Windows 7 Crashes randomly, then says "Operating System Not Found"

Karter

I have recently purchased a Sony VAIO with Windows 7 pre-installed. Completely randomly (this happens more often now - every 30 mins or so) the computer will freeze up, then brings me to a blue screen telling me that "A problem has been detected and your computer has been shut down to prevent damage". This stays on for only a second then the screen goes black. Five seconds later I get "Operating System Not Found". The only way I can use the computer again is to hold the power button down (which gives the computer a full power off), then turn it back on again.

Please help!

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

Right-click on the Computer icon on the desktop, choose properties, click the Advanced system settings, then the Setting button under Startup and Recovery and uncheck the box to Automatically restart.

Truthfully you just purchased this system, Sony should provide free technical support if you can understand the person on the other end of the line:)

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

Right-click on the Computer icon on the desktop, choose properties, click the Advanced system settings, then the Setting button under Startup and Recovery and uncheck the box to Automatically restart.

Truthfully you just purchased this system, Sony should provide free technical support if you can understand the person on the other end of the line:)

Thanks for the advice but it hasn't worked for me :frown:.

It just keeps the blue screen up until I physically press the power button. I took it to Sony and they reinstalled everything - it still crashed!

Will it be like this until updates are handed out from Microsoft?

I don't think it is a Microsoft problem. Have them replace the unit if you can. If they are selling them with Win 7 pre-installed, they must have tested them. Did someone local do the pre-install and do you know if they did that by upgrading over a Vista install?

If nothing else, have them put a new hard drive in it and install fresh.

run hdtune and check for hdd errors..

then check memtest.. if u already reinstalled windows it seems to be a hardware problem..

I took it to Sony and they reinstalled everything - it still crashed!

Was it working OK after Sony re-installed. You didn't leave the store with it crashing, did you?

Try going to Start > Run, and type msconfig and click the Startup tab. Uncheck a;; entries except for your anti-virus, spyware detector, and personal firewall if you have one.

BTW, what anti-virus package is installed on your computer?

Last edited:
Was it working OK after Sony re-installed. You didn't leave the store with it crashing, did you?

Try going to Start > Run, and type msconfig and click the Startup tab. Uncheck a;; entries except for your anti-virus, spyware detector, and personal firewall if you have one.

BTW, what anti-virus package is installed on your computer?

I have the AVG 'Internet Security' package installed on the computer (it's on this page - not the freeware!).

No, I didn't walk out of the store with it crashing! The guy in there said that it was more than likely a software fault, so he reinstalled the whole operating system (Windows 7). He said that if this didn't work the HDD may be faulty. It was working in the store for the twenty minutes I was in there on it and worked for a further 20 minutes when I got home, then crashed on me - again!

I will go back tomorrow and try have them give me a replacement unit. He said he was happy to do this if the problem persisted.

I don't think it is a Microsoft problem. Have them replace the unit if you can. If they are selling them with Win 7 pre-installed, they must have tested them. Did someone local do the pre-install and do you know if they did that by upgrading over a Vista install?

If nothing else, have them put a new hard drive in it and install fresh.

Bought it at an official Sony store, Windows 7 was apparently pre-installed at the factory. It didn't replace any other operating system already on the computer - it was the first and only OS for it.

I'll give you all an update on what's happening tomorrow - I'm glad in a way that it's most likely the computer that's going wrong, that way it can be replaced and I'll be on the go again ASAP. Good that it's not Windows 7 - if it crashes every 20 minutes for everybody then that would be dismal!

This forum's been surprisingly brilliant, very quick feedback and helpful members - thankyou all so far!

Have taken it to the store today and they said that I must leave it there so that they can run a diagnostics check and leave it 'till it crashes. If it crashes!

Knowing my luck it will probably be fine at the store... Just have to see how it goes!

I know this was a really old thread but I'm just wondering did you finally figure it out at last?
I am having exactly the same "operating system not found" problem for my sony vaio and it crashes randomly (more and more often).
I had the windows 7 home premium already installed when I bought the laptop. It started crashing last week and I've tried the start-up repair, which didn't work. So I partitioned the hard disk and reinstalled windows 7 ultimate last night. It was fine last night, but today it starts crashing again, just like before.
I think it's not the win7 problem, might be some problems with the HD. I've seen tons of threads complaining the sony vaio "operating system not found" error, so apparently there are some flaws in the sony laptops. But anyway... just curious whether you figured out last what the problem was?

Back