Windows 7 deactivating win7 to install on another one

Mariam

I am trying to move the Win 7 from laptop to another how to activate it on the older and install it on the new one.

I don't remember how the activation proceeded on the old one.

Please advise it's urgent, I am prompted to activate win7 within 7 days.

Whenever I've transferred a Windows install to another pc I've just activated as normal. I've sometimes been given a no and asked to contact MS but an assurance that it has been removed from the previous pc and is only being run on the one has been sufficient to get approval.

You shouldn't have any problems, since one is computer no longer has Windows 7 on it. You can't literally "move it" you have to do another install.

You also have to take Windows 7 off of the other computer prior to the new install, or at least ensure that there is no connection to the internet.

If you haven't activated, you can do whatever you want. Moving a hard drive from one computer to another can be done, but with mixed results. If it is the same type of laptop, it should be no problem. If you had activated, you would probably be required to call Microsoft and follow their process.

OEM versions of the OS are different, however...

As Nibiru says.
If you do not remove the previously activated OS then, when the next "genuine copy" update comes along, one of your two computers may become inoperative. If you wish to continue illegally using both, then you would have to switch off the updates.
You can certainly cover this by the telephone method, which makes your second installation legal, but the previous redundant.

Thank you for all replies
I want to uninstall Windows7 from the old laptop and use it with the already installed Linux, then install the win 7 on the new one.
The option suggested by Microsoft support is how to roll back to the old windows versions.

Is your Windows 7 on an installable Windows 7 disk or did it come with the pc on which it is installed and with just a recovery disk rather than a fully installable version. If the former then, as has already been said you should have no problem. If the latter then you cannot basically do it - the Windows system will have been configure to run only on the pc which it came with.

Yes it's an installable disk - full version, but after I have install it, the Linux became non-bootable.
Now I suppose that I should repair Linux, make it bootable then make the machine run under Linux and format the drive where the win7 is installed. Yes?

Yes it's an installable disk - full version, but after I have install it, the Linux became non-bootable.
Now I suppose that I should repair Linux, make it bootable then make the machine run under Linux and format the drive where the win7 is installed. Yes?
Provided that the Win 7 only overwrote the boot sector information and didn't damage or remove any of your Linux installation then a Linux repair should be all that is required. And yes, you won't even need to "uninstall" or remove the Windows installation - as you say, simply reformat the area it used using Linux once you get it back up and running.

Back