Windows 10 Compabible network cards

zebbynpengi

I tried to install windows 10 preview all went well until I got to my network adapter. I use a lynksys AE3000 to connect to the internet but it is not compatible. What can I buy that would work.

Since I don't have that adapter, not sure why it will not work correctly, but it should.

Could you describe the exact problem or configuration you are seeing? What type of router are you using with that adapter? For instance, are you getting an X or a yellow triangle on the adapter icon in the tray?

Which build version?

I do not use a router. I run my high speed from my cel phone so i use a USB adapter. When I try to install the USB adapter it keeps telling me that the windows needs upgrading to windows XP service pack 3. Windows 10 will not let me install the drivers. I get a red X

According to this page http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...mbPath=&TempOsid=Windows+10+Technical+Preview
It is compatible with the caveat "Free Download Required".
It would seem that there are no participating votes to suggest one way or the other.
AND
It would seem that the latest drivers here http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/adapters/AE3000 are from March 2012 and for Windows 7.
You might try manually installing that by downloading and unzipping the driver package and then
Open the Device Manager.
  1. Right click the device you wish to change the drivers for. You can select Properties > Driver > Driver Details to check you have the right device.
  2. Choose Update Driver Software.
  3. Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software.
  4. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  5. Select Have disk...
  6. Select Browse..
  7. Navigate to the extracted folder (amd64 for a 64 bit system or x86 for a 32 bit system) and double click on the .inf file
  8. Hit OK, then Next and the driver(s) will then begin to install.

What Trouble suggests would be the best way to update the driver, if it works. Sometimes the .inf file will install the drivers when the device is not found by Windows 10.

You might also check the Device Manager using the "View Hidden Devices" option. There may be some greyed out versions of your adapter you could uninstall and start over.

Another avenue is to use Device Manager to update the driver and tell it to look on your computer and let you pick which driver would be best. I notice in the Network Adapter listing, there are Linksys and Cisco sections. The Linksys has several types of devices and the Cisco has the AE6000. Even if you can't get a driver to load, you may see some device listed with drivers, like the AE6000 you could purchase in place of the AE3000.

I have a Belkin model F9L1101 which did have Windows 8 drivers on the website and seems to be functioning normally. If you decide to purchase another adapter, you might go to their support site and see if Windows 8 drivers are available.

Edit: I forgot to mention you might try using the compatibility mode for the driver install. Perhaps if it looks like Windows 7 it will allow an install.

Last edited:
Back