo.zip
    150.1 KB · Views: 218
If you cloned from a SSD to a HDD then my guess is there is some flag or setting in the registry that has the device marked as an SSD.

ok, and you fix it how?
Reg is not exactly a place to just randomly flip switches

Couldn't tell you off hand, it may something that can be identified with procmon monitoring the defrag utility. It's also likely there are optimized settings stored in the registry for an SSD and that could also attribute to the slow load speeds.

So let me get this straight... your support member who can't tell me HOW to fix a problem?

We're here to try and help. We're not paid and your attitude and last post just isn't on. Now goto device manage find the disk windows is on. Use the uninstall and then reboot. Doing this should get the drive picked up at boot and reinstall as a HDD and not a SSD.

NMSUK

@nmsuk It really wasn't an attitude that was inappropriate.
As a Support tech myself I understand what your function is, HOWEVER telling someone a setting needs to change and NOT how to do so isn't helpful. Clearly I already knew that or why would I be here?
This is a Microsoft official support channel so you would naturally expect a much higher level of knowledge then a general community forum.
The bottom line is telling someone it's broke isn't helpful at all, clearly they already know that.
NOW, I will attempt your solution.

just an fyi, I've been doing exactly the same type of function and compensation for Joomla! for over 10 years now so I totally get what your saying, ijs.

The thing is we're not officially anything but a group of enthusiasts who try to help as best we can. I will be removing your warning as I may of over reacted.

We don't work for Microsoft, so no we can't explain every possible setting in each version of Windows, besides Microsoft doesn't document everything.

@nmsuk nope, didn't solve the issue :(
upload_2017-10-22_17-7-31.png

whats really interesting is defraggler finds it as HDD, and it was HDD when it was "d:"
i don't know how relevant it is, but the system is also taking roughly 4 minutes to FULLY boot.
I haven't seen that kind of behavior in years... If you check the system info file I included in my original post, you'll see that my machine is not THAT BAD of a system so, really not sure whats going on.
The drive is 7200 rpm with 64mb cache so it shouldn't really be slow.

We don't work for Microsoft, so no we can't explain every possible setting in each version of Windows, besides Microsoft doesn't document everything.
I can totally understand that... Even though I'm a coder there is so much .... undocumented stuff in J! it's impossible for me to know every line of code.. I'm far to old to have that kind of memory anymore.

The thing is we're not officially anything but a group of enthusiasts who try to help as best we can. I will be removing your warning as I may of over reacted.
Appreciate that.. I think if you check my others posts you'll find I'm quite reasonable.

Looking in HKLM\Hardware\DEVICEMAP\SCSI\SCSI Port 0\SCSI Bus #\Logical Unit Id # if the drive is still represented as an SSD then it's possible defrag thinks it's an SSD

Did you try my suggestion of removing the disk from device manager and then rebooting? That should in theory force windows to re eval it as label it as a HDD and not a SSD.

yeah, I did.. I know its really weird.. I tried a number of things before coming here. The fact that defraggler has it right but not win10 is what really confuses me.
Another interesting thing is, it has the cdrom as 0:0!
upload_2017-10-22_17-26-54.png

i don't anything specifying drive type here.

You could run procmon and select "Enable Boot logging" under options. Reboot then launch procmon again. This file will be huge but you can look at large gaps in the timestamp to determine what's causing the slow boot time.

dang thats a HUGE report... I couldn't upload the files here even though they are zipped so I put them on google drive.
I looked but didn't see anything about the type of drive it is.
procman - Google Drive The bootlog file will be another 3min before its fully uploaded.

I just found some other reports... idk what "device not migrated" means..
upload_2017-10-22_18-14-20.png

Back
Top Bottom