Windows 7 Does Windows 7 support fire wire?

bamagull

Here is my predicament. I have a LaCie 160G Porsche external hard drive that was formatted for a Mac (my daughter used it for a collage class I don’t own a Mac or have access to one). What I want to do is reformat it so I can use it on my PC. I have tried to use UBUNTU to try and format it but it does not see the drive. I have also plugged it into my PC and Windows7 does not see it or say anything about new hardware.
What I think maybe the problem is that Windows 7 does not see the fire wire correctly. When I go to device manager it shows up there with no error symbols. Any suggestions? I just want to get some use out of the drive besides a dust collector or paperweight. Don’t suggest use it for a boat anchor, not heavy enough.

If my link to Iomega does not work correctly, click on the Format Drive on the bottom and look for the section about formatting a MAC formatted drive to NTFS on a PC

I have not tried to open the case.

I was able to remove the drive from the case. Not at all hard to do. What I found inside was a Western Digital hard drive. I guess lacie only makes the cases. I will have to go buy a cable and try to format it now.

Did you ever try the procedure on the iomega page for reformatting the drive?

I got the IDE cable, installed the drive. Then booted into windows 7 and it actually saw thew files on the drive, even though the drive was formatted for a Mac. I then reformatted the drive and now all is well. I now have 160g drive for backup.

Back
Top Bottom