Windows 7 Classic Start Menu

Here's the argument I am going to make for the new start menu. What was the number one thing peopled cursed about in Windows VISTA????

Answer: The cluttered and unecessary background processes that took up lots of memory. Second of course was incompatibility. But what is one way to get rid of the cluttered stuff in an OS? It is to Remove features that are no longer very popular. They have done this immensely in windows 7 and it shows immensely in the performance of the system. You know as the old saying goes "Every good thing must come to an end", and finally windows has brought the classic start menu to an end. There are two things you can do now:

1. Accept the new Start Menu and Move on to learn it. OR
  2. Keep complaining about a feature that microsoft made clear at PDC that "NO MATTER WHAT" They are not including in windows 7. Please move on and accept what microsoft said.
Microsoft employees made it clear at PDC that they arent including the classic start menu because the also had a study done that like 85% of people like the new start menu better.

Dude, I'm so tired of you.

Microsoft employees made it clear at PDC that they arent including the classic start menu because the also had a study done that like 85% of people like the new start menu better.

With their global market share dropping bellow 90% in last year and global recession i don't think Microsoft can afford to potentially loose up to 15% users because of a trivial thing like not including something like classic start menu.

We people are creatures of habits. When someone has used a windows feature for 10+ years not having it can potentially totally disrupt their work process. People don't care how intuitive new start menu is all they want to do is work as they did for 10 years and are used to it. And including classic start menu is the least they can so. They even included classic Win2k/XP theme in Win 7 can't see why not classic start menu.

And anyway, why does someone else using classic start menu bother YOU so much? Noone forces *you* to use it. I don't care what you do nor do i want to tell you what to do. It's your right to use the new menu, but *please* for the love of god respect my and others wish and let us work as we're used for all those years.

I use Vista atm but i'm at the verge of going back to Win XP after a year using it. I have no problems whatsoever reverting back to Win XP instead of upgrading to Win 7 next year.

Last edited:
With their global market share dropping bellow 90% in last year and global recession i don't think Microsoft can afford to potentially loose up to 15% users because of a trivial thing like not including something like classic start menu.

We people are creatures of habits. When someone has used a windows feature for 10+ years not having it can potentially totally disrupt their work process. People don't care how intuitive new start menu is all they want to do is work as they did for 10 years and are used to it. And including classic start menu is the least they can so. They even included classic Win2k/XP theme in Win 7 can't see why not classic start menu.

And anyway, why does someone else using classic start menu bother YOU so much? Noone forces *you* to use it. I don't care what you do nor do i want to tell you what to do. It's your right to use the new menu, but *please* for the love of god respect my and others wish and let us work as we're used for all those years.

I use Vista atm but i'm at the verge of going back to Win XP after a year using it. I have no problems whatsoever reverting back to Win XP instead of upgrading to Win 7 next year.

Overmannus, this is exactly what I'm talking about! Perfect post dude. Thumbs up! :) Way to support those of us whom have used Windows for many, many years. As a System Admin and Network Engineer, I need to get work done fast. I don't need this stupid new menu slowing me down. Thanks a lot Microsoft.

Here's the argument I am going to make for the new start menu. What was the number one thing peopled cursed about in Windows VISTA????

Answer: The cluttered and unecessary background processes that took up lots of memory. Second of course was incompatibility. But what is one way to get rid of the cluttered stuff in an OS? It is to Remove features that are no longer very popular. They have done this immensely in windows 7 and it shows immensely in the performance of the system. .

No offense to you post and opinion of the New Start menu and I'm sure you're well aware of my stance on the Start Menu.

You are exactly right on the incompatibility issue.

However, could you give me some examples as to what features they have removed?

And, what does the Start menu have to do with background processes?

Well reghckr

1. Software Explorer portion of Windows Defender
  2. Windows Meeting Space
  3. InkBall
  4. Classic Start Menu
and then smaller details like:

1. numeric keypad from on screen keyboard
  2. Removable Storage Manager
Those are a few i am aware of things that were in VISTA that have been removed in 7.
The background process thing is very minimal but if you wanted to get down to the nanosecond difference there would be one. Its not noticeable though!

Originally Posted by iroken22

Not once have i said i do not respect your wishes. I am just making the case for microsoft. If you read a page back my post its says at the end that everyone is entitled to their opinion and i respect that. I hope thats not what you consider disrespect. I respect everyones opinion and have never not. Please understand i make a case for microsoft as their was no opposition in this post. The goal was to provide reason behind them removing it. Obviously i was unsuccessful in doing so. Please do not criticize others for stating their opinion.

iroken22,

No disrespect was ever indicated in any way, shape, or form to you or any other member of this forum and I'm not criticizing anyone for their opinion.

You really didn't have to include the quote as I'm fully aware of that and my intention (as you stated in a previous post (was not to get into a fistfight) I fully understand they're not going to implement it and accept that fact. . I was simply asking what features were removed.

What brought my attention to your post was:

Answer: The cluttered and unecessary background processes that took up lots of memory. Second of course was incompatibility. But what is one way to get rid of the cluttered stuff in an OS? It is to Remove features that are no longer very popular. They have done this immensely in windows 7 and it shows immensely in the performance of the system.

Your answer didn't really contain any information regarding the Start menu itself. You talked about background processes and then in you follow up post you state that
The background process thing is very minimal but if you wanted to get down to the nanosecond difference there would be one. Its not noticeable though!

• Regarding Software Explorer, you're right there. Microsoft recommends you download Autoruns, which is an outstanding program. I've used it for years. However, and this is just a guess on my part, I have a feeling Microsoft may ship the final product with Autoruns included. Is this a good idea?. Yes, for the advanced user, but for the newbie, there's a high risk of hosing the system if they make the wrong choices.
  • Regarding Windows Meeting Space, I agree, that's another good point. However (Sorry, I know this However thing is getting old:rolleyes:) they are encouraging us to download the Live Essentials Pack which includes Messenger, Mail, Photo Gallery, Toolbar, Writer, Family Safety, Silverlight, and unchecked by default is Movie Maker Beta. I realize you can uncheck any option you like, but it's like pushing all Microsoft apps into our computer, such as like they did when they bundled IE and tied it into the operating system so tightly, you couldn't remove it. Now of course everyone nowadays needs a web browser, but on the poll page for browser of choice IE falls well below Firefox as the pick for most popular browser.
  • Inkball?. I'm assuming you referring to the game. Whow's to say they are not going to bring back the games. They are not working, (same as Windows Mail) but are present on Windows 7. Go to Start > Run and type optionalfeatures.exe and I think you'll be quite surprised.
  • Classic Start...I accept that fact as stated above.
The smaller details I'm not even going to comment on because they are definitely small details.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what i read on Microsoft's Windows 7 beta forums it's not yet decided if classic menu will be included in future beta version and final version or not. So there is still hope.

Last edited:
For those still complaining about the lack of a Classic start menu lemme ask you this. If speed and simplicity are so important to you, and you refuse to change, why not just stick with Xp. Its obviously gonna be faster than any new OS coming out and has your silly classic menu.

Some of us however, want new features like the new start menu and we want all the old outdated/useless features gone so they don't take up space.

reghckr only the first half of that post was aimed at you. I thought i had included "To all others". Obviously i didnt and i apologize.

Back to the Windows 3.1 Analogy. When they released Windows 95, they through out most of the UI, code, etc, of Windows 3.1. The interfaces made more sense, and Microsoft forced people to move on. I am not in love with the new Start Menu, but it is definitely an improvement. Things die and new improved things come out. This is the natural cycle. People complain about every new improvement. It's human nature to grasp onto what is comfortable, not necessarily the best. Personally, I like the OS X interface the best. :)

If I wanted a Mac I would have bought a Mac. Gimme back my classic menu anyday! I want substance not fluff!

I agree, give me back the Windows 2000 Professional look with the added security benefits of Windows 7.

You might be interested in this posting on CNET:
What scares me about Windows 7 | The Digital Home - CNET News

Here's a partial quote from that posting regarding Security:
Security
Windows 7 has the same basic security features as Vista, which does make it more secure than most previous iterations of Windows, and I'm definitely heartened by the operating system's \"Action Center,\" which tries to make it easier for users to secure their computers. But security is still a major issue with the OS.
According to a report last year, the security company PC Tools found 639 unique threats over the first six months of 2008 for every 1,000 machines running Vista. That tally is actually better than XP, which was plagued with 1,021 issues. Ironically, Windows 2000 was safest, suffering 586 threats that penetrated the operating system's defenses.

I used to work for PCTools and can assure you they are a highly regarded company and has grown phenomenally from the day they started. They are the largest software development corporation in Australia. Their software is sold in all major computer and office stores such as Best Buy, Circuit Ci (forget that one), Office Max, even Walmart and Target.

And, as with any OS, how long do you think it will take hackers (ethical or harmful) to find holes in Windows 7? Do I see Windows 7 security updates and Hotfix patches for this OS...definately.

For those of you who prefer the Classic Start menu, would you please help me out at this poll, where I am the only member that has voted for the Classic menu:
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/1876-classic-vs-new-start-menu.html

Before anyone starts lambasting me for this post, as the senior members say....Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Classsic Start Menu............

Hey Windows 7 Users I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Downloaded From MSDN......

About Classic Start Menu You can't expect every thing at your disposable, microsoft has stopped Spoon Feeding ha ha ha...
So if you want any thing you have to make it your self web surfing & information about classic start menu is helpless as i tried 4 days then i decided to use my Logic and i deployed the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit ISO image using n-Lite during deploying ii had Vista Ultimate 64 Bit....
In n-Lite you will come to know all hidden keys for enabling and disabling feature of Windows....
that will help you to make your own custome selection in class of windows appearance;windows behaviour;windows settings;windows default softwares....
I did so and selected classic menu and reconstructed the ISO and burned on DVD using MagicISOMaker and it worked for me.....
now i have got Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with quick launch,classic start menu, efficient power saver profile...

Excellent,:D

I know of nlite, but never used it.

I don't know how it pulled off the Classic shell feature as that takes one registry hack and the Classic Shell information is embedded in the shell32.dll file.

If nlite can modify that, that's very impressive.

Could you check the size of the shell32.dll file for me?

Is it 11.5 MB (12,153,856 bytes) and is the version 6.1.700.0?

Well to jump in on this topic I should point out that I have a great number of clients over the age of 65 including a wonderful little old lady who used to shoot down enemy aircraft in England during WWII. A number of them use Vista but prefer the classic menu style because it is what they are used to and DO NOT like things to change simply because they are having a difficult enough time remembering what they have already managed to learn.

As technically savy people we sometimes forget that although we love cutting edge technology there is still a part of our population that is not so comfortable with change that deserve better then to be left behind or left out in our ever demanding need for change.

I have often told these people that there is always more then one way of doing things in Windows and none of them are the absolutely correct way of doing it. You do it the way you can remember to do it. Taking away those options does not take into consideration those of use who will be very uncomfortable with the change.

Personally I like the new menu but that little old lady from England freaks when a desk top icon is not where it is suppose to be.

Personally, I love the classic menu, it is what I use and I love it very much

xpaws.png

Compared to this oversized piece of real estate.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Personally, I love the classic menu, it is what I use and I love it very much

Compared to this oversized piece of real estate.
Those are two completely different resolutions. Anything looks big at the low res of that vista pic. On a decent res it doesn't take up much space at all.

okay i have a few things to say about the argument..
i'm sure a lot of people complained about this so their is a chance and optional classic star menu will be included in final relese
*or optional download from microsoft *or update
second of all it dosent matter arguing if you have to have you precious star menu so badly use windows xp.. no one is forcing you to use windows 7..
thats it

Back