Windows 7 Couldn't install another win 7

MCalgar

Hi friends!

I am new in this forum, I've reading for a while but I couldn't find a soluction, so I've decided to ask you directly.

I've been trying to install two win 7 64 bits in my new computer, in order to use one partition for general use, as internet, webs and so on, an another partition only for music and mixing, as I mix music.

I've created a new partition to do that (from the beginning I had two, and I reduced the space of one to install there the second win 7).

the problem appears when I am running the sin 7 cd to install it, when I arrive to the screen to choose the partition, a message appears saying that "the order of the partition is not the recommended to install windows", and it sends me to the microsoft's web and ask me to search for GPT.

As I understand, the problem might be with the partition style, but I'm not sure at all. After all, it allows me to follow with the installation, so I'm totally lost and don't understand anything.

All your help will be well received. Thanks for all and merry christmas!

Not sure about what you are trying to do, but normally Microsoft gives a license for one installation only. It's most probable that the second installation you try recognizes the first one. like any installation will recognize any installation on any disk on the computer, and thus it will give a message, one that may not be all that clear in meaning, but still one that will stop the installation.

You don't, actually, need to make another installation. I have one Windows 7 installed, I have three disks running, and six partitions.

Best of luck, Happy New Year.

I concur with Titanic, in order to install a second copy of 7, you will need a second license - a second product key.

My question is why two copies of 7?

hi, thanks for the answers.

2 installations because when working with mixing softwares and os on you need that your computer runs very well, and when you use it to download things, surfing on th einternet and so on, at the end the computer runs not so properly, and it's common among people that are djs to do two partition in the computer and run 2 different SO, one specially for mixing and the other for commong things.

By the way, I'm sure I can install windows, but I don't really understand this message, the one saying about the order of the partitions, I guess is about the partition win 7 creates or something related to the boot of the cpu

Could you attach a picture of your disk management windows so we can see your partitions? Use the snipping tool to take the picture and attach using the paperclip on the advanced replies.

I have gotten such a message when setting up Windows 8 if I did not put the Recovery Partition before the MSR partition. Windows 7 does not have those partitions, but if you have a UEFI install, it does have an EFI and MSR partition.

Could you attach a picture of your disk management windows so we can see your partitions? Use the snipping tool to take the picture and attach using the paperclip on the advanced replies.

I have gotten such a message when setting up Windows 8 if I did not put the Recovery Partition before the MSR partition. Windows 7 does not have those partitions, but if you have a UEFI install, it does have an EFI and MSR partition.

True, I have a UEFI install, I guessed it was the problem, but I don't know how to solve it

recorte.PNG

Last edited:
So when you do the install, you use a custom install and tell it to put the OS on your third partition which shows as D: ?

You are booting the Windows 7 install media in the UEFI mode? If you don't know how, use the Boot Device menu during boot and select a version of the install media with a UEFI designation.

So when you do the install, you use a custom install and tell it to put the OS on your third partition which shows as D: ?

You are booting the Windows 7 install media in the UEFI mode? If you don't know how, use the Boot Device menu during boot and select a version of the install media with a UEFI designation.

Actually I'm trying to install it in the E partition, that when I'm trying to install win 7 is showed as the 5th partition.

Reagrding to the UEFI mode, when I put the boot order, I choose de UEFI mode, I can choose between only cd, and cd with UEFI before it in the name, so I choose this one

Since the MSR partition is hidden in the Disk Management picture, the 5th partitions sounds right and should work if you had done the original install yourself. But you seem to have an OEM install with the System and a Recovery Partition on the end.

Two things come to mind. The first, if you change the number of partitions prior to the recovery partition, your Recovery options may no longer be useable. There have been folks that ended up receiving error messages when they tried certain operations, like making a recovery CD/DVD. You might try testing your current configuration to see if they still work even before you try anything else.

Also, the fact it is an OEM install may also present problems to a second install because the system may have protection on the install. I have no experience with an OEM type install, so can't help with that.

I've always got the impression that the "legality" issue is more about observing the spirit of the eula rather than Microsoft relentlessly pursuing users who wish to configure their installations for optimum operation. Whether installed on two distinct partitions or on two physically separate drives on the one machine it is obvious that the two installs may never be running simultaneously. I have never experienced any problem validating Windows installations in these sort of circumstances either online or by telephone.

Since the MSR partition is hidden in the Disk Management picture, the 5th partitions sounds right and should work if you had done the original install yourself. But you seem to have an OEM install with the System and a Recovery Partition on the end.

Two things come to mind. The first, if you change the number of partitions prior to the recovery partition, your Recovery options may no longer be useable. There have been folks that ended up receiving error messages when they tried certain operations, like making a recovery CD/DVD. You might try testing your current configuration to see if they still work even before you try anything else.

Also, the fact it is an OEM install may also present problems to a second install because the system may have protection on the install. I have no experience with an OEM type install, so can't help with that.

Yeah, the fact is that my computer comes as is showed in the picture, with two partition, one for the SO and the other for data, and the partition for win 7 and the recovery partition.

I was thinking hta tprobably this message refers to the fact that windows installs another partition to boot itself, so maybe I can try to erase the data partition, and the I'll only have the SO partition before/above the the other one I want yo use to install the second SO, could it work?

thanks!

Back