Windows 7 Could use some help with these issues and a trojan....

binni

I use Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit OS on a Lenovo G530 (so I'm having enough issues with my screen brightness, too).

About a week ago my computer's anti-virus security program, Avast, started detecting possible infections but when I went to take care of them, the program wouldn't do anything to them. So I downloaded the Norton Security Suite through Comcast. It fixed many of the problems but now I face several newer, and worse ones. Please keep in mind that I am not a computer wiz and I have not a dime to pay for 'professional help'. (If I did, I wouldn't be here asking, now would I?) Please forgive me if I haven't provided enough information, or if I'm even posting this in the right place.

1.) I attempted a system restore but I received a message saying, along these lines:

"An unspecified error occured during system restore.
[...] Failed to extract:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\fgylhhxr.sys
Error code: 0x8007001f"

2.) Upon starting my computer, I receive this message:

"The specified module could not be found.
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\osezagovag.dll"

3.) My Norton detected the following Trojan and says I must manually remove it. I can't touch this file or do anything to it, even after changing permissions:

"Backdoor.Tidserv!inf
c:\Windows\System32\drivers\afd.sys"

And to top it off, I cannot connect to the internet. Neither wirelessly nor through an ethernet. Like I said--I'm no computer wizard, I don't know much fancy computer-talk, and I'm poor. So any help I could be granted in plain, simple English would be amazing.... :(

Thank you very much...!

First I would get rid of both Avast and Norton as soon as possible. Uninstall both of them.

Download Microsoft Security Essentials and run it, it's free and does a very good job of eliminating trojans, malware, viruses, etc.

Also send a PM to TorrentG, he's pretty good at this stuff and can steer you in a better direction if I'm a little off-base.

There is also a Norton uninstaller program

Here's a link to a good article and such on how to do it.

Uninstall Norton Antivirus 2010 - How To Uninstall Norton Antivirus 2010

~Nibs

Definitely yes to the above in Nibiru's post and everything in it about Avast, Norton and MSE.

Install Malwarebytes. Run it. Update its definitions. Then do a scan in safe mode with it. Let it remove everything it finds. If you need further help, no problem. Please tell us.

Back