Windows 10 Defender icon visible, just wondering about design purpose

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I have noticed on both of my machines, the Defender icon is not visible in the tray.

If you go to the Settings, Updates and Security, Windows Defender, at the bottom there is an option to use Windows Defender. After you select that option, the icon shows up in the tray.

So, why would there be such an option if Defender is not already active? Is the option strictly for turning on that icon?

As I mentioned, just wondering...

I've wondered about that myself.
Personally I kinda like the psychological comfort of seeing it "active" by the indication of a system tray / notification area icon, while I suspect it's active in the background in either case, still it would be nice if the icon appeared consistently every time you started the system.
Is the option strictly for turning on that icon?
My guess is yes, since going here
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe seems to accomplish the same thing as doing the "use Windows Defender" option.

So you believe it just enables the User Interface. If that is the case, they really need to work on some of the descriptions regarding options in their App control dialogs. This one as well as the Network "Find Devices and Content" which seems to be used for switching between Public and Private accounts only and does not seem to fit the description.

If the next build release is actually a "ready to go build", there will be many things to check and comment on.

If the next build release is actually a "ready to go build",
Something we've all been hoping and waiting for.
However, I suspect that their attention now is focused seriously on correcting things that require extreme code editing to repair, things that could not be otherwise fixed with a simple Tuesday update.
I'm pretty sure they want to avoid another Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 fiasco as their only recourse to actually having a relatively bug free system. Windows 10.1 would be quite the embarrassment.

I have to believe if they have announced a release date that they have already fixed many of the problems, we just don't get to see the builds with the fixes implemented. That is why I think the next build will be a build from the main stream and not one of the outliers.

The last two leaked builds were from the WinMain builds. If those are different than the "Impressive" builds, it might indicate the builds are approaching a confluence. I don't really have information about how Microsoft incorporates multiple builds.

Things like I am looking at now concerning "Quick Access" or "Frequent Folders" in Explorer have me baffled. Why are folders showing in that area I have never been to. It appears folders being accessed by some process are also being considered as Frequent. Currently it looks like all the folders on a second drive or partition are showing in the section.

As far as the upgrade process, if they don't find another way to handle the upgraded licenses, it will be a fiasco. I would like to see the Windows 7 and 8 licenses converted to a Windows 10 license so all requirements of needing the prior OS are deleted, after verification of a prior license. If they want folks to move on, lets move on......

I also feel it is essential source files are available to the Users. Many will not be accepting of having to purchase media in addition to the downloaded upgrade but will need them for repair operations.

If they want folks to move on, lets move on......
Well said..... couldn't agree more.
But I think it is going to be a hard sell. Not so much for Windows 8 users but Windows 7.... now that's a different beast.
I suspect that Windows 7, if it is not already, will become the next XP. The Operating System that no one wants to let go of.... (my wife comes to mind).
And I don't think the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is going to do much to sway those folks. Some will give it a whirl for about 10 minutes and then we'll be seeing a lot of "how do I get my Windows 7 back" posts in the forums.

Back