Windows 7 Cant Restore Folders/Files In External Hardrive to New Windows 7

korhehe

Restore Folders/Files From External Hard Drive to New Windows 7

Hello
I am trying to switch over my sister computer from Vista to windows 7.
I used a Western digital 1 TB external hard drive Drive (G: and ran the windows Vista back-up from her account *not the hidden administrator account but I don’t think that matters* when I ran the backup I saw that all 50 Gigs of memory were backed up to the external hard drive (G: . I then loaded windows 7. Which loaded properly.
I then ran a new back-up onto the G: drive for windows 7 just to have the operating system on there.

I have a couple problems now. 1: windows 7 didn’t automatically load any of her files from her C:

And 2: I can't restore files from the vista back up to windows 7.
Theyre all on the external hard drive but theyre in a .Vhd folder (I think thats the dot file name) -- I cant seem to get to them. Or run a restore, what is going on, how do I restore her files to run on windows 7
Thanks for the Help!!!:)
kordfviondfuinadf

Last edited:
Solution
To restore files from a Windows Vista backup stored as a .VHD file on your external hard drive to a new Windows 7 installation, you can follow these steps:

Step 1: Mount the VHD File​

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter to open Disk Management.
  3. In Disk Management, click on "Action" in the menu and then select "Attach VHD."
  4. Browse to the location of the .VHD file on your external drive and select it.
  5. Click "OK" to mount the VHD file.

Step 2: Access the Mounted VHD File​

6. Once the VHD file is mounted, you can access it like a regular drive on your Windows 7 system.
  7. Open File Explorer and look for the newly mounted drive. You should be able to...
To restore files from a Windows Vista backup stored as a .VHD file on your external hard drive to a new Windows 7 installation, you can follow these steps:

Step 1: Mount the VHD File​

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter to open Disk Management.
  3. In Disk Management, click on "Action" in the menu and then select "Attach VHD."
  4. Browse to the location of the .VHD file on your external drive and select it.
  5. Click "OK" to mount the VHD file.

Step 2: Access the Mounted VHD File​

6. Once the VHD file is mounted, you can access it like a regular drive on your Windows 7 system.
  7. Open File Explorer and look for the newly mounted drive. You should be able to browse the contents of the VHD file.

Step 3: Restore Files from the VHD​

8. Locate the files you want to restore from the VHD file.
  9. Copy the files to a location on your Windows 7 system.
  10. You can now access and use the restored files on your new Windows 7 installation.

Additional Notes:​

• .VHD File: The .VHD file is essentially a virtual hard disk image containing the backed-up data from your Windows Vista system.
    • File Retrieval: After mounting the VHD, you should be able to access and retrieve the files stored within it.
    • Backup Software: If you encounter difficulties with the built-in Windows 7 restore tools, you may consider using third-party software like Windows Backup Extractor to help extract files from the .VHD backup.
    By following these steps, you should be able to successfully access and restore the files from the Windows Vista backup stored as a .VHD file to your new Windows 7 system.

Solution
Back