Windows 7 support will soon end.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by kemical, Jul 10, 2014.

1. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Microsoft are making it known that support for Windows 7 and other products will soon be changing. Vista and Win 7 will see extended support until the early 2020's but it seems Microsoft wants to close the chapter that was originally called 'Longhorn'.
    Mary Jo Foley writes in her article:
    Ref:
    http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-warns-of-pending-support-deadlines-for-windows-7-office-2010-sp1-windows-server-2003-and-more-7000031348/

2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Wow.... so less than 5 months and the jigs up. That seems a bit fast considering they just pulled the plug on Windows XP.
    OH Well..... onward and upwards

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Not really sure I would buy what the article suggests, maybe it is just Microsoft using scare tactics to get folks to switch. I wonder, if it was true, whether Microsoft is going to be willing to buy everyone new computers which are fully Windows 8 compatible...?

I can't even imagine the chaos resulting from such a move, considering the problems with Windows 8 in the last year or two. But if they see a way to push us into a pay as you go OS, I am sure they have the monetary incentive to go ahead.

4. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

I'll believe it when I see it.

5. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

Mainstream support will end January 13, 2015, Extended support will go to January 14, 2020. If they try to change one iota, unless upwards, I'll sue them for breaking a contract. --- Now, that would be interesting to witness! :hide: