Windows 7 Files in External USB HDD are not being shown

akpuvvada

I have a Western Digital 1 TB External USB HDD.
I have used it for some time.
One day, I was copying files from my laptop to the USB HDD.
It was taking for ever. So, I tries to cancel it. It wouldn't cancel. So, I disconnected the USB HDD by pulling the USB chord.
From that day, it is not working.
When I connect it will show it as a local-disk, but not show any details like size or name of the drive. It takes forever to open right-click menu and properties. Disk Manager takes for ever to show the list of drives. If I double-click on the drive, my whole system becomes slow and windows explorer hangs.

If I restart my system in Safe mode, it will show the drive in Disk Manager as RAW and it gives me an option to format.

I do not want to format it as I have some very important files in it.

Is there a way to recover the data and the HDD.

Please help.

Yes, Recuva is different, like all software are different, but I doubt it will solve your problem. You may try it, the only cost is some time...

You could try a partition program that works from BIOS, like MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition , or GParted GParted -- About, they will show you if the partition / info really exist. However, they won't do any more, except perhaps giving you the chance to move the info to another place --- that is, if it exists. It's a bit complicated.

Have you tried the disk with another computer? Sometimes USB is a bit tricky, like computer technology in general. Try connecting it to a friend's machine? I've had problems with USB sticks, copying and pasting... suddenly I've been told there is nothing, or formatting has failed, or whatever.

Hope you get it running. :)

Of course, theres the possibility that your saves / formatting are corrupted, or that your disk is broken. These things do happen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom