Windows 7 Display Problems CS5

Dave McKeen

Haalllp!! I have been using Photoshop CS3 until recently upgrading to CS5. Things were about as normal as things can be with a PC until I installed CS5. Since then I have been experiencing display problems while in Photoshop. My system configuration is below my signature.

Artifacts began showing up as two small rectangles of pixels from something I had been working on a little earlier. Examples attached. Zooms (except for 'scrubby' zooms) have become jittery and jumpy. Draws with a large brush take what seems ten times as long as I've been accustomed to.

I updated the 8800GT display adapter driver to the latest, Version 197.45. I have been into Computer>Properties>Advanced>Visual Effects and unchecked all the boxes. The radio button "Adjust for best performance" is selected. In Display Properties>Settings>Advanced>Troubleshoot I lowered Hardware Acceleration two notches.

No improvement.

I purchased the Zotac GeForce 9800GT, installed it and updated the driver to Release 256 family 257.21_desktop_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe. No improvement. Things got worse. After switching to the new GPU, panning/scrolling in ACDSee Photo Manager 10 became jerky and jumpy. Zooms in Photoshop CS5 seemed worse. Dragging a window is so jumpy it's unnerving. Resizing windows by dragging a corner now shows a dotted outline only, where before I could watch the window frame resize in real time.
I figured maybe it's something in the BIOS. The PQ5 is very overclockable, but I don't do overclocking. I left everything at default. That's a lot of things! I then tried a couple of adjustments in AI Tweaker in the BIOS. I changed "AI Overclock Tuner" from Auto to Manual and changed "Clock Skew" from Auto to Manual, but made no manual adjustments in either.

No improvement.

I've experimented with turning "Enable Open GL Drawing" on and off in Photoshop CS5 Preferences>Performance and don't see any difference. I am at a loss. I do tons of retouching in Photoshop and working with the display behaving like this is very fatiguing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks - Dave

display anomaly1.jpg

display anomaly3.jpg

display anomaly4.jpg

display anomaly2.jpg

ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA775, P45/ICH10R
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 LGA775 (Stock heatsink)
Mushkin 4GB Ascent (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066 P/N 996619
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W PSU
ASUS EN8800GT/HTDP/512M GeForce 8800GT GPU == ORIGINAL GPU ==
Zotac 288-2N115-000ZT GeForce 9800GT 512MB DDR3 256B == NEW GPU ==
HDD (C) WD740ADFD SATA1 74GB HD 10K RPM 16MB for OS
HDD (D) Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 SATA2 1Tb for Data
HDD (E, F, G) WD740ADFD SATA1 74GB HD 10K RPM 16MB for Apps; Photoshop temp file; Web Development; Windows Pagefile
Lite-On ATAPI iHAS124 A DVD±R DVD SATA DVD Drive
MS Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit
Monitor NEC MultiSync LCD2190 UXi

Hey...

First, I recommend that you set everything possible to it's default highest settings. What I mean is, everything you've touched such as visual effects, hardware acceleration and opengl in Photoshop.

Those should all be on and/or at the highest settings. With that hardware, there is absolutely no reason at all to touch these settings. We can find the problem somehow, but it is not because of any of these things.

------------

Photoshop CS5 has an available update. Please use the program itself to check for updates and install it.

-----------

After setting everything back to default (high/enabled...etc...), please type msinfo32 in the start menu then hit enter. File | save on the screen that opens. Then zip the saved file and attach to a post using the paperclip above where you type, in advanced mode reply. I will take a look at the system this way and there is a good chance that I will have quite a few recommendations.

-----------

Just to be sure, you are using Windows XP 32 bit as your specs say, correct?

Last edited:
Here is the monitor driver. The only download seems to be for Vista/7. You can try to install it anyhow which may prove to be very helpful.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Extract the download to a folder on the pc. Open device manager. Double click the monitors section. Right click on your monitor then choose update driver software. Browse my computer. Let me pick...Have disk. Browse.

Now find and double click on nl219uxi.inf in the extracted folder. Hit ok then hit next and it will install the driver.

Hello TorrentG,

Thanks so much! I set the three parameters to their highest setting except I left OpenGL>Advanced Settings>Mode on Normal. I can change it from Normal to Advanced if you think I should.

I have the latest update to Photoshop CS5, 12.0.1, installed.

The ZIPped msinfo32 file is attached.

I am indeed running Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit with the most recent updates.

I have the monitor driver installed that NEC recommends on its site for Windows XP 32-bit.

I appreciate your taking a look at this very much! - Dave McKeen

Attachments

• DaveMcKeenAsusP5Q.zip
    291.6 KB · Views: 218
Oh wow Dave. Looking at the info report, you have the most startup apps on a pc that I've ever seen, at least 10 times over. There are tons of things I would recommed to uninstall ot at the very least, stop from starting with Windows.

Before we get deeper into things, we could try this to see how it goes.

I don't have access to an XP machine right now so the instructions may need a little tweaking on your end to be exact.

Type msconfig in the start menu then hit enter. Go to the startup tab. Check the box to disable all. Hit ok. Then reboot and see how it goes.

This is going to disable everything on the machine from starting up, except Windows and other services. If everything seems well at this stage, we can work on enabling only necessary things wanted to start with Windows.

Good luck and let us know how this test goes for you.

Hey TorrentG, 10 times over eh? LOL!! Yes, there sure is a lot of stuff in there. Adobe is a big culprit, but they have lots of accomplices, it appears. The best time for me to do the deed with blocking the startups is when I'm doing a retouching/photo finishing job. That is when I've been seeing the unwanted behavior. I'm preparing for a shoot now and have a shoot tomorrow. I have two retouching jobs outstanding and will get to them when I get the lists of photos to finish from the models.

But can experiment with it on Saturday. I will pare it down but will research the startups that are Microsoft's to see if I can disable them safely. Like cfmon.exe. I read on howtogeek.com that i have to disable a Regional and Language option to make that one not reappear in spite of being blocked as a startup.

This is something I should have done all along. Thanks for the tip. I will report back.

- Dave

TorrentG, I'm sure you noticed it but since Photoshop is close to me heart, I just wanted to point out something you can start from when you start helping Dave. Lots of faulting module nvoglnt.dll with Photoshop which of course shows the Nvidia problem. But mainly lvhidsvc.exe - faulting module ntdll.dll which is LifeView remote control. LV causes issues with Photoshop and should be removed if he doesn't need it. It can take up to 99% CPU power. I read somewhere a long time ago that LV has fixes and patches for this problem, but if he doesn't need it he should remove it.

Of course I agree with you about his start up programs! :) It's like the computer of an F18!

Hello zvit, Thanks for pitching in! I can use all the help I can get freeing up Photoshop to do its work. I checked and don't find ntdll.dll, nvoglnt.dll or lvhidsvc.exe either in my msconfig startup list of in running processes in Task Manager. I can't find anything of LifeView's on the system. Do you think I should run autoruns?

BTW, I have unchecked about 70% of non-Microsoft startups in the msconfig list. So far have not noticed any adverse effects. I'll have to be doing a retouching job in Photoshop to really wring this thing out.

- Dave

Until TorrnetG gets back from his weekend, download HiJackThis HijackThis - Trend Micro USA and only do as I say:

1. Run the program
2. Click on Scan
3. Save a log (has a button)
4. DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE WITH THIS PROGRAM
5. upload the log here
5. Uninstall HiJackThis (so no one accidentally uses it)

While I look through it, try working while disconnected from the internet, and going to processes and end any process that is not essential to Photoshop and windows. I mean anything like Zone Zlarm, spyware software... anything you can. Then restart PS and see if the problem occurs. Also, why do you have Adobe Switchboard installed? I thought it doesn't support CS5?

I'll post as I go along.

First, your HOST file was hijacked. Follow TorrentG's instructions to get back the default:

Here is your hosts file. Seriously. Just copy and paste this into and then save this with notepad overwriting the one you have now at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Code:
127.0.0.1   localhost
You can add any entries to it you want in the future as long as you keep this as the top line.

Best way is right click your hosts file and choose open with... and open with notepad. Copy and paste and save.

You don't need Bonjour. Remove it:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

I see you use Sunbelt as your Antivirus. Make sure that you do not have any other Anti-Virus software installed on your computer that may have real time protection software with it. Running the two programs at the same time will cause conflicts on your computer.

Why did you install OFFICE and Photoshop on your E drive and not in C:\Program Files?

p.s.
G:\Programs & Upgrades\Utilities\Anti-Virus\Trend Micro\HijackThis\v2.0.4\HijackThis.exe
I love how you organize your folders! Great job! Editors and graphic designers that don't utilize this habit usually are bald from pulling out all their hair :)

Last edited:
"UpdReg" is not required to run at start up. It's just a reminder to register Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! cards. Remove it from msconfig32. Or go to your windows directory and rename updreg.exe to updreg2.exe

O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office Outlook 2007.lnk = ?
Shortcut that doesn't exist. Remove it from starting with Windows.

O4 - Global Startup: ColorVisionStartup.lnk = E:\Util\ColorVision\Utility\ColorVisionStartup.exe
This might be causing a problem with your display. Seems that with Nvidia, it causes issues. Try to uninstall it and see if that helps. Or disable Nvidia helpers and tools:
Spyder 2 Express

I would remove Windows Desktop Search. It is unnessasary.
FIXED - How to Remove Windows Desktop Search | Lance's Journal

I want to ask again, when you had CS3 installed, was it also on a drive other than C? I don't like that some Adobe components are on C: like CS5ServiceManager and others on E. It might not be an issue at all but it makes me uncomfortable.

I don't see any other issues in the log. If you installed anything between CS3 and CS5, I'd uninstall them and try PS again. Also, if the problem started at a later time after you installed CS5, do a system restore to a period that you had CS5 installed but all was good. (This should have been the first solution).

Also, I see you have quite a few antiEVERYTHING installed on your computer so fire them up, update their databases and start scanning away. Maybe it'll find something.

Good luck for now and after you did all the above, if it still isn't resolved, post again. I won't be able to sleep well if I know a fellow Photoshop user is in pain... :)

zvit,

Have not had a chance to go to processes and end any process that is not essential to Photoshop and windows. I will want to be doing a retouching job as that's when the glitch has been showing up. I have three retouching jobs outstanding. Just need to get the lists of photos from the models to get started.

I don't know why I have Adobe Switchboard installed. I disabled it in msconfig. It doesn't appear in Add/Remove Programs.

I fixed HOST

I removed Bonjour service

Sunbelt Software CounterSpy is my spyware utility. It includes an anti-virus which I have disabled. I'm using ZoneAlarm AV for firewall and virus protection. It uses Kaspersky AV engine.

Why did I install OFFICE and Photoshop on your E drive and not in C:\Program Files? I thought I was being smart. :eek:) Two (sets of) heads are better than one.

"I love how you organize your folders!" Thanks. :eek:)

I disabled UpdReg in msconfig

"O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office Outlook 2007.lnk = ?
Shortcut that doesn't exist. Remove it from starting with Windows." I copied a shortcut for Outlook to my Startup folder under my user name. Don't know why HijackThis says it doesn't exist. I want Outlook starting when the PC starts.

I rely on ColorVision starting up. It fills in the lookup table on the graphic card then exits. It in effect calibrates my monitor.

I depend heavily on Windows Desktop Search. This is what once upon a time was "Lookout" by another vendor. MS bought them out and changed its name. I use it many times a day to find the most recent email message in a thread.

"I want to ask again, when you had CS3 installed, was it also on a drive other than C?" Yes!

The video anomaly started showing up after installing CS5 as soon as I got into some heavy retouching.

"Also, I see you have quite a few antiEVERYTHING..." Only CounterSpy and ZA-AV should be active. They have a lot of components including Kaspersky so that's why it might seem like a lot of anti's.

Thank you for your help and for your concern over another Photoshop user's pain. :eek:) BTW, I am retired Telecom and do this for a hobby. Examples here:

Techno Imaging Home

- Dave

Zvit has made some really good posts.

I also have ZA with Kaspersky built-in on 3 machines here. Honestly, you don't need that CounterSpy active along with it. ZA and Kaspersky do an excellent job of keeping malware out and away on its own.

It up to you of course, but I recommend uninstalling CounterSpy. Then if you really want, use Malwarebytes for an extra scan once or twice a month. It doesn't start with Windows.

I was happy to uninstall CounterSpy and be done with Sunbelt Software!

I've been doing some heavy retouching in Photoshop since making the changes I reported earlier. That pesky video artifact is still showing up. Not as frequently, but still in the same spot. The contents of the little rectangle is from images I previously had open during the current session and they update from time to time. But their content can be from a file that's already been closed. A memory problem? Not on the video card for sure. I ran Memtest86+ V4.10 for a while and didn't see a problem.

There are also artifacts in the menu bar (the top bar) in Photoshop CS5. It affects the right 2/3rds of the bar. It covers up options like access to Bridge, the Adobe visual file manager. I can click where the Bridge icon should be and get no response. It's as though the OS is bit-blt'ing from another open application. Sometimes I see part of the IE title bar, etc.

HOWEVER- it dawned on me that at all times when the artifacts were visible Adobe Bridge was open. I've worked for a couple hours in Photoshop with Bridge closed and have not seen the artifacts. I'll keep on doing that as I retouch today. I still have other problems in Photoshop CS5 even with Bridge closed though. Painting with a big brush (700 pixels+) is dreadfully slow. A plugin I rely on a lot (don't know how to do my work without it) crashes Photoshop more than half the times I go to use it.

That's the latest. Is there a hardware diagnostic I can run to help find the gremlin? Would running a set of benchmarks be of any help?

- Dave

Have you turned on the Opengl acceleration again in Photoshop?

Make sure the plug-in that you're using is the latest update available for it. Perhaps it will stop crashing if you can find an update and install.

Plugins can be a DREAD-FULL pain. Post what plugin it is and I'll check it's compatibility with your system. To manually check this, uninstall the plugin and see if the problem goes away. (Uninstall ALL plugins, one by one while checking in between each uninstall) If it does, that's the problem. Even so, still post the plugin so I can see if something can be done.

Back