Windows 7 Desktop not filling screen

zephyrtr

1920x1080 Rez won't fill screen; ATI 4800 card

When I'm set at 'optimum display settings' (1920 x 1080) a ~1" black frame surrounds the display, and text looks funky suggesting the picture is being artificially scaled down for some reason. This doesn't happen when I lower my resolution to 1440 or smaller.

My ATI 4800 series card's max resolution is 1920x1080 and my 24" monitor's native resolution is the same. They're connected via a HDMI cable (DVI-I to HDMI converter on the video card). Vista x32 always output clearly with this setup, but since my upgrade to W7 Ultimate x64, I've been having this problem.

Windows has updated my video card drivers, and I've also done so manually. Any help on what I can do?

Last edited:
Hi Zephyr,
have you looked for monitor drivers? I know some other users have had similar issues and installing the monitor driver did the trick.. Why not the monitors manufacturers web site?

Thanks for the suggestion! As soon as Acer gets around to putting out a W7 driver, my problem might be fixed. In the meantime I've been allowed to 1660 rez without issues so it's not life-or-death. Unless anyone else has any issues, or if a stroke of genius hits me, looks like I'm gonna have to just wait it out.

I had a similar problem with my HD 4850 when switching from vista to win7. I actually found a fix inside the ATI Catalyst Control Center. Open CCC and somewhere in the display configuration for your monitor ensure that there is no over/underscan. For some reason my CCC had a small degree of underscan turned on which led to the black bars you mentioned. A word of caution, when you start your games up and pick the native resolution the underscan may show up again. Just turn on any options for windowed mode and/or full screen and then turn off windowed mode again and the black bars should go away. Hope that helps!

I had a similar problem with my HD 4850 when switching from vista to win7. I actually found a fix inside the ATI Catalyst Control Center. Open CCC and somewhere in the display configuration for your monitor ensure that there is no over/underscan. For some reason my CCC had a small degree of underscan turned on which led to the black bars you mentioned. A word of caution, when you start your games up and pick the native resolution the underscan may show up again. Just turn on any options for windowed mode and/or full screen and then turn off windowed mode again and the black bars should go away. Hope that helps!

Great! Hopefully this will help others in the same situation...Thanks for posting :)

Yes, this does indeed work. If you go to CCC and hit "FORCE" and then select 1920 x 1080 i get a full clean image. Thanks for the help. I'll post other things related to this issue here if I discover them.

I have a Acer monitor H213h. I'm using windows 7. My resolution is at 1920x1080. But for some reason it does not fill in the whole screen on my monitor. Theres black side bars on each corner of the screen. Is that a way that I can fill the whole screen without losing any resolution?

I have a Acer monitor H213h. I'm using windows 7. My resolution is at 1920x1080. But for some reason it does not fill in the whole screen on my monitor. Theres black side bars on each corner of the screen. Is that a way that I can fill the whole screen without losing any resolution?

This is the third thread today about this... use the search feature here or google for the overscan/underscan fix.

Yes, this does indeed work. If you go to CCC and hit "FORCE" and then select 1920 x 1080 i get a full clean image. Thanks for the help. I'll post other things related to this issue here if I discover them.

I just tried the FORCE thing. but nothing changed... still black side bars.

Hi Zephyr,
have you looked for monitor drivers? I know some other users have had similar issues and installing the monitor driver did the trick.. Why not the monitors manufacturers web site?

Kemical is quite right, long time ago with my NVIDIA card I too used to have a resolution displayed wrong until I found, downloaded, and installed my monitor driver. If you can't find the monitor driver, try a different video card driver version. Or simply change your screen resolution.

Wrong Recommended resolution unable to do 1920 x 108 properly

I have a custom PC connected to a 46" Sceptre TV via vga. The native resolution of the TV is 1920 x 1080. I had vista on the pc at first and I just updated to Windows 7 ( clean install) . But windows 7 is recommending a resolution of 1360 x 768 which makes my games and 1080p movies play and look wierd. I never had this issue with vista, i was able to do 1920 x 1080 but with windows 7 when i put it into 1920 x 1080 both left and right edges are missing about 1nch and both side is unseen. so my start menu and clock is hidden. I use mircosoft driver and the video card drivers but to no luck

Im running a core 2 duo pc 2.6ghz with a LG GGC H20L Super Multi Blue, BFG-NVIDIA GeForce 9800, 6TB (total) Hard Drives.

I have read multiple forums about 1080p problems but I haven't seen any problem exactly like mine. I have updated and rollback drivers but still got a failure. I even updated my TV firmware and the problem still exist.
:frown:

Any suggestion on fixing my problem?

Folks, very likely you all need to install\reinstall\upgrade your monitor drivers, as exactly the same problem has been resolved this way by many other users all over the world.

it worked for me now. I just had to do the scaling option.

I have another question..

another question...if you can answer. before when I had vista all the videos I downloaded all played widescreen. Now with windows 7, its not widescreen anymore. Even when I put the raito to be 16:9 it wont go widescreen.
I use media player classic, or VLC. if you know how to put the widescreen back, please let me know.

Windows see the model of my monitor but it is register as generic PNP monitor. This monitor doesn't have a driver according to the manufactures website and I never needed one when I was running vista

0070bb56108004

34526f56108003

Back