Windows 7 Coloured Menu Bar in Start Menu

caleula

Hi,

I have a 2nd Windows 7 Ultimate computer I'm building for my daughter.

Problem is a coloured menu bar in the Start Menu which I can't get rid of.

The pic is attached.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

You're saying your Start Menu/Program List is stuck & highlighted on Norton, right. Lemme guess... this is (right) after installing Norton or looking @ it or doing something/anything w/ it, to it OR it doing someting all by itself (Norton is good @ that) AND you're also saying hitting the Back button (in your screenshot) does nothing either? If you reboot does it come back like this?

If you get rid of Norton does it happen anymore?

Pls excuse more questions than answers; 1 begets the other, lol.

Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away"

I should have mentioned that it also happened with Quicktime Player & Picture Viewer.

The rest is okay. Reboot doesn't fix it either.

doesn't this happen when you first install a program?!!! it should go away if you clicked it once!!!

This is the default behavior when you install a new program as ref said. There used to or may still be a way to disable this feature from the taskbar/start menu properties but I don't see it anymore off-hand. It is possible this is now just a permanent feature; I have not had time to go over this area of the OS extensively since they changed it in Windows 7. Should be nothing to worry about in the long-term.

This is the default behavior when you install a new program as ref said. There used to or may still be a way to disable this feature from the taskbar/start menu properties but I don't see it anymore off-hand. It is possible this is now just a permanent feature; I have not had time to go over this area of the OS extensively since they changed it in Windows 7. Should be nothing to worry about in the long-term.

It also happens for "Windows Help & Support" which is part of Windows. However, my computer has some of the same programs but no problems. Don't know about it being default behaviour - it's downright annoying.

Seem to remember being able to edit the menu colour bar in previous versions of Windows. Anybody have any idea where it is located in Regedit? I have hacked Regedit for years & never had any problems. Just a matter, in this case, of knowing where to hack it I would assume. :mad:

It appears off-hand that it is indicating a new program was installed. This was a feature introduced quite awhile ago. Once you actually run the program it should no longer highlight the newly installed program.

If this is only appearing when you "mouse over" the item, then you can just go into Display properties and change your whole theme.

Highlighted programs on start menu

The Highlighting of newly installed programs on your start menu is a default attribute of Windows OS's since XP. The option can be turned off if the user likes. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, this is accomplished by:

Right click the taskbar> Properties> Select the Start Menu Tab in the dialog box and click on <Customize> scroll down and uncheck the box labled "Highlight newly installed programs". Click OK and then apply. This should take care of your issues.

The Highlighting of newly installed programs on your start menu is a default attribute of Windows OS's since XP. The option can be turned off if the user likes. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, this is accomplished by:

Right click the taskbar> Properties> Select the Start Menu Tab in the dialog box and click on <Customize> scroll down and uncheck the box labled "Highlight newly installed programs". Click OK and then apply. This should take care of your issues.
Yep, this works. It's one of the first tweaks I used on W7.

Thanks so much mikekellam. Don't know why I missed that one or was it normally off by default before? I've been using Windows since the v2.0 days in a support role & this is the first time I've struck the problem. Maybe I won't have to go back to openSUSE v11.1 in such a hurry. :cool:

Back