Windows 7 can't uninstall KB2482017

deeppow

Running Win7 Pro 64-bit

In trying to install SP!, I find that KB2482017 .mum and .cat are corrupted. KB2482017 is a "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer." I've tried to use the "Programs and Features" to remove it, that fails. I've found a "FixIt" associated with the issue and that fails.

Suggestions please. Thanks for your time.

I've uninstalled KB978543 but no luck with SP1. Still can't uninstall KB2482017which is the problem for SP1.

Thats an update for IE 8 so I cannot even mess with it since I have IE9.
Did you download and try reinstall?
You can go to d/l folder and run an admin command prompt and do this
wusa Windows6.1-KB978543-x64.msu /uninstall
also
wusa /? tells how to extract, perhaps extract, boot into safe mode and replace files. Not sure that work

Last edited:
There is a Windows Update troubleshooter in Control Panel-Troubleshooters, have you tried that to see if it will give you any more info?

How do you know .mum and .cat are corrupted?

The WindowsUpdate.log in the Windows directory keeps tracks of updates and might you some cluses as to what is happening. Do a search for that KB or go to the last day if you did an update.

I search my 32 bit install and see around 35 .mum package files for that KB plus a update.mum and update-bf.mum - information only, just in case.

Have you tried opening an administrative command prompt and type sfc /scannow to run a system file check. Maybe that would straighten out the corruption.

Last edited:
There is a Windows Update troubleshooter in Control Panel-Troubleshooters, have you tried that to see if it will give you any more info?

How do you know .mum and .cat are corrupted?

The WindowsUpdate.log in the Windows directory keeps tracks of updates and might you some cluses as to what is happening. Do a search for that KB or go to the last day if you did an update.

I search my 32 bit install and see around 35 .mum package files for that KB plus a update.mum and update-bf.mum - information only, just in case.

Have you tried opening an administrative command prompt and type sfc /scannow to run a system file check. Maybe that would straighten out the corruption.

Yes, unfortunately I've tried those. To see the problems with .mum and .cat files, I looked at the CBS.log file (located in C:/Windows/Logs/CBS). Also ran system readyness tool to generate CheckSUR and CheckSUS.persistlog that are easier to understand.

I'm about to the point of doing a clean install which is a real pain in the a$$.

I do greatly appreciate you folks taking the time to make suggestions!!

Last edited:
Start the Administrative Tools utility in Control Panel.
Double-click Services.
Right-click Cryptographic Services, and then click Stop.
Then rename the %Systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 folder to Catroot2OLD.
Reboot
Close everything and try installing the Windows Update again.
Catroot2 will be created again

I am wondering how this update keep the SP1 from installing. The other update was found to do same.
As I said you can extract then boot into safe mode and replace files. F8 will get you to Repair your Computer and thencmd prompt

The WindowsUpdate.log will show if SP1 is having to wait for a sequential install of updates.

If that update is for IE8, can you install IE9? Maybe that would bypass the update.

I am assuming you have been rebooting for some of the updates...

If you want to copy the last day of your WindowsUpdate.log and post or send to me as a text file, I will check it. It is a large file, so just look for the last day if it includes an attempted update.

Doing a Repair Install is not that much of a deal, you will keep your installs and data.

Edit: Sorry, one more question. How did you attempt to uninstall the KB?

Last edited:
Yes, went into safe mode as Administrator. Extracted files and tried both an install via
start /w pkgmgr /ip /m:C:\update2\Windows6.1-KB2482017-x64.cab /s:C:\Sandbox
See files appear in the Sandbox folder then disappear as I get an error 0x80070490 which appears to be a registry error.

Also tried uninstall via
start /w pkgmgr /m:C:\update2\Windows6.1-KB2482017-x64.cab /up /s:C:\Sandbox
which after awhile finishes but hasn't done anything.

Last edited:
OK, appear to have fixed the problem. At least it is in the middle of installing SP!.

Path was sorta serendipitous but your suggestions helped significantly.

I decided to unisntall IE8 but when I tried to bring up the features window it was blank. A quick search yielded FIX Blank or Empty List in Vista Turn Windows Features On or Off (OptionalFeatures.exe) | Raymond.CC Blog. That basically indicated how to find the registry components to delete. (I already knew how to identify the problem areas from our discussions.) So I just manually modified the registry to the delete the problem areas. Removing those seems to have done the trick.

Hopefully we can let this thread die. Thanks so much for taking the time to help!!!

Last edited:
Glad you got it fixed
I am a registry tweaker but usually don't recommend that because most don't know how.

Ya, hacking the registry when you aren't used to it can be a problem. I've done it for years ..... and yes I have screwed it up on occasion. That is why I backup.

Back