Windows 7 critical update freezes startup at desktop screen

datawrangler

further adventures of How long is the wait.

it seems that a critical update is the culprit. Even with or with out Norton online backup, and with or without QB installed, after the critical updates install, the computer freezes on startup. It goes all the way to the last do-do-do sound, and the desktop background (default HP splash) shows up, and then freezes. Mouse still works, and right click menu shows up, but with limited functionality- I can open a new document, but not get to control panel, and nothing else shows up- no taskbar, no icons etc.

QUESTION: how do I tell which update is doing the damage? and How do I tell microsoft their update is fracking with my computer?

I have a new HP AMD Phenom™ II X4 810 quad-core processor; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; LightScribe technology; 750GB hard drive; wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g/n); Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I ran in to a similar problem after the Oct updates. I get occasional freezes at windows splash screen. I haven't had much success figuring it out either.
Joe

not critical update

when I "shut down" the start by hitting the "on" power button, puter hangs at splash screen . BUT, if I start in Safe Mode, and then from safe mode "restart" everything is there and wonderful. A long route to start, but it works.

The solution was simple, really. I had both the vga and hdmi cables plugged into the monitor and back of the computer. It really wanted either one, but not both. With just one plugged in, there was no conflict. I had no idea that one or the other was the way to do it.

Back