Windows 7 Configuring WiFi with Internet on Windows 7 Ultimate

Shubho

Hi,

I have -

• A Laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate
  • A Linksys Wireless Router with ports which are all Ethernet ports (i.e. no USB ports).
  • A Tata Photon Plus (which is basically a Wireless USB Modem)

I have been trying to setup a wireless network to have my handheld devices connect to the internet.

I have -

• Connected the Ethernet port of my laptop to one of the Ethernet Ports of my Wireless Router.
  • I have connected my Wireless USB Modem to my laptop (as my Router does not have a USM port).

My Questions

• While I have been able to setup the Wireless Network, the Network shows "No Internet Access". Can someone help me with how to bring in Internet to the Wireless Network? I am sorry but I don't have enough networking acumen which would enable me to do this without assistance. A step-by-step instruction would be great.

• If I connect the USB Modem to the Router using an Ethernet to USB adaptor would the router be able to sense the USB Modem and get the job done for me?

Thanks,
Shubho

Hi,

I have -

• A Linksys Wireless Router with ports which are all Ethernet ports (i.e. no USB ports. Even the port marked "Internet" needs an Ethernet cable).

I have been trying to setup a wireless network to have my handheld devices connect to the internet.

I have -

• Connected the Ethernet port of my laptop to one of the Ethernet Ports of my Wireless Router.
  • I have connected my Wireless USB Modem to my laptop (as my Router does not have a USB port).

My Questions

• While I have been able to setup the Wireless Network, the Network shows "No Internet Access". Can someone help me with how to bring in Internet to the Wireless Network? I am sorry but I don't have enough networking acumen which would enable me to do this without assistance. A step-by-step instruction would be great.
  • If I connect the USB Modem to the Router using an Ethernet to USB adaptor would the router be able to sense the USB Modem and get the job done for me?

Thanks,
Shubho

What type of network do you want to set up? Do you want to set up a node that your wireless devices can connect to (Easy!) or do you want to set up a secure network where your devices can talk to each other and which will prevent outsiders from accessing your network (HARD!) To set up an internet node, goto

Link Removed - Invalid URL

and enter your router model and follow their directiions
To the best of my knowledge, as long as an ethernet cable is attached to your laptop, it should show wireless access disabled. I do not understand why you would also connect a wireless modem to your laptop. Isn't your laptop wifi enabled?

Hi,

I have -

• A Linksys Wireless Router with ports which are all Ethernet ports (i.e. no USB ports. Even the port marked "Internet" needs an Ethernet cable).

I have -

• I have connected my Wireless USB Modem to my laptop (as my Router does not have a USB port).

My Questions

Thanks,
Shubho

Have another look at the back. The first on the right, seen from the back, is normally, on most routers, the connection to your ISP modem. Any of the others, you should connect to your ethernet outlet from your computer. That is the only way you are going to get a result. Windows 7 will, at that stage, probably complete the procedure without your input, but otherwise just reboot.

If I understand your hardware description correctly I would expect that you need a wired ethernet connection between your router and the modem then connect your laptopn and handheld device wirelessly to the router.

Two threads here Pat, but the USB modem is just that, his broadband connection. I was thinking ICS or using an Ethernet adapter in the laptop to connect to the WAN port on the router..just not sure how..

I'm lost (hate to admit that) but, if he has a wireless modem, tell me again why the addition router is being used or necessary? Read the entry 3 times, still no seeing the need for both pieces of gear... sorry, bit atypical for me :confused_smile::red_smile: I only ask cus I've had experience w/ a gateway (modem-router combos) having 'issues' which, were eliminated when a switch or hub was used instead of a router (being used as such). It was a mystery til I took the router out of the equation... prior were blaming the IP, the computers & nothing made sense & connectivity was a weird mess...til there were no longer 2 routers involved.; the modem IS a router, in this case. Run that gateway to a switch not, another router.

Drew

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps I could have been a bit more elaborate.

The reason why I need the Router is because I have an External Hard Drive which only has Ethernet port. Hence to use that I need to connect that to the Router.

@grichardt - I tried the link you provided (and thanks for that) but not of much help.

@Saltgrass - Do you think if I go for an Ethernet to USB Adaptor and connect my USB Modem (i.e. the one which puts me on the internet)too the "Internet" port of the Router will help? Would I still be able to CONNECT the USB Modem from my laptop that way? The USM Modem has a GUI on which I need to press "Connect".

Is there any other way like ICS on Windows 7 to solve my problem? I tired "Sharing" the Internet Connection of that of the USB Modem but it does not help.

I am a little lost in your setup description. I have a very similar setup, however. I have enclosed a picture of how it looks. (The artistry leaves a little for critic, I'm afraid!)

Attachments

• Network.png
    Network.png
    208.7 KB · Views: 572
Last edited:
@davehc - Thanks. The diagram was helpful. However my network (given the resources I have at my disposal) is a bit different. Please see the enclosed picture.

Network.pngCould you please help me with -

1. If my network setting will enable me to setup the WiFi with Internet on Windows 7 ?
2. If yes, then what are the configurations required?

Does the modem broadcast? (As well as hardwires)

Will the non-wireless printer take a USB printer cable?

Yes.

Hard wire to the internet; > the router's page 192.168.?.? & there configure the wireless connectivity.

Last edited:
You show a wire from the modem to the laptop. I presume this is for our clarification? The modem is plugged into the laptop?
How are you accessing the ISP (Your network provider)?
Your router is your main connection to the provider. Have another read of my first post, and the diagram. Your USB modem sits in the Laptop and is only there to enable you to wireless connect to the router. I would suggest you remove the Router to laptop ethernet cable from the laptop and reconnect it to whatever provider input you have. This should be an instrument on your tel line , or similar.

@Davehc - I have uploaded my "Exact" physical connections this time. Please have a look. Can you guide me accordingly?

My questions are -

1. Is the setup perfect? If not please let me know what needs change.
2. Could you please let me know what "configuration" in terms of IP Addresses that I might need to make?

Thanks,
Shubho

Aupdated.png

Again, I will suggest using Internet Connection Sharing, or possibly Bridging. I cannot test since I do not have the setup.

The Tata modem is the broadband connection.....The provider is a wireless provider...

I am not really an expert on this, but you are trying to share a network connection. If you look in the Help and Support Section and search for Internet Connection Sharing you will see several links you can check out.

Basically it mentions if you have two connections, you will have some options for Sharing or Bridging. I am not sure what the bridging does exactly, but the Sharing option is probably the way you want to go. I cannot set it up and do not have the prior experience to give you good guidance, but if you run into problems setting it up, post back with where the problems occur.

But it seems you have a broadband connection with a WAN IP address, probably gotten from the ISP. You also have a network connection with a local IP address from the router. I would think you can right click the Broadband connection and go to properties - Sharing tab and set up ICS there.

If this is your goal, then you may perhaps be better off (if your laptop has a wireless adapter) using a third party product like Connectify to turn your laptop into a hotspot for your other wireless nodes and leave the wireless router out of the equation unless otherwise needed.
I don't believe you can successfully bridge/tether your USB wireless 3g/4g dongle but Connectify may be able to do this for you. Unfortunately the Lite (free) version states that it has limited ability in doing this and I'm not sure that it is worth the money $40.00 for the full Pro version for you to do this with.
There are a couple other convoluted methods described here [Solved] 3g data card to wireless router; possible? - Network-General-Discussions - General-Networking and here [SOLVED] Need help bridging 3G dongle internet to wireless router ? [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums describing sharing your ethernet connection and using that on the WAN port of your router, which may be worth exploring. Kinda wish I had a 3g wireless usb dongle so I could try it.
Good luck
Randy

Back
Top Bottom