Windows 10 Desktop icon titles and menu text suddenly missing

Cecebee

Extraordinary Member
This is a weird problem. I am running Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit on a Lenovo laptop that has 2.3 GHZ Intel I5 processor. I am currently running version 1809 of Windows. For some reason when I went to start the computer for the first time in a couple of weeks the desktop came up with icons that have no text associated with them. The right click context menus for the desktop also fail to show any text. The start menu operates normally but the control panel has the same problems as the desktop, the icons are there but there is no accompanying text. Also, a right click on the blue, windows start icon in the lower left corner brings up a blank box. I tried opening my Outlook email and I got the system text okay but no text shows for email messages in the mail folders or in the message pane. Same is true for Excel and Word the applications will open with a blank slate showing only the command menu at the top. Oddly, neither application will close when I click the big X in the upper right corner. Right now I'm trying to install version 1909 to see if the problem resolves itself. Does anyone have a guess as to what can cause such an oddball problem?

This is an update. I just checked and the 1909 update didn't take. The problem remains. Any reasonable suggestions will be appreciated.

Back