Windows 7 Computer stopped working

Mav71

Hello there! This is the first time I find myself asking for help on an internet forum so I really don't know what to do any more. The computer was working until yesterday, ocasionally reseting (it had been doing that for a while, but it was once every two or three weeks) so I ran a virus scan, cleaned up my disk by uninstalling programs that I was not using and random files that I'd previously downloaded from the internet, but none of them were important for the system to function. After that I ran defrag and everything was working fine, the computer was obviously faster and I turned it off before going to bed.

This morning however, it started reseting and I had two BSOD's in less than five minutes, and after the last one the computer won't work any more. It turns on but there's nothing on the screen, the fans work and there's no "beep" (it always does that right after I turn it on). Another thing I noticed is that the hdd (red light) keeps flashing in a weird way (it's not random as usual, it flashes with regular intervals). After it reset the first time this morning I tried to get more information to post somewhere but I got blue screens before I could do anything. I haven't installed anything in the past few days that would cause that and it doesn't seem to be a software issue so I hope someone here can help me find out what's going on. I'll post here my system specs:

PSU Pixo PG-650 (650W)
Asus P5Q Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz
6GB RAM DDR2 800Mhz Corsair
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
Windows 7 64bit

Thanks for your attention.

Hi and Welcome to W7F!

As if now can you get into Windows. If so go to C:\Windows\Minidump and upload the files here. If not then remove RAM from the slot and turn on your PC and see hear a beep sound. If so try put the RAM on different DIMM slots and see if that works.

Remove the CMOS battery and turn on your PC for 3 mins then turn it off and put the battery back in and see if the System.

Report us back with the results.

Thanks for the reply Jack!

I tried removing three of the four RAM modules and it turned on briefly, then off again before anything could show up in the screen and after that it turned on, I heard the beep and it started loading windows but froze at that point, before shutting down by itself. Tried with other RAM modules and it's the same, no changes except for the fact that now I can hear the beep, but it turns on/off/on every time. I'm using a different computer right now and unfortunately it's quite old so I can't use it to test parts of the other one and I can't get the minidump either, as I can't load windows on my computer. I do have a different Motherboard though.

Also, I took everything apart, cleaned it and put it back together but that didn't change anything at all.

EDIT: after many attempts, I managed to get it working with three RAM modules, it turned on normally without reseting on its own, I'll see for how long it stays like that. I went into minidump but the folder is empty so I'm not sure where I can get the information you need.

Last edited:
Hi Mav,
if your minidumps folder is empty and you've seen bsod's then perhaps your system isn't configured to produce them?
If press your windows key along with the 'Break' (sometimes this on the same key as 'pause') key this will open the system properties control panel. Open 'Advanced System properties (found on the left) and then Advanced. Near the bottom under 'Start up and recovery' click settings.
Under the heading of 'System Failure' you'll see a drop down menu please change this to
'Small memory dump (256kb)'.
Please post as soon as you have a dump file and the team will read it for you.. )

Hello Kemical.

I've changed it now, it was set to Kernel memory dump, thanks for the instructions. I did what Jack suggested, tried different DIMM slots until I managed to get on Windows, then I updated my chipset driver and I haven't had any problems since then. After that I placed all the RAM modules back in to try to see if one of them had a problem or if it was a slot but everything worked fine. I haven't had much time to test it, but so far I haven't had any problems.

Back