Windows 10 Download Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10162 ISO

Say what you want about this build but after 10074 (or whatever that number was) basically trashed the experience on my Acer Timeline 1830T (i5 processor one) by making it no longer boot, I gave this new build a try while troubleshooting a bad install on 10130 led me here. It installed this time without any issues and I'm running it now in 64 bit mode. It's actually very stable and performance is really good. If this is close to RTM and they don't mess it up, I'll be celebrating my birthday (7/29) by doing this install on all of my machines.

But on my tablet (HP Slate 8) that had 10130 on it that didn't crash (most likely because it didn't have an AMD chipset), I downloaded the ISO and ran SETUP from within Windows 10. It installed with no issues and kept all of my settings.

Had no trouble activating. I have it running in VM. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Probably doesn't, but I'm running this outside of VM on both machines and no issues whatsoever that are worth mentioning. I still remember installing 10074 and being so annoyed by the fact that the whole OS just tanked and that you couldn't recover. Next time, I'll just image the drive every week which I should be doing anyway.

I would be surprised if the components are some what different systems may have a different affect on how won computer can work and another won't.

I'll just image the drive every week which I should be doing anyway.
Absolutely.... anyone working with beta (pre-release) software should be well versed in creating and recovering from system images.
Heck I even checkpoint my VMs.

It looks like the PIN sign-in and network access problem is still alive and well in 10162. I did a clean installed and while using a password my NAS was showing up just fine. I switched to a PIN sign-in and the NAS disappeared and will not let me access it even using the Network designation. I just get the error message and no Credentials box is ever presented.

This may work itself out after some time if I continue to try accessing it, but is it a little troubling.

Microsoft wanted to know why I did this clean install with a Local Account Sign-in and not a Microsoft Account Sign-In. I would have explained it but it didn't allow enough words for the response... ;)

Last edited:
Absolutely.... anyone working with beta (pre-release) software should be well versed in creating and recovering from system images.
Heck I even checkpoint my VMs.
Yes, I understand about working with a beta software and having images. I reverted back to Windows 8.1 in the meantime after that happened since I figured it would be a while before they fixed it or the next update would just install again.

I'm just glad that they managed to fix it before going to RTM so I don't have to consider dumping my old laptop which is still working better than many new computers I see for $500 in the stores. That Timeline 1830X has the last BIOS update as 2011 and it's still running really well considering. Best laptop I ever owned and it fits great in my purse.

As Mike said, that was the publicised key for the build. No reason at all why it should not have worked. - Mysterious?? Did you put that key in at the start of the installation, and it was, presumably, then accepted, so you could carry on with the install

Yes! I use the Preview version since the program was started :) ... on Build 10158 was activated...

Back