Windows 7 Computer freezes when playing World of Warcraft in Windows 7

larz61

Ive had this issue for months now. I don't know what to do. I dual boot Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit. When i play World of Warcraft on Windows 7, after awhile the whole computer freezes, and I have to reboot. It has done this on Vista, but it has been a very long time since it has. When this happens i usually reboot into Vista and don't have to worry about it. Ive done virus, defender scans, disk defrags, etc.

My specs are

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4000MB RAM DDR2 1066

Hard Drive: 500 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T200HD /TV Monitor widescreen LCD
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers/Headphones: Altec Lansing speekers
Keyboard:
Mouse:
Mouse Surface: Flat non-reflective wooden Desk
Operating System:

Motherboard: ASUS P5KC 1333 MHZ C2D Socket 775
Computer Case: Antec 900

Today i updated wow to version 3.2.2 and it does not want yto start up anymore (no problems yesterday (i played couple of hours). The game starts and i get the character selection screen. After i select one it starts loading the world, and freezes completely at the end. Nothing works (ecept power button). Funny.

I am running win 7 64 bit btw.

I had this same problem and was able to "bandaid" the issue a bit it would seem. I have always run WoW in windowed mode. I just liked the convenience of being able to see what is still going on outside of the game. The computer was randomly locking up on me 2-3 times a day. VERY irritating. I am running a ATI 4870 btw. At the advice of another post on here, I tried turning off the gadgets on the desktop completely, same thing. Then I installed NFS:Shift and was able to play it for hours on end without a problem. Turns out, something with W7/DX10/D3D/ATI (who knows?) does not play nice when you are running WoW in windowed mode. I will still get anoccasional lockup but it is MUCH less frequent now. Don't know if it will help or not, just soemthing to think about! :D

I do not know what actually caused the problem when v 3.2.2 came around, but i remembered the Compatibilty option later on. Now i am running WOW with compatibility on Windows Vista, and all runs fine.

I wanted to let everyone know, that WoW is finally running just fine. I think Microsoft finally updated win 7 to fix this problem.
It runs like a champ. hasn't crashed on me in about a week. Updated the video driver, and some other small things. (updating the vid driver might have actually been what fixed it)

:eek:

Back