Windows 10 Civilization V constantly crashing with "video_scheduler_internal_error"

Kamunyak

Please forgive me ahead of time, because while I'm okay with computers....I'm not exactly super smart with them, so in some cases I may ask you to explain things like I'm 5 :p

Basically, everytime I play Civilization V, my computer crashes with "video_scheduler_internal_error".

It also freezes whenever I play Dead State.

I have a Dell XPS L502X laptop with a second display (SHARP).

GPU: GeForce GT 540M
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670q CPU @2.20GHz
Memory: 8GB
Current Resolution: 1366 x 768, 60Hz
Driver version: 364.72

Thank you so much! (I have no idea how to give you guys a bios dump, please explain)

Hi Kamunyak! Please read this link and someone will help you when they have time!
Double posted. Please remove this reply!
Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi,
as Holdum333 correctly say's try reading the above link so you can provide the information we need.

In the meantime however your issue sounds graphic driver related. Use your remove programs section in the control panel to uninstall your current nvidia driver. Once it's removed then install the version found on your laptops support page. You don't have any Windows 10 drivers available so use the graphics driver found under the windows 8 section:
Product Support | Dell US

Thread moved to correct section.

There ya go! Thank you so much for your time.

Attachments

• W7F_30-04-2016.zip
    462.7 KB · Views: 240
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 119, {1, 1441f, 14424, ffffe0003949e120}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : dxgmms2.sys ( dxgmms2!VidSchiVerifyDriverReportedFenceId+c210 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
of the three dump files sent two were like the above and one was a bugcheck 9F which means a driver reached an invalid power state. It blamed a Windows USB driver as the probable cause.
The above bugcheck means the video scheduler had an internal error. Looking through the dump file further we find that the driver is reporting an invalid fence ID. Basically this Fence ID is a request by the gpu to use system memory directly.
I can also see the nvidia driver named in the call stack which is usually a good sign that is the culprit.
I see you have the latest Nvidia driver installed and it could be that some corruption has crept in. Please download this application. It's called the Display driver Uninstaller and you will need to run it in safe mode. This will not only safely remove the driver but anything else left behind by previous installs:
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V15.7.5.5 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum

A quick guide on safe mode:
Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10 - Windows Help

Once the driver has been removed and you've rebooted install the driver again and hopefully the issue will be resolved.
NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL
One thing which came to my attention when looking at your support page is that Dell states it will not be releasing any Windows 10 drivers for this product. This could over time lead to issues and you will just have to see how you get on.

Try the above and see how you go. If the issue continues then post back including any new dump files.

Thank you! I've done as you asked and am now downloading the driver. Question: Now my second display isn't working and isn't being detected, how do I remedy that?

Well, I went to play Civ V again and my whole computer froze, I had to do a hard restart. Here's the new dump.

Attachments

• W7F_30-04-2016.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 283
Hi
your zip file didn't contain a dump file so your system must have simply locked up and not actually blue screened.

There's a number of things you can try, first try running these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Check your laptop isn't overheating by making sure all vents are free from dust and obstructions.

I'll be back again in the morning, let me know how you get on.

Hi! @kemical will have a comment on the Error:87 later! I would suggest running the sfc /scannow now again, as suggested by @kemical
PS Are you restarting after running the scans??
If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

I did, and it crashed. I went out and got some canned air and cleaned out my vents, then tried again with speedfan running. My GPU stayed in the 60s......and the game froze my computer about five minutes in.

The game is fully patched. I did everything on that link. I also reinstalled it and started it on the lowest settings and it STILL froze my entire computer. All my temps were under 70.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 119, {1, 9422, 9439, ffffe000d5f48010}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : dxgmms2.sys ( dxgmms2!VidSchiVerifyDriverReportedFenceId+c210 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
this dump is similar to the last one posted and looking through your dump file I can see in the driver section some possible suspects so let's make some changes and see where that leads..

I see your using Panda security apps and I'm not sure if it's one product or several? In any case please uninstall all security products and just use the on board Defender. (you can always re-install later). Panda is known on occasion to cause the odd issue so for now please remove. Windows 10 Defender is almost a straight copy of Microsoft's server AV and is better than previous versions. If you'd still rather run something alongside choose Malwarebytes. As well as being free it's also very stable and works well with Defender.
Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

Sentinel64.sys Mon Jun 02 07:14:55 2008: Rainbow Tech/SafeNet USB Security Device. I'm not familiar with this product. If it's another security app then please remove.

LMIRfsDriver.sys Mon Jul 14 17:26:56 2008: RemotelyAnywhere Mirror Miniport Driver or LogMeIn Mirror Miniport Driver. Please either update or if not used, remove:
Remote Access and Remote Desktop Software for Your Computer | LogMeIn

Once the security has been removed try using the DDU again and reinstalling the driver.

Run a stress test of the gpu using Furmark. Watch the temps in case it starts to overheat.
FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

If the gpu keeps crashing then it might be a hardware issue.

Post any new dump files.

I am sorry it has taken me so long to reply back, as I am not a physically well woman at this time.

It started crashing and freezing my computer with all my games, so I did a complete clean install of Windows 10. I started to play Prison Architect after the clean install, and I got a "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" BSOD that just sat there and did not restart my system. I guess it is a hardware issue after all. I included the dump, in case there were anymore bright ideas.

Attachments

• W7F_05-05-2016.zip
    216.6 KB · Views: 390
Back
Top Bottom