Windows 7 Clean install to Win7, no drivers found?

Cyberin

I've been searching for an our or so all over trying to find something that helps me with this problem, but nothing seems to be working.

I have an HP dv6780se Pavillion Laptop.

I put a new hard drive in it to restore and the restore disks are working correctly. It will install windows vista, but then when it starts installing all the bloatware the computer restarts and says OS not found.

So, I figured I'd install windows 7 since I was planning on doing it anyway.

My problem now is that I'm wondering since restore disks only install vista and don't finish the other hp stuff that the drivers aren't getting installed for vista...hence when I try and do a clean install of Win7 it says no drivers found.

Any idea what I can do to get my install going?

Can't understand what you mean.

7 has plenty of drivers included and can be installed to an HD where no o/s has been before.

At what point do you get that error message?

I did end up getting it installed...now though I'm trying to figure out why the comp is asking me whether i wanted Vista, or Win7 on bootup...i think i manged to dual boot it somehow...gotta figure out what to do to get vista off there totally.

That should be easy - post a screenshot of Disk Management and we can advise.

OK .

Use Partition Wizard boot disc.

EITHER :

Delete D .

Copy C into the unallocated space that was D.

Mark the newly copied partition Active.

Run startup repair from the 7 dvd 3 times

OR - probably better :

Delete D

Incorporate Unallocated space that was D into C.

Mark C Active

Run startup repair 3 times.

That keeps the C drive letter assigned easily.

Last edited:
so i don't have to have 2 partitions?

(I'd like to create a restore partition if possible)

so i don't have to have 2 partitions?

(I'd like to create a restore partition if possible)

No you don't if you don't want to.

Do you have any personal files remaining on the drive or is it just Vista on one and W7 on the other? That's what it looks like from the picture. If you do not need to keep anything then proceed!

As suggested, go get the Partition Wizard Bootable CD. Boot from that and delete C. Currently you have two Primary partitions, while not 'bad' as such, isn't how it should be. Then simply format D as NTFS. Now boot up the W7 disc and install it to the 32GB partition available which will now take what was D and make it C, like it normally is.

Once that completes you can install the normal Partition Wizard or EASEUS (both free) and create a new extended partition in the free space that was once C. When you make the partition you could leave 10-20GB free at the end as a restore partition if you like and create a further partition for that purpose, up to you!

I'd like to keep the C as it is if that's possible. I've already start installing programs and such on it.

Would it be better to do as you say and totally start over again, or will it hurt to have the OS on the larger Partition?

It will be easier for you to do this - no need to reinstall ( use the Partition Wizard boot disc )

Delete D

Mark C Active

Run startup repair 3 times.

Then if you want another partition (s) - shrink C from the right - You can use Disk Management for that, if you like.

LOL - you could have done it several times over by now.

Last edited:
LOL - you could have done it several times over by now.

I know, I've just never done anything with partitions so I wanted to make sure before I screwed something up :D

I'll to what you stated in that last post, thanks for all the help everyone!

You will be fine - it is pretty straightforward.

Boot PW cd.

Rt click D select Delete - Apply.

Rt click C select Move/Resize. - in the new window drag the left edge of C all the way to the Left, OK, Apply.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

That will take a few minutes - it moves all the data over to the left.

Rt click C and mark Active.

Partitioning finished.

Run startup repair from 7 dvd 3 times.

Done.

If you later wish to create another partition to store your backup image on - shrink C from the RIGHT . Should be quick and easy if it is free space. Create another partition out of that Unallocated space.

Last edited:
When I boot it up and start the partition wizard, a warning pops up that says "DO NOT take the following operations, for these operations will cause your system to be unbootable. 1. Moving/resizing system partition of Windows Vista/Windows 2008/Windows 7."

Will deleting the D partition with the disk, and then using the program while windows is open to move the C partition to the left work as well?

Last edited:
hmm...well, I deleted the D partition, and now it won't boot at all...says Operating System not found again :(

hmm...well, I deleted the D partition, and now it won't boot at all...says Operating System not found again :(

Entirely up to you but that's why I suggested just starting from scratch. You were always going to run into problems with the way your drive was partitioned and where W7 had been installed to. The effort you will waste on moving an entire OS and repairing the boot files isn't worth it. Just go delete both partitions, format the drive, create a 30/40 gig primary partition and then run the W7 install. That way all the necessary boot files and OS will be on C and then once in W7 post-install you will be able to create an extended partition into the remaining space.

Good luck!

When I boot it up and start the partition wizard, a warning pops up that says "DO NOT take the following operations, for these operations will cause your system to be unbootable. 1. Moving/resizing system partition of Windows Vista/Windows 2008/Windows 7."

Will deleting the D partition with the disk, and then using the program while windows is open to move the C partition to the left work as well?

Yes, that is normal .

That is why you need to mark C Active and run startup repair 3 times.

I didn't just post that bit for the sake of extra typing. LOL

The instructions I posted earlier are complete and correct.

The D partition contained the boot files, bootmgr and the Boot folder containing bcd - deleting D obviously deletes those. Also, any changes to the partition offset mean you need to make corresponding changes to the bcd entries in order to boot. Startup repair will do that, as well as creating bootmgr, and the boot folder containing bcd on the partition you marked Active.

In case you missed it, here they are again:

It will be easier for you to do this - no need to reinstall ( use the Partition Wizard boot disc )

Delete D

Mark C Active

Then if you want another partition (s) - shrink C from the right - You can use Disk Management for that, if you like.

Last edited:
Just go into MSCONFIG Type MSCONFIG in run then delete the os you do not want. under the boot tab or select the os you want as default boot

Yes, that is normal .

That is why you need to mark C Active and run startup repair 3 times.

I didn't just post that bit for the sake of extra typing. LOL

The instructions I posted earlier are complete and correct.

The D partition contained the boot files, bootmgr and the Boot folder containing bcd - deleting D obviously deletes those. Also, any changes to the partition offset mean you need to make corresponding changes to the bcd entries in order to boot. Startup repair will do that, as well as creating bootmgr, and the boot folder containing bcd on the partition you marked Active.

In case you missed it, here they are again:

Delete D

Mark C Active

Alrighty, getting ready to run the startup repair, but it's telling me I need the driver for the hard drive. I'm guessing I need to find the drivers for my motherboard and put them on a usb to use since I don't actually have a motherboard disk?

anyone know where I can find the drivers for my Quanta 30D2 v79.26? I've looked all over and can't seem to find a driver for it.

I also used DriverMax and got all the drivers off my wifes computer, none of those seem to work (none say motherboard either)...i'm guessing that's because they are all the Vista 32bit drivers.

Can't get into the restore process because it says I need the driver before I can continue

Back
Top Bottom