Windows 7 Can't set up homegroup

geoffemm

Following the steps in the ‘Homegroup’ tutorial on this site, I reach point 7, where it tells me to click on the ‘Join now,’ button. However, that button doesn’t appear on the screens of either machine that I want to network?

Opening the homegroup troubleshooter, I get a message telling me that some of the problem is network related (yeah?) and these need to be resolved first. I give the machine its head and it comes back with the response that the computer’s time is out of sync, on both machines. However, clicking on ‘apply this fix,’ brings forth yet another screen saying ‘Troubleshooter has completed, but was unable to fix all issues and that the problem is that my systems time differs from standard local time? I have visited the bios on both machines and made sure the times are as identical as I can get them. I’ve also checked the time in ‘control pannel’.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

For a start all computers in the PCs in Home Group need to be running Windows 7. If you've got a mixed network that may be contributing to the problem.
Joe

Thanks guys for the responses. However, I would have thought it was obvious , from my post, I’m running Windows 7 on both the machines I refer too? The comment about AVG anti-virus is pertinent though; do I need to look at something different, or is there a work round?

I’m also confounded by the line,
‘Also, the link of the tutorial you posted doesn't show.’
Apart from the fact I mentioned the tutorial, I don’t actually post a link to it? Though following the link you give it shows the same procedure, as well as other useful information. And I don’t know what you mean by it, ‘doesn’t show,’? Is it a location where the tutorial I mention doesn’t show, as in you can't see it, or is it that it’s something (like the useful information referred to above), that the tutorial I mention doesn’t show? I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks
Geoff

lol. Forget about the tutorial link. If the one I posted is the same procedures that you followed, you're good to go.

Yes, if you have AVG installed, UNinstall it and try the network. If the network works, unfortunately, you will need to install a different AV on your computers. There are plenty of good ones out there, including free ones. If we get to this, we can advise you witch one. Let's first see if this is the problem. Waiting to here from you.

When you uninstall the AVG or any AV program run the maker's cleanup utility. They frequently leave stuff behind that causes problems.
Joe

There are some versions of Windows 7 you cannot create a Homegroup with, but they will join one.

Do you show your networks as private?

Not really acquainted with the time message, but if you open the date and time dialog, change settings, internet time tab, does it show as automatically syncing with the Windows time site?

This Microsoft site seems to lead you through the entire system and give additional info.

Last edited:
Okay, so I’ve uninstalled AVG anti-virus on both machines. I’ve left the homegroup and created another, on both machines, but still getting the same error messages when trying to connect them. One of the machines is an Acer Aspire 7738g laptop, the other a tower built by a local dealership. It has Intel (R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 4GB Ram. It is a 32-bit system as opposed to the laptops 64-bit. The only difference running the troubleshooter this time is, I engendered a message on the laptop highlighting network services that were running: 2 Skype and 8 Teredo. As for the synchronised time element, both machines use the ‘Windows,’ time setting and I have also tried with Nis. If there’s any other information you’d like, let me know.

Thanks

Geoff

Some more solutions\help I found:

1. Try this thread:
32-bit and 64-bit not able to set up homegroup, error - cannot join - Microsoft Answers

2. When clocks are not synced between two devices bad things happen with files. They become corrupt.

3. Wifi and other issues were solved here:
Solved: pcs can't see each other in homegroup - Tech Support Guy Forums

4. Some more screenshots to make you set them up correctly: Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP - How-To Geek

5. Try to disable firewalls. If that helps, you might have to reconfigure them.

6. This post is VERY long, it also talks about how to connect an XP computer to a Windows 7, but there are MANY solutions that may give light on your problem. Check it out: Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP - How-To Geek

After you have created a HomeGroup on one computer and open the Network and Sharing Center on the other computer, does it say Homegroup: Available to Join? If it does not, then it is not seeing the other computer and the Homegroup Master.

For me, Skype is an unknown. Any possibility a media sharing or streaming setting is involved?

Glad you put up this post. One of the people mentioned hard wiring the 2 computers to the same router so that the computers could see each other and thus enable the "Join" button to show up. It was a pain, BUT IT WORKED!!!

And it still works after removing the cables. Both my Desktop and Laptop are Windows 7.

Also, for those with Wireless Extenders. I thought the new wireless extender is what was causing the problem. It was not the issue.

Boise, Idaho

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom