Windows 7 changing the boot drive

merk

Extraordinary Member
Hi all,

copied a hard drive using parted magic. I believe i need to edit a boot.ini file? Or was that something for XP? been a while since i upgraded a hard drive so i dont remember exactly what i did last time. Only thing i seem to remember clearly was to NOT plug both drives in once i copied things as windows would have problems with two hard drives, one being the clone of another.

So as far as i can tell, everything has been copied. Just need to know what i need to do so windows will actually boot off of it. Not counting changing the boot settings in the bios, which i already did to no effect.

thanks

The normal way to replace a drive in Windows 7 is to create a backup image then restore that to the new drive. Do you have that capability?

The normal way to replace a drive in Windows 7 is to create a backup image then restore that to the new drive. Do you have that capability?
so do i first need to write the image to a seperate location and then restore it to the replacement drive? or can i combine that into a single step? i.e. not write an image - just basically do a restore from the source onto the new drive?

also, is it going to try and do a FULL system image? because my boot drive is 80 gig, and even when i select a drive with over 300gb free space, it says there might not be enough room. So i'm getting the feeling it's trying to a full system restore and not just backing up drive c.

Hmm - it wants to backup my games partition. I dont need that drive backed up. It wont let me de-select it.

thanks

Last edited:
thanks for the suggestion. does easybcd replace the windows boot manager? or just configures it?

and is there any way with the windows backup to tell it to NOT backup that other drive? if i pull that drive would it complain about it being missing or would it allow me to just image C drive?

thanks

install is one of the options in easybcd.

As far as backup goes, this may be a good time to try Acronis - it has all the features you can need - and more - and you can get a full featured trial download here:

Acronis True Image - Download

Back