Windows 7 Display driver stopped - How to update BIOS?

reflected

Hello,
I'd had a fully working PC when I had XP SP 3. My vcard is a 8800 TS 512.
Since I installed Win 7 32bit I've been experiencing this annoying error:
"The display driver has stopped but has recovered"
I've read through forums and I found that it was a common issue. using older / newer drivers didn't fix it for anyone. The only solution I found was to update the BIOS or something, like this guy:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...ver-has-stopped-responding-has-recovered.html

Well, until today I've never heard of BIOS updates and whatnot. Could someone explain how is it done? What do I need to download/ how to do it step by step...thanks a million in advance!

Greg

I found this for BIOS star:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Is tihs what I need?

then what does this mean?
"Update BIOS procedure should be run with Clear CMOS function, so please check on Clear CMOS first."
I have no clue :(

BIOSTAR-Bios Update

Is tihs what I need?

\"Update BIOS procedure should be run with Clear CMOS function, so please check on Clear CMOS first.\"

You need to hold off on using a third party program to flash your bios. Usually you get bios updates from your PC company... like Gateway or Dell and they come with instructions and a batch file that does it for you. A third party application can't update a bios anyway... unless they have the new codes. ... and if you should screw up when updating your bios.. your system is dead until you can locate, purchase and install a new one. It's got more legs than a centipede and a bit tricky to replace. You only have to mess up a bios flash one time in your life and you will triple... make that quadruple check everything and pray to your god while it's working from then on.

Also, I'm confused because you started out talking about graphics card problems and ended up with a link about flashing your bios. There is firmware for updating graphics cards.. but that is different than firmware for your motherboard's bios.

It may be time for you to call in someone with experience.

The original problem was described in the other thread I linked in.

under XP everything worked but since I have Win 7 sometimes the screen goes black for 5 sec, and it comes back saying "Display driver hs stopped but has recovered" or something.
I've searched trought forums, and the first solution was to use different drivers.
First I has the latest 191...driver.
Then I tried it with the 190....-OK for a week, then 3 errors in 5 minutes.
Now I've installed 186...drivers (win 7 32 version) - not tested it yet.

However, according to the forums no such thing has solved this problem yet. The only working solution was the one in the other thread, this BIOS thing + motherboard CPU chipset update. Is this latter one a totally separate thing? Shall I try that first before messing up my BIOS?

BIOSTAR-Bios Update

Is tihs what I need?

\"Update BIOS procedure should be run with Clear CMOS function, so please check on Clear CMOS first.\"

I can see why you think this would help and it might but then again it might not. As Tblount say's this not something to be taken lightly as it can be a potential motherboard killer if you get it wrong.. (I speak from experience)

Normally, depending on the motherboard make, there will be a couple of ways to flash the bios with third part apps being the most risky (more to go wrong) although looking at your site it looks like it's your only option. Just double check everything before you go ahead.

To clear the CMOS or bios you can either refer to your manual which will tell you which 'jumper' to use or use the time honoured method of removing the bios battery for a minute or so. All this will do is return the bios to it's factory default settings..
Best of luck with the flash. Post back if it doesn't fix the above..

I'm no expert so maybe I should take it to the PC store, so they can do it?
Or should I try to update my CPU chipset first and see if that alone solves the problem?

Here's my things to do list:
If the problem occurs with the newly installed older driver -> remove, restart, safe mode, driver cleaner, restart, let it install the newest one automatically. If the problem is still there -> update cpu chipset drivers. If still there -> PC store, & this BIOS thing.

Does this sound correct?

Yes, I would certainly update all of your drivers and then see where you stand.. If still no joy then before you go paying some bod to do it let's at least discuss your options and go from there...?

For what it's worth, I have the latest BIOS flashed for my motherboard *and* the latest Nvidia drivers and I'm still getting the "driver has stopped responding" error occasionally. I somehow doubt it's a problem with the motherboard. I think Nvidia just needs to put out more stable drivers for the new operating system.

Yes, that's my guess too...I reckon the best thing I can do is to experiment with different drivers and prey for a new one that has a fix for this. Someone said I should use old drivers, someone told me to use the newest possible. Quite confusing... :(

Thank, I'll download them if this one doesn't work - when I installed it, it restarted, blue screen of death when loading win, restart, works ever since.

BTW, is this normal?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

What the temps or the blue screen? The temps don't look too bad although what are they like under full load?
As for the blue screen and now it's working scenario.. I'm unsure.. See how you go and if everything stays the same then consider it solved.

The blue screen lasted 5 sec, it said something about dump memory or smth, and a count went up to 100.

Yeah, the temps are ok, still once every month a game crashes - freezes then windows restarts. Strangely enough it happened under xp as well. The PC store checked my PC 4 times, but found nothing. Maybe my PSU isn't enough? I have a Bluestorm 500, and I use plenty of hardware: stick, rudder pedals, throttle quadrant,, track ir....can it be related to the other issue?

No error messages so far.."knock on wood".
Not only have I installed the 185...drivers, but I also turned UAC off - not entirely just one level down. I'll turn it completely off if needed. Maybe there's no need to mess up my BIOS with an update?

Thanks for the link, but I'm far from knowing exactly what I have. My PSU is supposed to be enough, or just enough, but it's old and no name.

Today I was playing when the sound freezes and glitches started. I quit the game for 5 minutes, fired it up again and it worked fine. Does this mean anything?

hmm...normally i would say an overheating issue.. If it happens again try and see what your temps are....or Take the side panel off your pc and start playing something you know will produce the freeze/glitches. If they don't happen then you know it's down to heat and you need to get some air moving in your case...

Hmm...no "display driver" errors lately. (knock on wood).
Either it's because of the older driver, or it's me turning UAC off.

As for the temps, those are exactly my values when I get those glitches/freezes.

I've heard that even 70-80 C should be OK for a 8800 GTS 512. It's either my card or my PSU. But the tech guys have tested it like 4 times in the store and no glitches and crashes have occurred during 8 hours of running hard 3d test programs + those games I play. The only difference between my home and the store is all those game controllers I have - a whole cockpit, believe me :) can they suck that much power to make my Vcard underpowered under the heaviest strains? or can it be the current in the wall?

... during 8 hours of running hard 3d test programs + those games I play.

If you aren't running a hard drive fan doing all that... well you may not be back here to read this... so why am I typing?

Oh yeah... to let everyone else know that hard drive dual fans are ONLY $1.50 on eBay... with about $3 shipping from Hong Kong. Heat + hard drives = Device could not be found.

If you have a hard drive you can't read... an old timer's trick is to wrap it in plastic and put it in the freezer over night... install it and quickly snatch off your data before it warms up.

Fantastic. Nothing was wrong for a month, when yesterday my screen went black. This stupid crash again. I had to reinstall the Vcard drivers to get rid of the funny dizzy dots everywhere. It worked for a while, then it crased when I watched a movie. Reinstalled again, then it crashed when I was in the main menu of a game. The funny thing is, not even Ubuntu would work after such a crash. So I installed the drivers by the win updater, and as I was typing this message I got 2x "display driver stopped responding..." errors. Damnit!

Back