Windows 8 Directplay not in windows 8.1

Desser90

Hello there. I'm trying to get a retail version of an old game running. The game runs, but I have a problem. I've searched around a bit, and the solution seems to be turning directplay on. I go to control panel, and to my surprise directplay isn't there, nor the legacy folder it's contained in. What's going on here? I thought direct play comes with 8.1

In windows features look for legacy components its in there.

Capture.PNG

Ok I've seen this before, go to Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center and download and install directx and then aftr a reboot check there :)
Okay cool, thanks man. The next time i have access to the internet I'll try it out. I'm trying to get several games that aren't running properly, such as Cossacks Anthology and Blade and Sword. I may as well ask here to not flood the forum with posts. I also have another issue installing a game, I put the cd in, and it reads just fine. The problem comes about when i try to run the setup.exe from the cd. In task manager the 32bitsetup just sits there hanging about, never actually executing. I've tried setting admin privilege, and even compatability mode nonw of which actually get the exe to run.

Have you attempted to copy the contents of the cd to a folder on the desktop? Try and run it from there.

Same problem. Been sitting there for a few minutes now.

Attachments

• 1525544673997-1715653677.jpg
    1525544673997-1715653677.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 532
Thats windows 8 can you update it to 8.1 as Windows 8 is no longer getting updates.

to answer your next question, you upgrade to Windows 8.1 from the Microsoft store... its free as long as your copy of Windows is activated

Back