Windows 10 Desktop and file explorer folders have no association

chuckj5

When I click on a folder (not a program shortcut) on the desktop a dialog pops up saying "This file does not have an association to perform this action. Please install a program is already installed, create a association in the Default Programs in the control panel.
In file explorer, New Folder is grayed out and ctrl+shift+N does not create a new folder.
I have run sfc/scannow and DISM. Also Malware, Iobit Malware and Hitman, all to no avail. I restored to an earlier date.
Apparently this is not new, there are many references on other forums, some suggestion fixed the problem, most did not, mine included.

Last edited:
If you can upload a procmon dump, that would help solve your issue.
  • Download procmon here: Process Monitor
  • Launch procmon, in the Filter dialog, where it says Architecture, change it to Process Name is explorer.exe
  • Click Add, Apply then Ok
  • Try and and open a folder
  • Back in procmon click File > Capture Events to stop the capture
  • Click File > Save... and leave the defaults and save the PML file, zip and upload it

Hi,
In the meantime it would be helpful to analyze your hardware environment while we're waiting for you to upload the information Neemo asked for.

Please tell us the Make/Model of your computer. Is it a desktop PC or a laptop? Is it an OEM computer (Dell, Acer, Gateway, HP, Toshiba etc.)? Or is it a self-built rig (one you built yourself)?

Also, did your computer that exhibits this problem come pre-loaded from the factory with W10? Or did you upgrade it from an earlier version of windows, such as Win7/8x?

Hopefully, Neemo can find something in your procmon dump that may present a software solution to fix that problem. You may also consider doing a W10 in-place upgrade to write over all the windows systems files and see if that fixes things. If that doesn't work you may be looking at a Windows reset, after making sure all your personal data is first backed up to external media. Normally, it's a good idea to do hardware testing if you get to this point, and we can provide you some instructions for that. If you don't, and you have a failed piece of hardware in your computer, neither of these will fix your problem either.

Best,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi Guys,
I am having the exact same problem. I do not wish to step on someone's thread. Should I start a new thread?

• Launch procmon, in the Filter dialog, where it says Architecture, change it to Process Name is explorer.exe
  • Click File > Save... and leave the defaults and save the PML file, zip and upload it
Sorry I can not send file, I do not have enough "likes" , can not post a reply with a link I(the log file) , have not been a member long enough and a couple more reasons. Thanks for the offer, I'll try some other forums.
Hi,
In the meantime it would be helpful to analyze your hardware environment while we're waiting for you to upload the information Neemo asked for.

Please tell us the Make/Model of your computer. Is it a desktop PC or a laptop? Is it an OEM computer (Dell, Acer, Gateway, HP, Toshiba etc.)? Or is it a self-built rig (one you built yourself)?

Also, did your computer that exhibits this problem come pre-loaded from the factory with W10? Or did you upgrade it from an earlier version of windows, such as Win7/8x?

Hopefully, Neemo can find something in your procmon dump that may present a software solution to fix that problem. You may also consider doing a W10 in-place upgrade to write over all the windows systems files and see if that fixes things. If that doesn't work you may be looking at a Windows reset, after making sure all your personal data is first backed up to external media. Normally, it's a good idea to do hardware testing if you get to this point, and we can provide you some instructions for that. If you don't, and you have a failed piece of hardware in your computer, neither of these will fix your problem either.

Best,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

My computer is an HP Laptop, Elitebook 8740 , it came with Windows 7, it was upgraded as soon as I received the notice Win 10 was available. It has been trouble free until this problem started.

I am not able to reply to Neemo because I just joined the Forum and I didn't have enough "Likes", Post" , a member long enough. I could not post with a linked file. Perhaps you could forward the LOG file for me? Or can I send the file outside the forum until I meet the requirements. Maybe hit me with a "Like" while you are at it To start me on my way to meeting the requirements). Eventually I will fit the criteria to meet the requirements. I am 76 so I may not live long enough to meet the requirements, in the meantime I shall continue to try to resolve my Folder problem

Thanks

Attachments

• Logfile.7z
    1.9 MB · Views: 251
Hi Guys,
I am having the exact same problem. I do not wish to step on someone's thread. Should I start a new thread?
I have no prob
Hi Guys,
I have no problem with having you along for the ride. The more people that can be helped the better we all are. If no respondents have a problem with you on the thread, welcome aboard.

I am sorry. I do not seem to be able to find a way to upload the Procmon Log File. Can you give me the simple version of how to accomplish this?

Attachments

• Ashampoo_Snap_2016.07.01_11h43m52s_002_.png
    Ashampoo_Snap_2016.07.01_11h43m52s_002_.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 372
  • Ashampoo_Snap_2016.07.01_11h43m52s_002_.png
    Ashampoo_Snap_2016.07.01_11h43m52s_002_.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 391
Can you both look at registry and see if this key exists HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0E5AAE11-A475-4c5b-AB00-C66DE400274E}

Hi,
I was having trouble uploading the LOG.7Z file. The problem has been resolved and the file is attached to your original reply., Thanks for your assistance.
>>>Hi Chuck; I was going to PM you that the forum Owner found a bug with your account and fixed it. That's why you were able to now upload your logfile to the thread!!:up: He asked me yesterday to let you know to try it again-but I got busy with personal issues and didn't get to it. Anyway, I see you have now uploaded the logfile Neemo originally asked for. I'm sure he'll take a look at it as soon as he gets a minute and get back to you with recommendations. In reviewing your posts, would you mind providing the hardware specs of your computer as I asked for?? That's a normal thing here, as if we provide software recommendations and they don't work, you'll have to provide us that information later on anyway.
From my Post #3 here's what we need again:

Thanks, and we apologize for the difficulties you had in uploading your file!<<<

Best,
BBJ

Chuck see if you can import this

Attachments

• shellfolder.zip
    514 bytes · Views: 177
Chuck and Terry unzip this reg file and double click it. Accept the prompt and then test opening folders.

Attachments

• Folder_Shell.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 189
Does this key exist? HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{11dbb47c-a525-400b-9e80-a54615a090c0}

Back