Windows 7 Computer freezes when playing World of Warcraft in Windows 7

larz61

Ive had this issue for months now. I don't know what to do. I dual boot Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit. When i play World of Warcraft on Windows 7, after awhile the whole computer freezes, and I have to reboot. It has done this on Vista, but it has been a very long time since it has. When this happens i usually reboot into Vista and don't have to worry about it. Ive done virus, defender scans, disk defrags, etc.

My specs are

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4000MB RAM DDR2 1066

Hard Drive: 500 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T200HD /TV Monitor widescreen LCD
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers/Headphones: Altec Lansing speekers
Keyboard:
Mouse:
Mouse Surface: Flat non-reflective wooden Desk
Operating System:

Motherboard: ASUS P5KC 1333 MHZ C2D Socket 775
Computer Case: Antec 900

Today i updated wow to version 3.2.2 and it does not want yto start up anymore (no problems yesterday (i played couple of hours). The game starts and i get the character selection screen. After i select one it starts loading the world, and freezes completely at the end. Nothing works (ecept power button). Funny.

I am running win 7 64 bit btw.

I had this same problem and was able to "bandaid" the issue a bit it would seem. I have always run WoW in windowed mode. I just liked the convenience of being able to see what is still going on outside of the game. The computer was randomly locking up on me 2-3 times a day. VERY irritating. I am running a ATI 4870 btw. At the advice of another post on here, I tried turning off the gadgets on the desktop completely, same thing. Then I installed NFS:Shift and was able to play it for hours on end without a problem. Turns out, something with W7/DX10/D3D/ATI (who knows?) does not play nice when you are running WoW in windowed mode. I will still get anoccasional lockup but it is MUCH less frequent now. Don't know if it will help or not, just soemthing to think about! :D

I do not know what actually caused the problem when v 3.2.2 came around, but i remembered the Compatibilty option later on. Now i am running WOW with compatibility on Windows Vista, and all runs fine.

Hmmm, also an interesting idea, may have to try this and see how that works. Thanks for the heads up!

I wanted to let everyone know, that WoW is finally running just fine. I think Microsoft finally updated win 7 to fix this problem.
It runs like a champ. hasn't crashed on me in about a week. Updated the video driver, and some other small things. (updating the vid driver might have actually been what fixed it)

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom